Hardware Rumor on a redesign for the 3DS

zanfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
didnt the ign artical say that nintendo is making an announcement about the 3ds hardware, ther is no way they would do this pre-TGS if it was just for saying "hey sales will be good!". I dont know what they will do, nintendo is clearly in the "who knows what they will do" catagory at this point in my book.

As long as they dont do something like "revise the hardware and add a 2nd analog" then tell everyone who bought one "sorry, sucks for you" then im fine with it....though a lite version IMO would be plain old stupid to say is coming all of a sudden, i could see some heavy backlash from that.

D

Deleted-236924

pachura said:
You can aim/turn you head with the slidepad and run around using the directional pad, this is perfectly enough.
*Attempts to move while using both the circle pad and the d-pad*
That would not work.
You'd have to use both your hands, one for the circle pad and one other for the d-pad.
But then you wouldn't be able to use every other button.

QUOTE(bik_84 @ Sep 1 2011, 01:30 PM) (never gotten over the fact that i bought a 250usd 3ds then a few months its 170usd)
This is your own damn fault if you decided to buy a 3DS this early.
Nintendo never guaranteed the price would stay stable.
Nobody ever forced you to buy a 3DS.
By buying the 3DS at full price, you acknowledged that the price could drop at any time.
(And if you hate the VC titles, sell your 3DS for full price to someone and then buy another one cheaper.)
You might be able to sell it for at least $200 if the system has access to the 20 free VC titles.

bik_84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@Pingouin7
yeah.. should have waited a few months before buying a 3ds(didn't learned my lesson from buying a wii).. I got swept by the hype and promises made by ninty.. So i dont think that there will be a third time.. hehehehehe
laugh.gif

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The article did not say it would be a hardware announcement, only that it would be 3DS focused and a "product announcement" which could mean games... it could mean a hardware redesign... My guess? Both.

I'm still thinking nintendo is going to rebrand the 3DS and release a cheaper non-3D design that can play 3DS games. The 3D screen is probably about 1/4th the cost of the unit, so that gives future customers the choice of the 3D enabled model for $170 and the non-3D one for $140 or so... This will make it much more competitive against the Vita and will minimalize damage to the existing userbase because existing owners won't be getting more screwed (why would they be? They got the premium version where as the new people will just have an option for a dumbed down version or the full featured version)

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
koji2009 said:
The article did not say it would be a hardware announcement, only that it would be 3DS focused and a "product announcement" which could mean games... it could mean a hardware redesign... My guess? Both.

I'm still thinking nintendo is going to rebrand the 3DS and release a cheaper non-3D design that can play 3DS games. The 3D screen is probably about 1/4th the cost of the unit, so that gives future customers the choice of the 3D enabled model for $170 and the non-3D one for $140 or so... This will make it much more competitive against the Vita and will minimalize damage to the existing userbase because existing owners won't be getting more screwed (why would they be? They got the premium version where as the new people will just have an option for a dumbed down version or the full featured version)

It is roughly $34 for both the 3D screen and touch screen together according to reports. Assuming same price for both, that's $17 for the top screen. Removing the 3D does not mean removing the top screen altogether as you suggest by a transition of $170 to $140 if the individual screen was 1/4 the cost of the unit. It would be "replaced" with a non-3D screen, so around half the cost, making it $8.50 for the replacement. Nintendo would save only $8.50 by making a non-3D version, yet that doesn't include redesigning the rest of the internal configuration of the device (because the screen isn't some Plug-n-Play component), the extra resources (time, energy, money, etc) for producing this extra "inferior" version, as well as changing the marketing & business strategies because of it. All of this in turn would hit Nintendo far more negatively that what is currently being done now. Nintendo is smart enough to understand that people can simply turn off the 3D effect if their eyes can't handle it, with the added benefit of more battery life when they do that.

BoxmanWTF

♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
koji2009 said:

that would make it's name essentially useless, the "3D-less 3DS" sounds terrible
IF they choose to make a cheaper 2D version of the 3DS, then eventually in a year or so, devs will just stop making 3d games, seeing as no one would buy them compared to the 2d version as those would be bought more as most 3ds owners would have the 2d version of the handheld.
All in all, it wouldn't be the 3DS anymore and Nintendo's vision of 3D gaming would be forever shattered

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thought you guys might be interested to see this.

391680324.jpg

Larger image on TwitPic

EDIT: Whoops. Found the thread about it about a minute after posting.
Guess that's what I get for being gone for days.

BoxmanWTF

♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
TehSkull said:
Wait. Doesn't this essentially fuck all Nyko Power Pak + users in the ass?
YEP! I broke my back plate in the process of installing it! looks like I need to order a new one for this crap!
yay.gif

FML, there goes the idea of portability

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Come on everyone, the second pad isn't a compulsory add on. The only game confirmed to utilize it is Monster Hunter Tri G (from the image), but there SHOULD be other control options.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chris888222 said:
Come on everyone, the second pad isn't a compulsory add on. The only game confirmed to utilize it is Monster Hunter Tri G (from the image), but there SHOULD be other control options.
If the add-on is optional, but functional in most games, (especially something like say KH3D) I'd buy it, but only for home use. Nyko Power Pak when mobile.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
TehSkull said:
chris888222 said:
If the add-on is optional, but functional in most games, (especially something like say KH3D) I'd buy it, but only for home use. Nyko Power Pak when mobile.

Unless the addon has extra unused depth to accommodate the added thickness the PowerPak+ adds, you could only use one or the other, and switching between the two would require having to replace the batteries, requiring disassembly of that area each time.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually happy about it myself... I never have an issue with battery life, mostly because I don't spend hours of my day away from the house and playing games at the same time (usually one or the other
wink.gif
)

And even if the second analog isn't used much, it still adds some extra space for my hands when using the 3DS... I have gotten hand cramps while using the system, I do believe the larger area for my hands will relieve that.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
I foresee a huge decrease in the 3DS resale value
grog.gif
Excuse me as I twiddle my thumbs waiting for the redesign, which will hopefully arrive around the time the games do lol

heat6jones

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The attachment looks awful and renders many accessories (cases, batteries, etc.) useless. Also it further diminishes the value of the 3DS since this all but guarantees a new model will be released that has two analogs.

By their actions, Nintendo has basically admitted that they overpriced the 3DS and that it was poorly designed.

Let this be a lesson to us all for when the Wii U comes out. I won't be buying it.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Rock Raiyu said:
If they do make a 3DS redesign so soon, it would be a big slap to current 3DS owners and it would certainly piss them off.
Well they did it with the first DS and the GBA. Nintendo doesn't mind slapping a few (million) people in the face if it means they're releasing something that's more likely to sell than the initial model.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell Kanye I need power
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Better start running in your hamster wheel
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay