1. kojima prod.PNG

Hideo Kojima is no stranger to pulling stunts to announce his games. He had an elaborate plan to create a fictional Swedish company, Moby Dick Studio, and used a bandaged actor to pose as the game director for an interview; all to tease a new game which turned out to be Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Similarly, he hid the real protagonist of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty from game trailers only for players to discover that they will be playing as Raiden for the majority of the game.

So when Abandoned was announced as a PS5-exclusive game from an unheard Dutch company with a fittingly dead (or shall we say, abandoned?) website, it wouldn't be surprising for fans to think that the game is actually being developed by Kojima Productions. However, since this theory erupted, Blue Box Studios' website rose from the ashes, writing that 'We will be right back!' and shared a post addressing the Kojima rumors:

rumors.PNG

This was corroborated by Jeff Grubb on Venture Beat who wrote that "the biggest piece of evidence I have that Abandoned is not a Kojima joint is that Kojima is in talks with Microsoft about publishing his next game, according to a source familiar with the matter". He also writes that Xbox's Phil Spencer hinted at this potential deal during a recent stream where he had a statue of Kojima Production's mascot, Ludens, next to the Xbox Logo.

While it's not confirmed whether Xbox closed the deal yet, Jeff Grubb writes that "Kojima is the focus of a Microsoft plan to leverage Japanese talent". Of course, these news should be taken with more than a grain of salt but if it turns out to be true, it would be an interesting development since Hideo Kojima has favored PlayStation platforms for his games in the past. Maybe this potentially Xbox-exclusive game could be a timed exclusive like Death Stranding was which released on PCs less than a year after being available on PS4. Would you like to see an Xbox-first game from Kojima Productions?

:arrow: SOURCE

2. Discussion (28 replies)

3. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Serbia, Republic of
    Collab with sony was pretty abysmal. See no reason why it should be different now.

4. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    If true, it's because Death Stranding sold better on PC than expected. I could definitely see Microsoft locking Sony out of Kojima's next release for a year or even more, but I don't think they're suddenly gonna go back to doing Xbox-only exclusives. It'd be a simultaneous launch for Xbox and PC.

Last edited by Xzi, Apr 8, 2021 at 9:22 AM
    Scott_pilgrim and rad140 like this.
  5. Anon_Cypher_

Anon_Cypher_ GBAtemp Regular

Lebanon
    But I don't have enough money to go and buy EVERY gaming console.

6. GBADWB

GBADWB GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I mean you dont, if microsofts vow to release all titles on Xbox Series on PC is a thing, unless you don't have a PC, then that'd be 100% on you given that a majority of titles will end up, or eventually end up on PC to cover the majority of titles between platforms

rad140 likes this.
  7. depaul

depaul GBAtemp Maniac

France
    Phil Spencer is a gift to gaming! I see in him the successful leader.

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  8. tfocosta

tfocosta GBAtemp Z-Warrior

Canada
    I don't see why not. I like Kojima and I like Microsoft too. Let's see how this goes. ^_^

9. Anon_Cypher_

Lebanon
    Blame the country that I live in, then. It sucks that I have to wait a few years before buying a new game let alone a new console. And as for PCs, I do have one, but I don't think it's able to run any decent games. It's either that, or I just suck at knowing how good my specs are...

tfocosta, Scott_pilgrim and depaul like this.
  10. MetoMeto

MetoMeto GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    Exclusivity is stupid no matter how you look at it.

rad140 likes this.
  11. GBADWB

GBADWB GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Of course its stupid, but if one doesn't support the one device that's the most open of them all (PC) then you're funding into the behavior of exclusivity.

If a game will have cross platform, if it runs into any problem, its is likely not on the PC side. Outside of PC mainstays (many rts, strategy, MMOs and such), PC's are the most likely platform to receive something that used to be exclusive, be it Sony Titles such as Horizon Zero Dawn, Control, Persona 4 or Death Stranding, Microsoft titles which is basically all of them at this point (for the most part) or even titles on Nintendo Consoles such as what will be Monster Hunter Rise, Daemon X Machina, and to a lesser extent, games like Octopath Traveller.

Companies are more willingly nowadays willing to port what would have been console exclusives to PC. Im not saying that PC exclusives are good(they aren't) but its clear that PC is and will always be, the most open platform if you want one device that does it all.

Last edited by GBADWB, Apr 8, 2021 at 11:23 AM
  12. depaul

depaul GBAtemp Maniac

France
    You're not alone my friend! PS5 official price in Egypt is 1000$
    https://gamerant.com/ps5-egypt-pre-orders-price-high/
    "The PlayStation 5 will cost 15,999 Egyptian Pounds, which equals approximately $1,000 US dollars."

13. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Addict

Depends, if say Fallout 5 sells a **** ton of consoles/subscriptions and that was their main goal, I don't think MS will think it's stupid to make it Xbox/PC/Xcloud exclusive.

Now from a consumer perspective......

rad140 likes this.
  14. Drogy

Drogy Member
    Newcomer

Bermuda
    Suuuuuuuuuuuuupaaaaaaa

^_^

15. MetoMeto

MetoMeto GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    And that's a good thing that many games get PC releases also!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

i AM a consumer..........

16. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Addict

I was responding to your post saying "Exclusivity is stupid no matter how you look at it.".

My point is that they use it for a reason.

rad140 likes this.
  17. Digs

Digs GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is Jeff Grubb reliable? I didn't pay much attention to the rumor mill last year, but I remember a lot of people being mad his August predictions being wrong. Or maybe it was his Nintendo predictions..? I don't know, I just remember people angry in August about him.

Last edited by Digs, Apr 8, 2021 at 12:33 PM
  18. notimp

notimp Well-Known Member

Laos
    I'm the guy that came after the guy, that sold all the Software Studios. I'm successful leader.

;)

All snark aside, this is probably a good move.

depaul likes this.
  19. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

The way Microsoft is creating their ecosystem right now I'm genuinely concerned the PS5 generation might be a poor one.

20. BitMasterPlus

BitMasterPlus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Whether true or not, I'd like to see Kojima's next game regardless (also obligatory fuck Konami post lol).

Hot damn, how do you pay for that in Egypt? With actual Pharoh's gold?

Scott_pilgrim, rad140 and depaul like this.
  21. Anon_Cypher_

Lebanon
    Same here. It also doesn't have any warranty.

Scott_pilgrim and depaul like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Productions, allegedly, Microsoft