Hacking Rudolph Stoppnig Support for M3 Real, iTouch, and Sakura

Hyperlisk_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to his latest blog post (June 28, 2008) thansk to M3's complaint, he will now make his software incompatible with the M3 Real, iTouch, and Sakura. Here is the essay saying that he will comply with any flash cart maker and stop producing for them too: http://www009.upp.so-net.ne.jp/rudolph/Exclusion_hard.html

Also, I wasn't sure where to post this, if it's in the wrong spot please move it.

EDIT: And edit the topic title please >.>

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how he is gonna not make it work though... It detects what kind of DLDI patch/firmware? If he's gonna stop support, there might be new features he's gonna put in to GBA EXPLoader and since a lot of people could just use an older version. Or maybe M3 will finally have support for the EZ 3 in 1 or not even see it as a threat...

AXYPB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a shame. I guess he doesn't want to take any chances with people misusing whatever else he comes up with in the future. But it doesn't make sense to me that he would stop support for the M3 Real family. No matter how I look at it, this just feels unfair.

Also, this should be in the M3 Adapter forum under Flashing Hardware and Software.

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What? M3 complained about his stuff?

That doesn't make too much sense, well I'm glad i don't have an M3
smile.gif

Unlucky for those who do though.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What software is he disabling specifically?

Don't the manufacturers of slot 2 GBA expansion carts like eWin and EZFlash already make software along the same lines as GBA ExpLoader? The Sakura DLDI hack I can see, but how can M3 make him stop supporting their cart with his homebrew (and why would they want to)? If M3 has their own competing GBA expansion pack, wouldn't they just want to help Rudolph to add support to GBA ExpLoader?

-Bri

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Yeah, that will probably be the case....But real complaint from M3 Real was about Sakura DLDI version, because that was infecting their sales too..
I guess that they messaged Rudolph with intention to stop further hacking of Sakura, but then end up with loosing support of Rudolphs homebrew....

I don't know.....They probably got what they wanted, but it's not the smartest move they could do, as most people that pirate games/use flashcarts, use the very same programs that Rudolph developed...

BTW, I really think that Rudolph is one awesome guy!!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a huge amount of respect Rudolph anyway (the amount of stuff he has released and what he has released not to mention the few times I have talked with him) but to stand up to to the makers of flash carts while probably not a physically risky thing to do or even a risky thing to do from a community standpoint point of view is still a noteworthy act.

Hacks to work around his lockouts. I would go with a DLDI lockout (probably with a bit more than a DLDI header check and maybe a does it work with this hardcoded DLDI check) as well and the workarounds might come but chances are it is a layer or artifice that people will have to work around (which all experience thus far says most people are really not inclined to do).

It does seem to stem from his hacking of Sakura and the subsequent legal stuff (my knowledge of Japanese copyright is not so good and what I do know says it will be about as fun as the US and Europe so I will leave further comment until such time as I know more).
We already had the debate on should it be done (which to me boiled down to it can/does happen (I have at least 20 examples from the mainstream GBA and DS scene alone) and there is little you can do, legal threats are not one of them though). I have a DLDI version squirreled away (actually not that easy to find compared to some other stuff) and will see how this plays out.

Devil May Cry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
I have a huge amount of respect Rudolph anyway (the amount of stuff he has released and what he has released not to mention the few times I have talked with him) but to stand up to to the makers of flash carts while probably not a physically risky thing to do or even a risky thing to do from a community standpoint point of view is still a noteworthy act.

Hacks to work around his lockouts. I would go with a DLDI lockout (probably with a bit more than a DLDI header check and maybe a does it work with this hardcoded DLDI check) as well and the workarounds might come but chances are it is a layer or artifice that people will have to work around (which all experience thus far says most people are really not inclined to do).

It does seem to stem from his hacking of Sakura and the subsequent legal stuff (my knowledge of Japanese copyright is not so good and what I do know says it will be about as fun as the US and Europe so I will leave further comment until such time as I know more).
We already had the debate on should it be done (which to me boiled down to it can/does happen (I have at least 20 examples from the mainstream GBA and DS scene alone) and there is little you can do, legal threats are not one of them though). I have a DLDI version squirreled away (actually not that easy to find compared to some other stuff) and will see how this plays out.
ZOMG TORRENT PLS!!1...Just kidding. This really is a burn for the M3 users. I respect his decisions and it was probably a wise move, who knows what devious things M3 could do. Of course, that'd only hurt their sales...

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
not much of a loss, as I see no pint in getting a non-M3 slot-2 expansion for the Real. After all, the native support and enhanced mode is one of the few reasons to actually get that card. Do not get me wrong, he would be a loss for any other card.

MrBubbles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love the destructive irony.

A company that makes flashcarts fully intended and marketed as "PLAY DS GAMES" is threatening someone's spare project with legal action. I know they can't be held responsible if people misuse their products for piracy, but it's marketed as such a tool (Firmware updates released to improve ROM compatibility). Just my two cents.

AXYPB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[*]Rudolph has for a long time been making high-quality homebrew that works for many devices.[*]M3 Sakura, a replacement shell for the M3 Real family was released, and apparently Rudolph liked it so much that he decided to share the wealth with everyone who couldn't normally use it.[*]M3Flash had issue with it and Rudolph withdrew the means to use it on non-M3 Real devices at their behest.[*]All of the M3 Real/iTouchDS users and only the M3 Real/iTouchDS users get the shaft, despite being the only people not affected by Rudolph's work to release M3 Sakura with DLDI and M3Flash's cease-and-desist. Even after all this, the universal DLDI-compatible Sakura continues to float around the internet.Am I the only one who sees it this way?

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another case of greed and stupidity (M3 Team) leading to the client suffering. Never thought it would hit the homebrew scene.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: is gta v or call of duty still up?