Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
720.jpg

I call bs on this...unless its true and Microsoft has an upgrade option like they did with the Original Xbox.

QUOTE said:
Last week, Microsoft's Shane Kim told us that the launch of the 360's motion-controlled camera system - Project Natal - would be as big as a console launch. Maybe he was onto something with that.

Because 1UP are reporting a rumour that while Natal will be released next year for existing 360 consoles, it will also be released next year as a standard inclusion with a new Xbox console, due out in the Fall.

This console won't be as "new" as we're accustomed to with console generations; rather, 1UP say it'll be a slight improvement over the existing Xbox 360 technology, with games able to run with slightly faster framerates, or with slightly better graphics than those on the "older" 360 consoles.

Sounds crazy, but as 1UP point out, it's not that different to what Nintendo did the Wii; repackage existing hardware and re-release it in a new casing with a new control method.

I don't know how I like (or put much stock in) the idea of two 360 consoles, especially two with varying hardware configurations; what's to stop developers from optimising for the more powerful unit and leaving owners of the older 360 with a sloppy, sub-standard product?

Hopefully that's not a problem, and if true, the "new" console is just a rebranded, repackaged 360. Maybe in a smaller box, with a snappier name. First impressions, fresh start and all that.

We've contacted Microsoft for comment, and will let you know if/when they get back to us.

News Source: Kotaku

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh come on..
the tech has moved very fast. There could be so much to update on the hardwares of the 360.
better graphics, sound, etc. everything can be improved.

Whats the point of the "redisigning..."

kalmis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Hmm I really hope this is not true. It is just now we are starting to see excellent games for Xbox360. And didn't some MS chief recently talked something about wanting a long lifespan for Xbox360 ala PS2 10 year style?

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I would actually be glad. This is a new chance for Microsoft. If their hardware is truly good this time and won't break in 50% of the cases I'm sold.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
But this isn't a next console is it? It's just a slightly improved hardware revision with Project Natal bundled. And I most certainly think this is true, Microsoft would be dumb not to push the hardcore to buy new hardware with slightly improved graphics, and to push the casual by marketing this new hardware revision for them (which it most likely will be, a casual-esque push for the system).
I think this is exactly what Microsoft needs and wants to do, and if this proves successful, they could take some wind out of the Wii's sails/sales.

EDIT: And on interoperability between the hardware revisions, Microsoft have a hell of a lot of money, and can at least afford to push companies to take advantage of newer hardware (while also sacrificing nothing on the original) at the start of this newer hardware's life - this would at least create more appeal for the console in the short run. However, I have to agree I can't see a scheme like that being successful in the long run, developers will probably just not bother with the extra graphics power unless pushed by Microsoft.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trolly said:
But this isn't a next console is it? It's just a slightly improved hardware revision with Project Natal bundled. And I most certainly think this is true, Microsoft would be dumb not to push the hardcore to buy new hardware with slightly improved graphics, and to push the casual by marketing this new hardware revision for them (which it most likely will be, a casual-esque push for the system).
I think this is exactly what Microsoft needs and wants to do, and if this proves successful, they could take some wind out of the Wii's sails/sales.

EDIT: And on interoperability between the hardware revisions, Microsoft have a hell of a lot of money, and can at least afford to push companies to take advantage of newer hardware (while also sacrificing nothing on the original) at the start of this newer hardware's life - this would at least create more appeal for the console in the short run. However, I have to agree I can't see a scheme like that being successful in the long run, developers will probably just not bother with the extra graphics power unless pushed by Microsoft.

Seconded. I reckon this is real, although it won't be as big as a new console it will be more popular than DSi that's for sure. (UK anyway)
Anyways, 'bout time microsoft "1upped" one on PS3 like Sony has been trying to do for ages.
Even more offtopic: Microsoft can buy exclusivity for ANY game with the amount of £££$$$£££$$$ they have right now

JDandy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Raiyu245 said:
Sounds crazy, but as 1UP point out, it's not that different to what Nintendo did the Wii; repackage existing hardware and re-release it in a new casing with a new control method.

Oooh burn.
But seriously, I doubt microsoft will release a new console, whether it uses old tech or not. Natal is supposed to increase the 360's lifespan up to 2015, and releasing a new console would do the exact opposite.
That said, did anyone say what Natal is, concretely? Is it a peripheral you attach to your TV, or is it (not likely, but hey) a speshul gaming TV?

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sure hope Microsoft doesn't do this.. I would never want them to follow the footsteps of Nintendo.

Don't worry, it's fake.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trolly said:

+7...million

Exactly what happened to the PS3 in my opinion
sleep.gif

Just imagine the price of this thing, that if it exists.

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow i think the new xbox wouldn't really be a big improvment because there still releaseing awesome stuff for the 360 not sure on the new one tho

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can