[Rumor] Next Xbox requires always online internet connection, no used games, uses 50GB Blurays

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Having thought about it more. There ARE ways around it though regarding the second hand market that I feel would work.

Ok, lets say that all games on next gen DO tie themselves to a console, one game, one console, TO START WITH.

How about if games got released for a period of say 3 months at 100% or RRP. Then after 3 months, the price dropped 20%. Then say from the 6 month - 12 month period, the price dropped to 40% of initial RRP.

Then, say after a year of release, the restrictions on said game vanish, allowing that game to be sold on the second hand market. So basically, games cannot be used in anything other than the first console it was bought on, until a certain amount of time had passed. Thereafter some update kicks in when the game is booted and it will allow full play after this period of time.

That way, game companies WILL get more sales, and the second hand market will still exist for games over a certain age?

For me personally, I'd agree to that, and it helps out everyone does it not?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... Windows Vista, Windows 8, 60 bucks a year, no wifi until new model, GFWL (even though I've had no problems with it), Kinect, Windows Phone..... and you say they CAN'T be that retarded?

Windows Vista, it wasn't a retarded move, it was just not what people expected. Admittedly with later updates the OS is pretty solid and Windows 7 is basically just Vista minus what people bugged about them.

Windows 8, I think people blow it out of proportion. A universal OS for tablets, phones, and PCs is pretty neat. People just hate change.

$60 a year isn't quite retarded when they're raking in constant cash flow.

No WiFi, the early Xbox models didn't have one built in. Also there's tons of models that do have it.

GFWL, they get their cut of all games sold compared to Steam. And people go to it for a few games.

Kinect was a huge success, the complete opposite of a "retarded" decision.

Windows Phone... don't know what to say really, I haven't used one but I don't think they're bad.

I think you're confusing "things I get buttflustered about" with "smart business decisions that makes Microsoft a lot of money".

Reactions: Arras and Gahars

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
[time locked until second hand is allowed]

The trouble is that legally speaking the companies do not really have a leg to stand on with regards to complaining about second hand sales, they can try to say they do not approve (and I will accuse them of backwards/flawed logic) and they can provide incentives (quite fair) though. There are some interesting laws in various places but by and large that it exists at all and nobody has tried the legal way to stop it says an awful lot to me, I reckon I could probably make a case that such lockouts might even be anticompetitive though that is not so clear cut. Anyway all this given these people occasionally send C&D/DMCA/similar to people hosting game footage...... (I can see legal basis there though).

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Exactly. A loss of functionality that you'd expect. It's pretty much the same thing.

Updating the Xbox emulator actually gains more for the console.

Agreed but if by constant updates you mean stopped in 2007 was it then yeah. Also I will note there were some interesting things that happened with what developers were allowed to do what (there was a better example but Psychonauts did take a bit of effort to allow MS to make it happen).

Too bad MS stopped in 2007 indeed.
The hacked emulator allows for a bit more games which the official one "can't" execute.
Hello Kitty Roller Rescue is such an example.
It runs flawlessly on the hacked emulator yet it doesn't run on the official one.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To everyone else in the "OMG I'm giving up console gaming if this happens" boat, good luck. You're going to be giving up entire generations of gaming and the content and technologies that they have available because, again, it seems to be the "cool" thing to do. I don't have much more to say to that because frankly, I'm seeing that out of a ridiculous amount of people here and it's a few synapses short of retarded.

Also of note, IT'S STILL A FUCKING RUMOR.
I will be skipping it, or at least moving on to the DRM free system. Online only/No used games is really nonsense, and business suicide if you consider the size of the used game sales and the amount of people that don't have a constant internet connection. Look, I get that Steam is like that, but I don't play PC games. As a console only bitch, internet connection checks are a stranger to me. I also buy most of my games second hand in order to try them. It's basically an extended rent and if I don't like it, I can return it in 7 days. The added plus is that most of them come in cases for my collection.

Oh, and yes, it is still a rumor. Once these rumors stop being full of shit and start being true we can begin the incredibitchfests. Until that happens we'll continue speculbitchfests.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Having thought about it more. There ARE ways around it though regarding the second hand market that I feel would work.

Ok, lets say that all games on next gen DO tie themselves to a console, one game, one console, TO START WITH.

How about if games got released for a period of say 3 months at 100% or RRP. Then after 3 months, the price dropped 20%. Then say from the 6 month - 12 month period, the price dropped to 40% of initial RRP.

Then, say after a year of release, the restrictions on said game vanish, allowing that game to be sold on the second hand market. So basically, games cannot be used in anything other than the first console it was bought on, until a certain amount of time had passed. Thereafter some update kicks in when the game is booted and it will allow full play after this period of time.

That way, game companies WILL get more sales, and the second hand market will still exist for games over a certain age?

So you have no problem with having to rebuy all your games that are less than a year old if your console breaks?

What I see in this thread:

ShadowSoldier insisting that something is a terrible mistake and nobody is allowed to like it if he doesn't. Like normal.

"Online only? Bye future gaming consoles". Have fun.

@ShadowSoldier - Most Windows Vista problems have been fixed. It's still not the shining example of what an OS can be like Windows 7 is, but it's vastly improved form what it was.

Windows 8 - I take it you haven't used it. This is one of those things where you won't appreciate it until you actually use it. A free upgrade to 8 Pro through school has significantly changed my standing and appreciation on the operating system.

60 a year - That's... (under) a tank and a half of gas for my car. The cost of a new Xbox game. I don't make tons of money and $60 isn't that expensive.

No wifi in the beginning models - The PS3 says "Hi" as well.

GFWL - aside from the fact that it's not "Xbox Live for Windows", meaning it's lacking a lot of features that should be there, I feel like I'm the only person who's unmoved by its inclusion in games. It lets me log in to Live, get achievements, and talk with friends. That's about as far as it intrudes into my gaming experience.

Kinect - under utilized, but that doesn't make the device itself bad, it makes developer support bad.

WP7/8 - Again, I feel like this is somthing that you've probably never used, and it's not really fair to immediately hate something just because it's the "cool" thing to do.

To everyone else in the "OMG I'm giving up console gaming if this happens" boat, good luck. You're going to be giving up entire generations of gaming and the content and technologies that they have available because, again, it seems to be the "cool" thing to do. I don't have much more to say to that because frankly, I'm seeing that out of a ridiculous amount of people here and it's a few synapses short of retarded. If you haven't noticed, computer gaming has also been slowly and subtly moving in the same exact direction over the past few years for major titles. "But Steam has offline mode" and I've never ONCE gotten it to work. I'm sure it's something on my end, but over a few OS installs, it's never let me do anything with installed games if I can't use my internet connection.

And on the topic of unstable internet connections - in the few years we've had Verizon at my house, we've never once lost internet service. Other providers, yes, I know first hand that some of them suck (I'm looking at you, Comcast). But I don't think that the console will need to be CONSTANTLY connected to keep playing. If your internet drops for five seconds I seriously doubt you're going to be kicked out of a single player campaign.

Also of note, this has no impact on people who do not buy used games or sell their old ones.

Also of note, IT'S STILL A FUCKING RUMOR.

Windows 8 - Sorry, I don't have $500 to buy multiple touchscreen monitors as Windows 8 pretty much requires a touchscreen and only supports one app per screen (no multitasking/tiled windows anymore). Not to mention typing with a touchscreen for very long is painful (and don't say "well you can use a keyboard" because keyboards are depreciated and obsolete, touch/gestures only is the future!).

GFWL - If your Internet connection goes down you lose all access to your saved games (until it comes back up) unless you use a hack to make them work offline.

WP7/WP8 - All the restrictions of the iPhone but with an extremely limited app selection.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So you have no problem with having to rebuy all your games that are less than a year old if your console breaks?

Well, I don't see why that would be a problem. Surely if you are buying a new console, but wish to retain your gamertag or anything, then its just a case or ringing Microsoft and getting your licences transferred. Exactly the same as we do now with XBLA games if this problem occurs

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I don't see why that would be a problem. Surely if you are buying a new console, but wish to retain your gamertag or anything, then its just a case or ringing Microsoft and getting your licences transferred. Exactly the same as we do now with XBLA games if this problem occurs

Except that it wasn't. You had to keep ringing Microsoft until you got someone (and it often took WEEKS) who would create a dummy silver account for you and credit it with enough points to obtain all your games again and then you had to do it all manually by looking up what games you had and then going into the store and "repurchasing" them. So the way it will probably work is that you will have to send in your discs along with a "nominal" fee of say $15 USD plus shipping per disc and they will send you replacements assuming they are still making new copies of the game.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Windows 8 - Sorry, I don't have $500 to buy multiple touchscreen monitors as Windows 8 pretty much requires a touchscreen and only supports one app per screen (no multitasking/tiled windows anymore). Not to mention typing with a touchscreen for very long is painful (and don't say "well you can use a keyboard" because keyboards are depreciated and obsolete, touch/gestures only is the future!).

GFWL - If your Internet connection goes down you lose all access to your saved games (until it comes back up) unless you use a hack to make them work offline.

WP7/WP8 - All the restrictions of the iPhone but with an extremely limited app selection.
I have been using Windows 8 for almost half a year or something and I can tell you it's perfectly usable without a touch screen.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Normal users don't care about restrictions, just that it works flawlessly.

Oh it won't. If your Internet connection goes down for even two seconds you will end up getting kicked out of the game and losing all progress since your last save.

I have been using Windows 8 for almost half a year or something and I can tell you it's perfectly usable without a touch screen.

Have you been using cheats like Start8/Classic Start Menu (which Microsoft considers a bug and probably won't work after the next update) and the legacy desktop mode? Because you really should be using Metro/Modern mode because that is the future and eventually the legacy mode will be phased out completely.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh it won't. If your Internet connection goes down for even two seconds you will end up getting kicked out of the game and losing all progress since your last save.
Windows Phone dude. Why is the iPhone so popular even with all the excessive restrictions. What the fuck did you think I was talking about?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Except that it wasn't. You had to keep ringing Microsoft until you got someone (and it often took WEEKS) who would create a dummy silver account for you and credit it with enough points to obtain all your games again and then you had to do it all manually by looking up what games you had and then going into the store and "repurchasing" them. So the way it will probably work is that you will have to send in your discs along with a "nominal" fee of say $15 USD plus shipping per disc and they will send you replacements assuming they are still making new copies of the game.

Well in that case then I stand corrected. All I know is, is that when I had the issue, I was on the phone to them and it was all resolved more or less instantly, in one call, which lasted about 10 minutes. I then redownloaded my profile, and everything was working again

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Windows Phone dude. Why is the iPhone so popular even with all the excessive restrictions. What the fuck did you think I was talking about?

The (rumored) always online requirement of the next generation game consoles, what else? And the iPhone is so popular because it has a very good app selection, Windows Phone doesn't really have much.

Well in that case then I stand corrected. All I know is, is that when I had the issue, I was on the phone to them and it was all resolved more or less instantly, in one call, which lasted about 10 minutes. I then redownloaded my profile, and everything was working again

Yes, but that took a few years to implement, originally there were no DRM transfers of any kind not even for consoles replaced under warranty and the dummy silver account was a workaround some customer service reps came up with on their own (with Microsoft's approval). How long do you think it will take to implement a transfer system for disc licenses this time?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, but that took a few years to implement, originally there were no DRM transfers of any kind not even for consoles replaced under warranty and the dummy silver account was a workaround some customer service reps came up with on their own (with Microsoft's approval). How long do you think it will take to implement a transfer system for disc licenses this time?

I'm not saying it won't take them a while to implement, I'm saying that in this generation about 2 years ago it took me ten minutes to resolve. All I was stating was is that it doesn't take Weeks to resolve any more. So there would be no reason why they couldn't be better prepared next time around

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The (rumored) always online requirement of the next generation game consoles, what else? And the iPhone is so popular because it has a very good app selection, Windows Phone doesn't really have much.
I've already pointed out how much shit I'd give Microsoft and Sony if they did this. iPhone didn't have much of an app selection starting out either.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not saying it won't take them a while to implement, I'm saying that in this generation about 2 years ago it took me ten minutes to resolve. All I was stating was is that it doesn't take Weeks to resolve any more. So there would be no reason why they couldn't be better prepared next time around

I seriously doubt they will have any way to transfer disc licenses for the first year or two.

Sanoblue

The Fuzzy Blue Woof!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't buy it being required to have an internet connection 24/7..... it's not practical... people have shoddy internet all over... so say I am playing xbox 720... and someone else jumps on the pc and starts downloading and it takes over the net (yes pc's can cause lag and disconnections on game consoles) is my xbox 720 gonna freak the fuck out? hell no to that... it's not practical... not to mention ip changes and slow net days.... it happens people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy