Hardware [Rumor] 3DS Lite is in the works

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there are plenty of things that can be added and improved on with the 3ds.
id like to see a new iteration of the hardware,but the same system size,anything smaller would be uncomfortable i think,but with a better 3d screen perhaps a little bigger and with a higher bar count paralax barrier, they had no glasses autostereoscopic 3d led tv at ces this year that had a new technology they said had a 9 bar paralax barrier so that even a if you had like 6 people over lined up on a long sofa they could all see the 3d, i notice the sweet spot for the 3d on the 3ds is very small and you have to position it just right, and in some games ,especially where there is a bright light on screen ,like the torches on either side of the hyrule castle gate in oot or the wall sconces in RE revelations you can ALWAYS see ghosting no matter what you do ,how you hold it ,or adjust the slider the ghost image just wont go away, that needs to be fixed,its annoying , and a 2nd analog ,this would be great for GC ports such as a wind waker port so original control scheme can be used, , and also a 2nd infacing camera for a 3d facetime like video chat app, , i know people complain about the batt life but im fine with it , the screen could be brighter though and it could have a more matte finish its waaaaay too reflective
and the hinges suck too, they dont stay ,the system always snaps all the way open if you try and leave the screen tilted at an an obtuse angle , also the placement of the headphone jack should be moved ,

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
also the placement of the headphone jack should be moved ,
where would you personally suggest it be moved? If you move it on either side, headphones would get in the way of your hands during gameplay. Which kind of sucks, because that would be much easier to keep in your pocket as a music player, but it gets in the way of gaming.

Ice Punch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
where would you personally suggest it be moved? If you move it on either side, headphones would get in the way of your hands during gameplay. Which kind of sucks, because that would be much easier to keep in your pocket as a music player, but it gets in the way of gaming.
Don't why Nintendo decide to have it in the middle of the system. Doesn't the DS lite have it closer to the edge?

JFTS

Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
I'd love to see a 3DS XL with the circle pad pro! PS Vita's screen is mind-blowning; Nintendo can't always stay on 3.5 inches.

Reactions: 1 person

Gnargle

The day I set a profile picture is the day I die
Trophies
XP
Country
Nikkei also said Capcom were pulling support for the 3DS after Mercenaries.
They don't know shit.

MADKATZ99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't see anything too wrong with it to warrant buying a new one, my screen doesn't scratch and the battery life doesn't bother me.

Another circle pad would be nice, though. Although I'd much prefer to spend the $20 on the peripheral than $300 again on basically the same thing I have...

CCNaru

Warn-free Since 2005
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Should've done research? "if"?

Game Boy -> Game Boy Pocket
Game Boy Advance -> Game Boy SP
NDS -> NDS Lite -> NDSi

if anyone thinks Nintendo won't have any "revisions" to their console is delusional. 3DS is selling pretty well in Japan too...lol

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My guess is that it'll be an XL. Really; if it's almost the same size as the DS Lite and some people are already complaining about hand cramps, why would they need to make it any smaller?

MasterMan194

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Don't why Nintendo decide to have it in the middle of the system. Doesn't the DS lite have it closer to the edge?
One of the things i love most in my PSP GO i the ability of pairing my Nokia bt headset. Why 3ds has IRda and not Bluetooth?

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes thats true and it also depends of the headphone plug too, cause some are straight and some have that L shape plug

RE4zombie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys keep thinking too DS --> DS Lite ish. Just because it got smaller that's not necessarily what Ninty would do with a revision, seeing as it is, as you have all said, already small enough. I can think of plenty of improvements for a '3DS Lite':
  • Longer battery life
  • 'Wider' 3D effect
  • 'Deeper' 3D effect
  • Fix the screen scratch problem
  • 2nd analog stick
  • Better hardware for smoother / better system features
  • Bigger touch screen
  • Smoother / sleeker casing

THIS. Although, I would rather have a larger version with a bigger battery and second analog stick than a lite version of the 3DS. It is already almost too small.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see anything too wrong with it to warrant buying a new one, my screen doesn't scratch and the battery life doesn't bother me.

Another circle pad would be nice, though. Although I'd much prefer to spend the $20 on the peripheral than $300 again on basically the same thing I have...
id much rather sell my old 3ds outright and buy a new 1 with a built in 2nd analog even if it was going to cost me 30 or 40 $ or more
plus you would get the new features, and i can see a new model having a better 3d screen the technology exists and it will become more ubiquitous as time goes on so this will be an old 1st gen autostereoscopic screen , im not sure what the new htc uses and if it is the same screen as the 3ds but i think it is bigger and it may be better too
the 3d is good but like i said if you have a bright object on the screen there is ghosting that you cant get rid of, im not sure but im guessing a screen with a higher bar count paralax barrier could fix that

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You guys keep thinking too DS --> DS Lite ish. Just because it got smaller that's not necessarily what Ninty would do with a revision, seeing as it is, as you have all said, already small enough. I can think of plenty of improvements for a '3DS Lite':
  • Longer battery life
  • 'Wider' 3D effect
  • 'Deeper' 3D effect
  • Fix the screen scratch problem
  • 2nd analog stick
  • Better hardware for smoother / better system features
  • Bigger touch screen
  • Smoother / sleeker casing

I have to disagree with the second analog stick.

Do I have to remind you people of how many add-ons were released for the previous Nintendo handhelds? None of them were built in in the next revision of any of the previous Nintendo handhelds.

It was an example... :glare: Jeez, use your common sense. It also depends on how often the 'add-on' gets used. For example the wii remote plus was just an add-on at one point until it did actually get developed into every wii remote.
Agreed on most points, however I will add my 2 cents.

1. The second analog stick belongs on the revision, stock. It's a situation perfectly analogical to the Motion Plus as mentioned before.
2. I doubt there will be any changes as far as the internals are concerned. The firmware isn't even perfected enough to use the horsepower provided, system instabilities are caused by the fact that the 3DS was like a "global beta" - it was released lacking certain functionality, that was a deliberate action.
3. The 3D screen definatelly needs some enhancements, but here it's really not an issue with Nintendo but with SHARP - they need to perfect the manufacturing process, we need to keep in mind that the 3DS is one of the first devices using that kind of a display.
4. Longer battery life, not necessarily via means of higher capacity batteries (always welcome, but that will make the price go up) but by means of controlling the stepping of the CPU/GPU depending on demand. It can be implemented as a Battery Saver option - simple as that.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
ADD SOME MORE FUCKING INTERNAL STORAGE! WHAT THE FUCK NINTENDO? 2GB IS SHIT. PURE SHIT.
I'm pretty sure you're trolling but it's better to have swappable storage than stuck with internal :wink:
I wholeheartedly agree, let's not go the Apple way here.

The only purpose of internal storage is to put some Demo's on when the console's on a display at the store, download updates when the user has no SD at bay or put files that need to be accessed at higher speeds then what an SD provides.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i hate apple for not putting sd slots in their devices its the stupidest thing ever and mac whores cant even see how stupid it is, especially since they R@APE you for their memory and only have 64 gb

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: