[Rumor] Next Xbox requires always online internet connection, no used games, uses 50GB Blurays

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you_7a153d_662564.jpg

Don't people know this has been a trend for many already? Quite a few PC games require online to play (I'm looking at you C&C) and most recent PS360 games require online passes at least for online gaming. Hopefully the internet requirement is trashed. Otherwise the console isn't playable in the future after it becomes retro..

That's why hackers are a godsend, so legit users don't have to connect to the internet to use a game to when your apartment's ISP sucks balls.

zanfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
until it's ALL digital, this is just a great way to kill consoles. Glad I'm about to get a Wii U, don't have to deal with that crap on there.

also expect piracy and hacking to just explode after that happens.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to clarify on my earlier post I'm worried about the longevity of future games. As someone who likes to collect old video game consoles I worry that future games will only be good as long as their servers are online. We can't honestly expect said servers to be online forever and thus the consoles and games will likely be unusable in a few years time.

As for why this is important? Just for the sake of being able to play the games once they become "old". There's no better feeling then busting out a 15 year old console and game and reminding yourself both how awesome things were and how far we have come.
And one last thing, call me entitled but if I buy something I expect it to remain as I bought it 10 years from now. The car dealership doesn't come take the keys to your car after 10 years so why should the gaming industry be any different.

EDIT: And before anyone says they can just patch everything at the end of the consoles life, this is possible but there's no guarantee they will. Yes I know steam carries the same risk but I'm more willing to deal with that because pretty much every game with steam as drm has a crack, because a lot of steam games have physical copies that will work regardless, and that steam is a good value requiring no real initial investment and offering games cheaper then on consoles.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
they'll just shaft you for xboxlive to gain enhanced features, whilst peeps with internetless consoles get singleplayer games at their most primitive. Charging for internet play is the whole reason myself and most of our friends have wii /wiiu ps. It's the American tip mentality pushed into consoles :)

JustChillin1414

<3 Tiny Tina
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Unless Microsoft is insanely stupid I don't see this happening. If this were true a ton of users would jump ship, there's just no way that this is a good move.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Because Games For Windows Live was such a smashing success that it's not like they pushed it anyways because they still thought it was a good idea, only to revoke parts of it later?

If this does come out, I forsee a system update that removes some/all limits because many companies don't understand what annoys consumers until it impacts the wallet.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
So if you can't get your game online, your right to play a game you paid for on a console you paid for will be taken away from you?

This is my main gripe with offline games that require constant online access. If I paid for it, I wanna be able to play it whenever, no hoops.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do people still cling on to these "rumours"? Most of the time, they're false, and are created by websites trying to get as many clicks as possible.

Anyways, I'm going to play devil's advocate here, and state that locking down used sales will actually help to increase the turnover for developers. With used sales eliminated, there is a high chance that publishers will start to sell their games cheaper. The number of sales are obviously going to increase, and they'll actually be getting money for each sale so there's simply no reason not to reduce the price. On top of which, just like how developers don't like to develop for systems with high levels of piracy, they also wouldn't want to develop for systems where gamers can buy used copies of a game. As a result, you'll start seeing a huge amount of exclusive titles on the system. Thus if you want to play those exclusive titles, you'll have no choice but to purchase the system and pay the full retail price for the game.
We might see a significant drop, but most likely not until the later part of the console's life cycle. Same thing with exclusive games. I won't be buying the next gen or any other gen after if such a system is confirmed. Making a solid pricing list may alleviate the apprehension, but for the most part, these consoles will bomb if these rumors stop being full of shit and start being true.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows Vista was rushed, Windows 8 isn't bad, 60 bucks a year is easy to pay, no wifi is disappointing (though excusable), (GFWL?), Kinect was a good idea for a target market that's not you, Windows Phone is smexy, and yes.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Windows Vista was rushed, Windows 8 isn't bad, 60 bucks a year is easy to pay, no wifi is disappointing (though excusable), (GFWL?), Kinect was a good idea for a target market that's not you, Windows Phone is smexy, and yes.
Windows Vista still sucks, Windows 8 is horrible compared to 7, 60 bucks a year is hard to pay for some people otherwise I'd pay for it for PS+ but I can only do 3 months at a time, no wifi isn't excusable, Kinect was a good idea but they fucked it up by only having one game that actually worked that wasn't even developed by them, Dance Central and Dance Central 2.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still rushed and in fact they fixed most of it (don't use it? If you do, that's your fault). Get over it. Then don't (just continue to complain about it). It is when there's a elegant (albeit expensive) solution available (that, or buy the new model, and again get over it). What part of 'target audience that isn't you' do you not get? Still haven't answered what the hell GFWL is. Microsoft is a corporation not a single person, so calling them retarded is painting you the same shade of black. Much like that infamous kettle I think.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Still rushed and in fact they fixed most of it (don't use it? If you do, that's your fault). Get over it. Then don't (just continue to complain about it). It is when there's a elegant (albeit expensive) solution available (that, or buy the new model, and again get over it). What part of 'target audience that isn't you' do you not get? Still haven't answered what the hell GFWL is. Microsoft is a corporation not a single person, so calling them retarded is painting you the same shade of black. Much like that infamous kettle I think.

Games For Windows Live.. jesus christ.

There's one thing I noticed about you posting on these forums Sterling, every time somebody says something bad about a group or something, you try to play the White Knight. I mean look what happened when everybody was bashing Nickelback.

Another thing is, Kinect is still shit. It doesn't work. The only reason why it's selling is because of uninformed consumers thinking it does, thinking they'll get a bunch of great titles and everything, when really, they only have two (Dance Central 1 and 2).

Reactions: Sterling

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Vista hate is overblown. It was no spring chicken at launch, sure, but all the issues were patched out pretty well. It became a fine OS, and a good foundation for 7 to be built upon.

The Windows 8-Hate train is similarly overblown and knee-jerky. I don't think it offers enough to warrant an upgrade, and it has its drawbacks and flaws, but horrible? Hardly.

You pay for quality. I've been keeping quiet during a lot of the PS+ vs. Live debates because I've been through this countless times already, but I guess I'll chip in here. I am a happy customer of Xbox Live. Sure, a price tag sucks, but you pay for quality. I adopted early with the PS3, and my time with PSN was... rough, to say the least. I jumped ship and found Live to be the superior service by leaps and bound; I hope it has changed since then, but my early experiences left a sour taste in my mouth. Sure, I think Microsoft could price the service better (letting Silver users have full access to Netflix would be a nice start), but it's hardly the ripoff people seem to think it is.

Wifi would be nice, but you have to remember, the original consoles launched back in 2005. Wi-fi wasn't nearly as ubiquitous as it is now. Judging an 8 year old console by the standards of today is hardly reasonable.

The Kinect is incredible technology put to waste. It's really sad to see great tech wasted on crappy games. Still, the mods are pretty cool, and I'm excited to see what it can do when it's applied elsewhere.

But guys, can't we find common ground? Surely we can all agree that GFWL is a shoddy mess that should have been put out of its misery long, long ago, right?

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Games For Windows Live.. jesus christ.

There's one thing I noticed about you posting on these forums Sterling, every time somebody says something bad about a group or something, you try to play the White Knight. I mean look what happened when everybody was bashing Nickelback.

Another thing is, Kinect is still shit. It doesn't work. The only reason why it's selling is because of uninformed consumers thinking it does, thinking they'll get a bunch of great titles and everything, when really, they only have two (Dance Central 1 and 2).
If I don't do it, no one else will. Because I'm not the hero GBAtemp wants, but the hero GBAtemp needs.

EDIT: Oh, that's what GFWL stands for? Really people? You can't fucking take ten more seconds to type that shit out?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1