RUMOR- Castlevania Mirror of Fate 3DS? Lords of Shadow 2?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
castlevanialogo.jpg

A Dutch Nintendo news site (n1ntendo.nl) has reported that Konami is developing a new Castlevania title exclusive to the Nintendo 3DS. The game is said to be titled Castlevania Mirror of Fate and it is said the game will be formally unveiled at this year's E3 next month. While Konami themselves have refused to comment on this, two website domains were registered yesterday by Konami with that exact title- castlevania-mirroroffate.com and castlevania-mirroroffate.net. This seems like confirmation of the game's existence at the very least in one form or another.

Now for the parts you should take with a grain of salt- It is rumored that a sequel to Castlevania Lords of Shadow is in development and will also be shown at E3. It is said that the game will be released for PS3, 360, Vita, and Wii U. This game remains a rumor at this point. If true, Konami should have quite an E3 showing. This same source has stated that Mirror of Fate is a sidescrolling game with co-op elements and will have some sort of connectivity with the Wii U version of the Lords of Shadow sequel.

Stay tuned for E3 early next month. Then we'll see just how much of this ends up being true!

icon11.gif
Source #1
icon11.gif
Source #2

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If Mirror of Fate is going to take place in the same universe as Lord of Shadow, it seems my hopes of the series going back to the original timeline has just been shattered :( . I don't have anything against LoD, but if they are going to discontinue the original storyline then the series is pretty much dead to me. I really hate it when the original story still has so much potential or unexplained things and the devs decided that they will no longer run with it.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd hope for 2D pixel art, but that doesn't sit well with stereoscopic 3D so I won't hold my breath.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YES, a new Metroidvania for 3DS! It was bound to happen! Konami delivers where Nintendo fails...
There is zero proof that this will be a Metroid-vania. It's not impossible of course, but the only thing we know for sure is the title. Odds are in favor of a 3DS release, but nothing else is confirmed at all. Rumors of it being a sidescroller, but that could also mean something else besides the SOTN style. Also no word as to whether IGA is on board with this.

I'd hope for 2D pixel art, but that doesn't sit well with stereoscopic 3D so I won't hold my breath.
3D works fine with 2D art. Mutant Mudds is a good example of 3D in a 2D game done right.

Reactions: 1 person

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nice, I think all the Metroidvenia-typ Castlevania games are beyond amazing and I honestly hope that they'll stay true to the formular from SotN, since I thought they made some questionable choices with OoE design-wise (still a good game though).

Also I'm with granville on this: 2D spritework with 3D for depth looks awesome. For example in Mighty Switch Foce it looked particularly good with all the particles and such...

There is a rumor about Lords of Shadow getting a sequel, too.

Reactions: 2 people

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm hoping the 3DS version is much more like the 2D Castlevania games, I definitely see the console/Vita versions playing like a Lords of Shadow sequel rather than, y'know, proper Castlevania.

If that's the case I may end up laying down some cash for a 3DS, I really did enjoy the DS Castlevanias (well, just Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia really) and this would be the "killer app" I was looking for (since I heard Tetris Axis was kinda shit anyway).

Reactions: 3 people

pristinemog

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Love me some Lords of Shadow. I'm just a few 110% completions away from a platinum trophy. That said, there goes another reason for me to get a 3DS... but only when Etrian Odyssey IV gets a release date.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More details on these rumours:

- Nearly a 1.5 year development cycle.
- Stars two different playable characters.
- Features co-operative play with the prospect of 3DS and Wii U being able to interact with each other.
- 2D Castlevania experience.
- the goal was to find creative ways to utilize the 3DS’ cameras and this has been achieved due to the very name of the game, “Mirror of Fate”.
- The forward facing camera will act as a mirror and the outward facing cameras will come into play for a new puzzle solving mechanic.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow II

- originally a Wii U version of Mirror of Fate was in the works
- the idea was that Mirror of Fate on Wii U would be the same game as its 3DS outing, with the Wii U controller serving as the 3DS' bottom screen and your TV as the top
- you would be able to play the game across both platforms
- this idea was put aside to instead bring an enhanced version of Lords of Shadow II over to Wii U
- development of Wii U’s own ground-up Castlevania sku could still happen

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=177680

Reactions: 1 person

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It either has to be metroidvania, or action like Curse of Darkness (and good luck with that on a 3DS).

LoS was the biggest pile of shit i've ever played with the Castlevania name loosely slapped onto it.

pristinemog

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It either has to be metroidvania, or action like Curse of Darkness (and good luck with that on a 3DS).

LoS was the biggest pile of shit i've ever played with the Castlevania name loosely slapped onto it.

Aww, I shed tears for you and Gabriel Belmont :(. Looks like I'm in the minority of people who actually liked Lords of Shadow.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope it's a metroidvania. I also hope they tone the difficulty way back from Ecclesia and back to the typical metroidvania difficulty. That shit was too fucking hard, I don't care if old school NES CV was hard too, part of what I like about metroidvanias is I can actually finish them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak past the light and kill that giant mosquito.