Rules for iPhones/iPod touches

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by alidsl, Jun 23, 2010.

1. alidsl
    OP

alidsl I am now a lurker

May 27, 2009
    Kanto - Pallet Town
    Well now I've seen quite a few threads that touch upon things that are/might be illegal

The Gbatemp rules say no linking to illegal warez, but is linking to an illegal repo or talking about where to find an illegal app counted as "warez"?

I think that the gbatemp rules need to change to incorperate jailbreaking legalities

2. Slyakin

Slyakin See ya suckers

Oct 15, 2008
    United States
    Soviet Slyakin
    Well, jailbreaking is just "changing" some important things in the iPod firmware, which may or may not be legal here. After that, it seems perfectly safe.

3. alidsl
    OP

alidsl I am now a lurker

May 27, 2009
    Kanto - Pallet Town
    Jailbreaking is completely legal just like flashcarts

It's what some people post about jailbreaking

4. George Dawes

George Dawes Wanker

Nov 11, 2009
    Chad
    your wife's corpus uteri
    linking to repos is no different to linking to "warez sites", but I've seen quite a few people do it recently.

5. alidsl
    OP

alidsl I am now a lurker

May 27, 2009
    Kanto - Pallet Town
    Yes but people get away with it because some repos are legal such as big boss and zottd, there are no legal romsites [​IMG]

6. luke_c

luke_c Big Boss

Jun 16, 2008
    Land of England
    They're not getting away with anything if the repo hosts legal legitimate files, I doubt it's necessary to change all the rules just for iDevices, GBAtemps basic rules are, if it's illegal, don't post it.

7. Danny600kill

Danny600kill xD

Aug 3, 2009
    United States
    Manchester
    Rule 1 - Don't buy one there pathetic

I jokes...... or do I [​IMG]

I do see what you mean, I have seen a few repos mentioned lately, but as you say aslong as they are ones like Bigboss which just hosts homebrew, themes ect it should be fine [​IMG]

8. The Pi

The Pi Lurker

Mar 18, 2010
    Scotland
    If they only have homebrew there fine
    but if they host cracked apps a mod will beat you about the head

nuff said.

9. George Dawes

George Dawes Wanker

Nov 11, 2009
    Chad
    your wife's corpus uteri
    There are legal "romsites". The official mame site hosts legal roms, there are some C64 devs who have given their permission for games to be hosted and some abandonware sites host both legal and illegal content.

I was obviously talking about people linking to app repos with illegal content.

10. CannonFoddr

CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

Sep 23, 2006
    Sitting by computer
    Whoaaa !!!!.... Are you telling me that there's such a thing as LEGAL downloads of ROMS ????? AND we can post those links on GBATemp ?????

If so why hasn't anyone ever posted them up before ???? (mind you what forums WOULD they put it under ???)
    Could some1 post them !!! or would that be asking too much ????

11. Hadrian

Hadrian Better than Craigslist

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    They've been posted before just that people need to be 100% sure that they are indeed abandonware or freeware. There have been a lot of Abandonware sites that have hosted titles that are still being sold and have never been abandoned by those who own the rights.

12. CannonFoddr

CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

Sep 23, 2006
    Sitting by computer
    ^ I See - so really it's a 'grey area' to what's a legal ROm and what's not... OK forget my request about links then

13. DeltaBurnt

DeltaBurnt I'm bored

Feb 21, 2009
    United States
    Where intellect matters
    No it's not a grey area. If it's not being sold anymore, the developers give permission to put it up, or the copyright expires then it's a legal rom. It's just some legal romsites put up roms that still don't fit under any of those categories.