RUMOR- Castlevania Mirror of Fate 3DS? Lords of Shadow 2?

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by granville, May 22, 2012.

1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    [​IMG]

A Dutch Nintendo news site (n1ntendo.nl) has reported that Konami is developing a new Castlevania title exclusive to the Nintendo 3DS. The game is said to be titled Castlevania Mirror of Fate and it is said the game will be formally unveiled at this year's E3 next month. While Konami themselves have refused to comment on this, two website domains were registered yesterday by Konami with that exact title- castlevania-mirroroffate.com and castlevania-mirroroffate.net. This seems like confirmation of the game's existence at the very least in one form or another.

Now for the parts you should take with a grain of salt- It is rumored that a sequel to Castlevania Lords of Shadow is in development and will also be shown at E3. It is said that the game will be released for PS3, 360, Vita, and Wii U. This game remains a rumor at this point. If true, Konami should have quite an E3 showing. This same source has stated that Mirror of Fate is a sidescrolling game with co-op elements and will have some sort of connectivity with the Wii U version of the Lords of Shadow sequel.

Stay tuned for E3 early next month. Then we'll see just how much of this ends up being true!

[​IMG] Source #1
    [​IMG] Source #2

2. sentinel5000

Member sentinel5000 GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    All Im gonna say bout this is: Its about DAMN time!!!!!!!! Finally a 3DS game, long long due!

3. ChaosBoi

Member ChaosBoi Ushiromiya Battler

United States
    If Mirror of Fate is going to take place in the same universe as Lord of Shadow, it seems my hopes of the series going back to the original timeline has just been shattered :( . I don't have anything against LoD, but if they are going to discontinue the original storyline then the series is pretty much dead to me. I really hate it when the original story still has so much potential or unexplained things and the devs decided that they will no longer run with it.

4. sentinel5000

Member sentinel5000 GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    Hopefully mirror of fate will be in 2D with 3D objects and not a full 3D game like LOD, I hope its that way...

5. SpaceJump

Member SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Germany
    YES, a new Metroidvania for 3DS! It was bound to happen! Konami delivers where Nintendo fails...

1 person likes this.
  6. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I'd hope for 2D pixel art, but that doesn't sit well with stereoscopic 3D so I won't hold my breath.

7. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    There is zero proof that this will be a Metroid-vania. It's not impossible of course, but the only thing we know for sure is the title. Odds are in favor of a 3DS release, but nothing else is confirmed at all. Rumors of it being a sidescroller, but that could also mean something else besides the SOTN style. Also no word as to whether IGA is on board with this.

3D works fine with 2D art. Mutant Mudds is a good example of 3D in a 2D game done right.

1 person likes this.
  8. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    Nice, I think all the Metroidvenia-typ Castlevania games are beyond amazing and I honestly hope that they'll stay true to the formular from SotN, since I thought they made some questionable choices with OoE design-wise (still a good game though).

Also I'm with granville on this: 2D spritework with 3D for depth looks awesome. For example in Mighty Switch Foce it looked particularly good with all the particles and such...

There is a rumor about Lords of Shadow getting a sequel, too.

2 people like this.
  9. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    This better be motherfucking Metroidevania...

3 people like this.
  10. Lube_Skyballer

Member Lube_Skyballer GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    PLEASE
    Let it be 2D! Symphony of the Night-style! Metroidvania!

11. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    Fuck yes.

12. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I'm hoping the 3DS version is much more like the 2D Castlevania games, I definitely see the console/Vita versions playing like a Lords of Shadow sequel rather than, y'know, proper Castlevania.

If that's the case I may end up laying down some cash for a 3DS, I really did enjoy the DS Castlevanias (well, just Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia really) and this would be the "killer app" I was looking for (since I heard Tetris Axis was kinda shit anyway).

3 people like this.
  13. pristinemog

Member pristinemog GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Love me some Lords of Shadow. I'm just a few 110% completions away from a platinum trophy. That said, there goes another reason for me to get a 3DS... but only when Etrian Odyssey IV gets a release date.

14. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    More details on these rumours:

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=177680

1 person likes this.
  15. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    It either has to be metroidvania, or action like Curse of Darkness (and good luck with that on a 3DS).

LoS was the biggest pile of shit i've ever played with the Castlevania name loosely slapped onto it.

16. pristinemog

Member pristinemog GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Aww, I shed tears for you and Gabriel Belmont :(. Looks like I'm in the minority of people who actually liked Lords of Shadow.

17. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    If a castlevania game is on the 3DS, day one buy for me.

18. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    A Castlevania for the 3DS? Finally! I now might have a reason to actually go out and buy a 3DS!
    Also Lords of Shadow was seriously awful, it does not deserve a sequel.

19. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Fuck yes.

1 person likes this.
  20. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    I hope it's a metroidvania. I also hope they tone the difficulty way back from Ecclesia and back to the typical metroidvania difficulty. That shit was too fucking hard, I don't care if old school NES CV was hard too, part of what I like about metroidvanias is I can actually finish them.