• Replies 143
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nah, Zelda games just bore the fuck out of me.

Right now, the only boring part in Skyward Sword for me (playing through it for the first time), is the first three temples and getting there. Otherwise, I find all handheld Zelda games to be boring as shit (minus OoT 3d). I hated the Oracle games, Link's Awakening was dull, Minish Cap was pretty fun but too confusing, and the DS Zelda games.... don't even get me started on those pieces of shit.

I don't know why they can't do an overhead Zelda game like ALttP.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
It feels and plays exactly the same as the original and looks mildly better, and that's coming from someone who played both. You're likely blinded by franchise loyalty.
I'm sorry, I'm willing to let people have different opinions, but have you even TOUCHED the game? The controls are smoother, the frame rate is better, the visuals are LOADS better, and the game makes full use of the 3DS's special features not present in the original (touch screen, 3D effect, gyro). Plus the addition of boss gauntlet, and master quest which you've only played if you were lucky enough to get that rare promotional gamecube disc years ago. If you think it's not worth buying again, then fine, that's your opinion. But to say that it plays exactly like the original and looks "mildly" better is just flat-out objectively wrong.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm sorry, I'm willing to let people have different opinions, but have you even TOUCHED the game? The controls are smoother, the frame rate is better, the visuals are LOADS better, and the game makes full use of the 3DS's special features not present in the original (touch screen, 3D effect, gyro). Plus the addition of boss gauntlet, and master quest which you've only played if you were lucky enough to get that rare promotional gamecube disc years ago. If you think it's not worth buying again, then fine, that's your opinion. But to say that it plays exactly like the original and looks "mildly" better is just flat-out objectively wrong.
I played both games and didn't see much difference between them other than graphics. I didn't experience the loading times issue from the N64 as I played it on the Wii. As for the 3D effect, it's sort of expected from a 3D 3DS game. I haven't seen any game mechanics using the gyro, but then again, it was a brief gaming session. As for the touchscreen use, c'mon - putting menus on the touchscreen is hardly a "feature", it's merely displacement.

In any case, what's changed is the exterior of the game - on the inside, at its core, the game "feels" dated. It mirrors the original perfectly, and in a lot of ways it's its downfall in my eyes - it really does feel like a 14-year old game. Now, to be fair, most of the "early polygon-based games" have that feel.

weavile001

Spiritmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i agree , but for the ``rare gamecube disc´´ part, anyone can download it anytime since 2006- 2007

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I played both games and didn't see much difference between them other than graphics. I didn't experience the loading times issue from the N64 as I played it on the Wii. As for the 3D effect, it's sort of expected from a 3D 3DS game. I haven't seen any game mechanics using the gyro, but then again, it was a brief gaming session. As for the touchscreen use, c'mon - putting menus on the touchscreen is hardly a "feature", it's merely displacement.

In any case, what's changed is the exterior of the game - on the inside, at its core, the game "feels" dated. It mirrors the original perfectly, and in a lot of ways it's its downfall in my eyes - it really does feel like a 14-year old game. Now, to be fair, most of the "early polygon-based games" have that feel.
There's optional gyro aiming in first person mode. You can also use the gyro as a limited "camera" of sorts while holding the L button (one of my favorite new features, personally).

And touchscreen menus are cool, but that's not all I was talking about. I was referring mainly to touch commands. permanently mapping look/Navi and the ocarina to the touch screen means that's two more free buttons you can use, and you don't have to constantly swap the ocarina with other items. It also means you can shortcut four items instead of three, which is really nice (three always felt like one-too-few to me, in any Zelda game). Those are definitely features, not just displacement (I suppose an argument CAN be made for the N64 having 3 hard keys for items instead of two, but that doesnt bother me, anyway).

And though this is a given with ANY game on the DS or 3DS, it really IS nice to have a mostly clean "main" screen, with only a tiny map and action button on it, with everything else moved to the bottom screen.

Regardless, I do agree it does feel "dated," design-wise, at least. But what are you gonna do? Completely revamp the game's design? You can revamp the game's control (which they have), and I suppose you can add extra content, but if you mess around too much with the main game, you might as well make an entirely new game instead.
i agree , but for the ``rare gamecube disc´´ part, anyone can download it anytime since 2006- 2007
Not on actual hardware with an unhacked Wii you can't. Idk about other countries, but Master Quest isn't available on the US WiiShop.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Regardless, I do agree it does feel "dated," design-wise, at least. But what are you gonna do? Completely revamp the game's design? You can revamp the game's control (which they have), and I suppose you can add extra content, but if you mess around too much with the main game, you might as well make an entirely new game instead.

Not on actual hardware with an unhacked Wii you can't. Idk about other countries, but Master Quest isn't available on the US WiiShop.
I wouldn't know - I had both on my Wii, so I'm pretty sure they must be downloadable on the EUR store (they were "original" wad's :creep:). That said, the "dated" feel of the remake disqualified it for me as a fully priced game. I much prefer the "Resident Evil: REMake" approach - pretty much everything was swapped and the mechanics were "updated", but not to the point where they were alien to the player. I found it very enjoyable, far more than the original. Similarily I enjoyed "MGS: The Twin Snakes" - the graphics were completely re-made, the game felt more fast-paced, camera control was improved and the added First Person shooting mode changed the general approach towards sneaking situations. It was, in a lot of ways, a "new game" which presented the events of the old game successfuly.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't know - I had both on my Wii, so I'm pretty sure they must be downloadable on the EUR store (they were "original" wad's :creep:).
There was an unofficial "injected" WAD of Master Quest, but never an official VC release (as my Googling just showed). Real shame, too since I'm sure there's so many people who didn't get to play it that would like to. As for me, it doesn't really matter since I was lucky enough to stumble upon a copy of the GameCube version last year (and I also have the 3DS version).

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is it that all Zelda threads go like this:
"HOLY SHIT, REMAKE, 3D, GRAPHICS, CELEBRATED 10 YEAR OLD GAME WANT!!!
And then every other 3DSthread:
OH MY GOD NINTY, NO MORE REMAKES, WANT NEW GAMES, ORIGINAL STORIES, BAAAAAAH!

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

You're ignoring the fact that OoT 3D is a portable version of one of the best rated games ever. Many people buy games they've already played just so they can take them anywhere. That said, I agree with you OoT3d feels the same as the original, although the minor improvements in the game were kind of nice.

Reactions: chavosaur

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're ignoring the fact that OoT 3D is a portable version of one of the best rated games ever. Many people buy games they've already played just so they can take them anywhere. That said, I agree with you OoT3d feels the same as the original, although the minor improvements in the game were kind of nice.

Because Ocarina of Time totally fits a portable format of gaming? Sorry the game isn't terribly portable and I really don't see any reason to play it more than once. I didn't find the game that spectacular.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why is it that all Zelda threads go like this:
"HOLY SHIT, REMAKE, 3D, GRAPHICS, CELEBRATED 10 YEAR OLD GAME WANT!!!
And then every other 3DSthread:
OH MY GOD NINTY, NO MORE REMAKES, WANT NEW GAMES, ORIGINAL STORIES, BAAAAAAH!

I can answer that for you friend, the GBAtemp userbase generally have double standards.

Another example the whining over CoD's lack of evolution over the years yet still still wetting themselves silly over the next Pokemon game.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Because Ocarina of Time totally fits a portable format of gaming? Sorry the game isn't terribly portable and I really don't see any reason to play it more than once. I didn't find the game that spectacular.

Didn't say ocarina of time fits a portable format, just stated that people love owning portable versions of their favorite games. I would actually prefer owning Majora's Mask 3d, since it's full of side quests and has a 3 day limit. I think it would be great on a portable, but yet Nintendo chose the most famous version of Zelda to release so they would make more money. :(

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo would do better with this, if they just switched this crap to virtual console.
Look at the PSP an all the sales it's made in PSX games. Everyone would love to take their favorite console game, and play it on a handheld, but for a reasonable price. Hell that's why people emulate.
Nintendo however, is still so far behind on what people want from virtual console. Ok, we get it, The NES and Gameboy had some semi-fun games. It's time to step it up a notch, and move on to SNES and GBA, and N64. They've seen how much it sells on WII, what in the WORLD is stopping them from doing it to the 3DS

Reactions: emigre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Probably because the game cover looks like it's meant for little kids