Rules for iPhones/iPod touches

alidsl

I am now a lurker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well now I've seen quite a few threads that touch upon things that are/might be illegal

The Gbatemp rules say no linking to illegal warez, but is linking to an illegal repo or talking about where to find an illegal app counted as "warez"?

I think that the gbatemp rules need to change to incorperate jailbreaking legalities

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, jailbreaking is just "changing" some important things in the iPod firmware, which may or may not be legal here. After that, it seems perfectly safe.

alidsl

I am now a lurker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes but people get away with it because some repos are legal such as big boss and zottd, there are no legal romsites
laugh.gif

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
alidsl said:
Yes but people get away with it because some repos are legal such as big boss and zottd, there are no legal romsites
laugh.gif
They're not getting away with anything if the repo hosts legal legitimate files, I doubt it's necessary to change all the rules just for iDevices, GBAtemps basic rules are, if it's illegal, don't post it.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Rule 1 - Don't buy one there pathetic

I jokes...... or do I
ph34r.gif

I do see what you mean, I have seen a few repos mentioned lately, but as you say aslong as they are ones like Bigboss which just hosts homebrew, themes ect it should be fine
biggrin.gif

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
alidsl said:
Yes but people get away with it because some repos are legal such as big boss and zottd, there are no legal romsites :lol:
There are legal "romsites". The official mame site hosts legal roms, there are some C64 devs who have given their permission for games to be hosted and some abandonware sites host both legal and illegal content.

I was obviously talking about people linking to app repos with illegal content.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
George Dawes said:
There are legal "romsites". The official mame site hosts legal roms, there are some C64 devs who have given their permission for games to be hosted and some abandonware sites host both legal and illegal content.
Whoaaa !!!!.... Are you telling me that there's such a thing as LEGAL downloads of ROMS ????? AND we can post those links on GBATemp ?????

If so why hasn't anyone ever posted them up before ???? (mind you what forums WOULD they put it under ???)
Could some1 post them !!! or would that be asking too much ????

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
George Dawes said:
Whoaaa !!!!.... Are you telling me that there's such a thing as LEGAL downloads of ROMS ????? AND we can post those links on GBATemp ?????

If so why hasn't anyone ever posted them up before ???? (mind you what forums WOULD they put it under ???)
Could some1 post them !!! or would that be asking too much ????
They've been posted before just that people need to be 100% sure that they are indeed abandonware or freeware. There have been a lot of Abandonware sites that have hosted titles that are still being sold and have never been abandoned by those who own the rights.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
^ I See - so really it's a 'grey area' to what's a legal ROm and what's not... OK forget my request about links then

No it's not a grey area. If it's not being sold anymore, the developers give permission to put it up, or the copyright expires then it's a legal rom. It's just some legal romsites put up roms that still don't fit under any of those categories.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay