Ezflash IV NOR flash usually boots to black screen

tursel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I have owned Ez-Flash IV (black microsd model) for many years, usually playing games so small I have just used PSRAM for playing. I still have the old kernel which requires software and save update to move games to ez-flash.

Now that my kickstart-backed Goodboy Galaxy has released, it needs the use of NOR to be played due to the size of the game.

I own both original gba AGB-001 (ips kit upgraded) and gba sp AGS-101. I could not get the game to write to NOR using AGB-001, the nor writing popup just freezes, had to use gba sp for it.

Now that it is written, I've mostly used original gba to play it.

The problem is that most times when starting, the game boots to black screen after gba logo. No sound or anything. Reboot, and the game still boots to black screen.

...but when I either try a few times more, or eg. write some other game to PSRAM and play 5-10 minutes, then try again, the NOR-flashed Goodboy Galaxy boots just fine. Even multiple times if I reboot the console. Until the problem comes back if the console is off for sometime again.

PSRAM games always boot without problems.

Right now the gba sp is not with me so I cannot test if it has the same problem, but I remember it being able to boot the game just fine.

Are there any good suggestions what is the problem, or what I could do? Problem with the contacts, with gba itself, EZ-flash IV NOR or has someone encountered the same problem with Goodboy galaxy rom?
Post automatically merged:

Hmm, this might be somekind of voltage problem, since the batteries are now almost dry and I haven't been able to boot the game anymore.

Oh well, hopefully it boots again after changing to fresh ones.

Last edited by tursel,

patters

Trophies
XP
Country
I vaguely remember having lots of issues with the NOR on the older firmwares, but it has been fine on the latest. Might be that?

Janni9009

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Indeed, the microSD variant needs the 2014-era firmware (1.75 iirc) or later for NOR to work properly since the NOR chip got changed. Sadly you'll lose NDS-mode with this, but at least you gain auto-patching on the 2.X firmwares.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto