Romshepherd is gone, other sites followed.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They don't (though as was mentioned there can be multi company concerns), however if the police knock at my door to say "we know you have been dealing cocaine" you don't typically just stop dealing cocaine and go exclusively heroin.

I imagine any ROM site out there these days has at least a half arsed effort towards keeping its owners/operators out of legal crosshairs. If they manage to penetrate that and get a nice letter from a law firm to land on said owner/operator doormat it tends to be cause to reconsider your position.

Anyway everybody sing along
99 ROM sites on the web, 99 ROM sites. Take one down and share news around, 95 ROM sites on the web. 95 ROM sites on the web, 95 ROM sites. Take one down and share news around, 999 ROM sites on the web.

But why now? Why not earlier? Sure, if they were planning something good for eShop to allow more than NES I'd be supportive, but I'm not. Nintendo can take its litigation and stuff it.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But why now? Why not earlier? Sure, if they were planning something good for eShop to allow more than NES I'd be supportive, but I'm not. Nintendo can take its litigation and stuff it.
And how the heck do you know that they are not working on something in secret?? All through this thread you come across like an entitled spoilt little brat.

Last edited by AmandaRose,
Reactions: B.B.Link

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they started the crackdown with the advent of Switch piracy.

Because the Wii, DS, GBA, 3DS haven't been pirated nor has said piracy killed off those consoles, so, yeah.

Fine, I get why, but don't act like their refusal to allow people to legally purchase more of their older games is any less of a dick move.
If they actually allowed more of their catalogs to be accessible online, people wouldn't pirate as much. They keep being stupid with their older
games, I sure as hell don't see me not pirating said older games anytime soon.

The way they've been handling their old games has been anything but innovative or convenient. How anyone can defend them is beyond me.
Great games like Smash, shitty services like Switch Online.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Because the Wii, DS, GBA, 3DS haven't been pirated nor has said piracy killed off those consoles, so, yeah.

Fine, I get why, but don't act like their refusal to allow people to legally purchase more of their older games is any less of a dick move.
If they actually allowed more of their catalogs to be accessible online, people wouldn't pirate as much. They keep being stupid with their older
games, I sure as hell don't see me not pirating said older games anytime soon.

The way they've been handling their old games has been anything but innovative or convenient. How anyone can defend them is beyond me.
Great games like Smash, shitty services like Switch Online.
Licenses is the problem, they can't just put any game they went on the eShops. Konami, Capcom etc. must give their permission for Nintendo to resell their games. It's not black and white... jesus stop whining on a big none issue.

Reactions: AmandaRose

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Licenses is the problem, they can't just put any game they went on the eShops. Konami, Capcom etc. must give their permission for Nintendo to resell their games. It's not black and white... jesus stop whining on a big none issue.

And what of the games that don't have licensing issues? There's no excuse for those to not be on the eShop.
Fine, I will, but I will say that Nintendo can suck it long and hard for their bullshit methods. Just wished people would stop sucking up to Nintendo.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What about games like Super Mario All-Stars?
Nintendo is purposefully withholding that ROM from subsequent releases on Virtual Console/eShop due to the simple fact to make more money from individual games/releases.

That is one ROM which we will never see being re-released in digital format, and which suffers from this kind of obnoxious behaviour from Nintendo.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about games like Super Mario All-Stars?
Nintendo is purposefully withholding that ROM from subsequent releases on Virtual Console/eShop due to the simple fact to make more money from individual games/releases.

That is one ROM which we will never see being re-released in digital format, and which suffers from this kind of obnoxious behaviour from Nintendo.

There's no licensing bullshit with first party IP and that's a fact.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even when Nintendo deems to allow you to buy an old game for too much money, they purposefully fuck them up (because something like 10 kids in Japan had seizures at a fucking pokeyman CARTOON, not a game) so there's still good reason to want repositories of ROMs available out there...

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even when Nintendo deems to allow you to buy an old game for too much money, they purposefully fuck them up (because something like 10 kids in Japan had seizures at a fucking pokeyman CARTOON, not a game) so there's still good reason to want repositories of ROMs available out there...
If you are talking about the darkening of VC games it has nothing to do with 10 kids in Japan having seizures. It's because of a European law regarding epilepsy. So how are they purposely fucking up by simply following European law???

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

And as a result, butcher the emulation using stupid dark filters and an even blurrier picture. Wow, top notch programming!

Reactions: Subtle Demise

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again they are simply complying to European epilepsy law.

And yet the Snes Classic and NES Classic don't use said filters and have brighter/clearer emulation, so, inconsistencies are great. N64 games look like utter trash on Wii U.

Thanks EU, for making other countries apply to laws that are arbitrary. There are better ways to reduce epilepsy, and dark filters aren't one of them.

BiggieCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bet Nintendo’s doing all this as part of an effort to try and restore their relationships with third party developers and publishers since they were burning down quite a few bridges between the N64 to Wii U eras. Well, that and they obviously also want to profit more off of any port/remakes/retro rereleases they might make.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@the_randomizer i agree they don't have juristiction over other roms/isos it's just that the webmasters of said warez sites are just lazy fucks and don't remove the nintendo section we lost alot of good abandonware this way pisses me off, well there are places like my abandon ware which only deals in computer games that are either free or the company absolutely died and don't care bout those IPs hell i even found a 3GB romset of PC98 games

Last edited by chrisrlink,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo