Hacking Rudolph vs. NDStation

Anthraxx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh hi. I found my 3-in-1 in the mail today, and I've spent the last few hours playing around with it, testing it's capabilities and so forth. Using an R4, I need a 3rd party application to write GBA ROMs to the 3-in-1. I've been using Rudolph's tool with moderate success, experimenting with interchanging saves and ROMs. I haven't done exhaustive tests, but it seems like for PSRAM and NOR, the ROM's .sav file is automatically written to the /GBA/SAVE directory. If so, under what circumstances is it imperative that the user uses the manual backup features of Rudolph's tool? Also, does the ROM's save type (EEPROM, Flash or SRAM) ever need to be taken into account? It worries me that the interface only ever refers to SRAM saves.

Anyway, since this has practically become a blog (which I'm morally opposed to), I'll cut to the chase. Is Rudolph's Tool better than NDStation? I don't care about the "more integrated and unified" feel. Is either more/less reliable/fast/stable/prone to failure/etc? I have little understanding of NDStation, but I assume it creates a .nds container that integrates a GBA ROM, .sav file, a piece of code to write the memory each time and some header data. Is this accurate.

Thanks for reading through that epic wall of text, and any insight into anything I mentioned is appreciated.

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rudolph's tool and NDStation are different methods to a properly patched GBA game to load onto the 3 in 1. There are advantages and disadvantages for each program.

Rudolph is a tool that you'll have to be dependent on to load the properly patched roms onto the 3 in 1 if you're using the R4.

NDStation has a more streamline solution that packs additional data to each GBA rom to make it a NDS file instead. If you're trying to "cut the fat" so to speak, and you have a lot of GBA ROMs, then the extra wrapper added to make GBA and NDS file might be something you may not like.

From the best of my knowledge, both of these tools are always improving. I personally like Rudolph's tool because I'm a lazy bastard that doesn't like change. I have a shotgun in one arm, with a bottle of Jack in the other... sitting on a rocking chair on the front porch, etc.

moozxy

hamboning
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've been using Rudolph's Tool aswell, but after reading about the Ndstation thought it was great and tried it out.. Buuuut it didn't work -.- it just got stuck on the Winner of summer 2007 coding blahblahblah..

jsmith45

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh hi. I found my 3-in-1 in the mail today, and I've spent the last few hours playing around with it, testing it's capabilities and so forth. Using an R4, I need a 3rd party application to write GBA ROMs to the 3-in-1. I've been using Rudolph's tool with moderate success, experimenting with interchanging saves and ROMs. I haven't done exhaustive tests, but it seems like for PSRAM and NOR, the ROM's .sav file is automatically written to the /GBA/SAVE directory. If so, under what circumstances is it imperative that the user uses the manual backup features of Rudolph's tool? Also, does the ROM's save type (EEPROM, Flash or SRAM) ever need to be taken into account? It worries me that the interface only ever refers to SRAM saves.

Anyway, since this has practically become a blog (which I'm morally opposed to), I'll cut to the chase. Is Rudolph's Tool better than NDStation? I don't care about the "more integrated and unified" feel. Is either more/less reliable/fast/stable/prone to failure/etc? I have little understanding of NDStation, but I assume it creates a .nds container that integrates a GBA ROM, .sav file, a piece of code to write the memory each time and some header data. Is this accurate.

Thanks for reading through that epic wall of text, and any insight into anything I mentioned is appreciated.
The reason Rudolph's tool only refers to SRAM saves is because that is the only type of save the EZ-3-in-1 supports.
That is one of the main reasons most GBA games need to be patched. The patching makes the game use SRAM saves. As for when it is nessisary to use the manual SRAM backup feature, normally never. As long as you always start the GBA games from inside rudolph's tool, eveything should be fine. The feature is there just in case. (I'm not sure, but perhaps it can also be used to rip SRAM saves from a real GBA cart?)

I will warn that there is or at least there once was a bug involving NOR mode. Apparently the bug caused problems with save files if the game in NOR was ever started by booting directly into GBA mode, rather than booting through Rudolph's tool. Apparently the NOR game would save into the section of SRAM that PSRAM games use, or something like that. The solution was to always start a game via Rudolph's tool. I'm not sure if that bug/misfeature still exists, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rudolph is a tool that you'll have to be dependent on to load the properly patched roms onto the 3 in 1 if you're using the R4.
rofl2.gif
Thankfully, Rudolph probably doesn't know english well enough to catch what that means. No one wants to be dependent on some some tool of a person. I say call it by it's proper name, the 3in1_ExpPack_Tool, before you conjure images of an asian fellow playing with his tool...
rofl2.gif

Anthraxx: in short, the 3in1 has a nice large 512KiB SRAM chip in there, the GBA can only view a 64KiB window in the backup area, though not all games use SRAM to save with. So, basically, any game that uses more than 64KiB SRAM or uses a different type save chip would need to be patched up to work - which is why the 3in1_ExpPack_Tool by Rudolph likely mentions SRAM directly.

And don't forget to give GBALdr (link) a whirl, ignore the PSRAM version but do give it a go. Whichever one suits you better and you find it simpler to get along with is the best one to use
wink.gif

Aarohead

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't had any major problems with NDStation 1.1 and I highly recommend it. 1.3 is probably going to be the one to convert many Rudolphers. Should fix the problems with R4 1.14 and up, fix the slow decompression time, batch, and let US choose what splash screen we want lol

ndstationcm2.png

chuckstudios

Putting the pro in procrastination
Trophies
Website
www.schlarp.com
XP
Country
United States
I haven't had any major problems with NDStation 1.1 and I highly recommend it. 1.3 is probably going to be the one to convert many Rudolphers. Should fix the problems with R4 1.14 and up, fix the slow decompression time, batch, and let US choose what splash screen we want lol

ndstationcm2.png

Unfortunately that version is pretty far off. I'm currently in the middle of FIRST season and have practically no free time.
frown.gif
Also, my laptop is still kinda broken... fixing it will probably have to wait until the season's over.

IxthusTiger

Cruddy's Buddy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the fastest way to play gba roms on the ds, what program writes the fastest, is the ewin cart better than ez3in1, or what slot-2 is best for gba?

Eyedunno

Trophies
XP
Country
When you finally fix it, it would be nice if you could also add support for other devices, like the Ewin and maybe even the M3 Real expansion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    why we saying hello again for?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Mondooooo, cuz you both werent here
    +1
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    oh btw, did you know that the teenage mutant ninja turtles is having an r rated live action movie?
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I did not know that
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but it would make sense
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    just look it up
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    from the perspective that the original audience that saw it as kids are now grown adults
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I heard the original comic books were as dark as that
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    it's called the last ronin
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    while that was a kid-friendly endeavor, this new take will adapt the story Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin. The outlet notes that this new iteration is being written by “Tyler Burton Smith, who co-wrote the upcoming R-rated action movie Boy Kills World and who wrote the 2019 iteration of Chucky horror franchise Child’s Play.”
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    The film, titled ‘The Last Ronin,’ will be targeted at adults and promises a high-body count tale
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I grew up with the 2012 show
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    so yeah, they're will be lots of kills
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    so kinda like how they went r rated in the Loan movie for wolverine
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    and remember that time when someone had the idea to make scooby doo r rated?
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    where shaggy is a stoner and a pothead?
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    that's a true story
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Mondooooo, the first scooby doo live action film?
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    it's cancelled and not in the works anymore
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they kinda implied it, and joked about it in the cartoon attorney harvey birdman
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    im gonna binge watch metalocalypse, any tips?
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty yeah in th elive action Shaggy meets a girl that introduces herself as "Mary jane" shaggy responds "thats my favorite name"
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    damn
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    the james gunn scooby doo is wild
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, it also had several deleted scenes
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, it also had several deleted scenes