Hacking Rominator Database Update info

Supersonicmonk

Trophies
XP
Country
I replaced the ds.rod file, now it says it's updated to 4565 and the DS Game Catalog but the new games still aren't recognized, do I have to re add them to the gamelist

EDIT: Ok I got it to recognize new games except for Phantasy Star Zero

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Supersonicmonk said:
I replaced the ds.rod file, now it says it's updated to 4565 and the DS Game Catalog but the new games still aren't recognized, do I have to re add them to the gamelist

EDIT: Ok I got it to recognize new games except for Phantasy Star Zero

Just curious: Do you have the Bahamut release of the game (crc32: E5C6E212) or the XPA release? The database uses the Bahamut one (as does the No-Intro database and AdvanScene's stuff).

Speaking of No-Intro's database, I should probably keep a better eye on their site: If I'm ahead of AdvanScene when I'm editing, I use the crc32 of the ROM I currently have for making the database. The problem with that is sometimes the site I get them from puts up a patched version and says it's the unpatched version, then puts the same version in their "patched" section. I think Phantasy Star Zero and Battle of Giants Dragons fell into that category originally for me but I was far enough behind that AdvanScene's DAT straightened me out. If I'm going to try to stay ahead of them, I need some sort of sanity check.
laugh.gif

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
docjynx said:
I am so happy someone is still updating the database. Thanks so much for yours and everybody elses work.

You're welcome. I can have an update ready in another couple of days, probably: I hate for the database to get too far behind. I haven't heard from hankchill lately so I don't know when the server will be ready.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
THANKS!!!!, finally time to rename my roms... i guess ill bookmark this page for a while. Thanks for everyones hardwork!

Thanks windsur for updating the database!

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The latest update is now up Rominator 4603 update. This one runs up to rom 4603 (and then into the night screaming
laugh.gif
).

Many thanks to Advanscene on getting ahead of me: It made this update soo much easier.
laugh.gif

Need for Speed Nitro and MX vs ATV Reflex are marked as wi-fi games in this database, which differs from the scene descriptions: The boxart says wifi-enabled so I went with that (I didn't personally test the affected roms). If I find they don't work with wi-fi, I'll fix it in the next release. The next release will also have the metacritic links in it: I managed to miss it on this (and the previous) update.

Happy Holidays.
smile.gif

elbaC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Windsur, thanks for the update!

I have a few roms I have a problem with:
Rom numbers 4402 till 4406 are identified as their older versions.
Rom number 4565 Kalle_Kunskap_4_7_aar_EUR cannot be renamed

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
elbaC said:
Windsur, thanks for the update!

I have a few roms I have a problem with:
Rom numbers 4402 till 4406 are identified as their older versions.
Rom number 4565 Kalle_Kunskap_4_7_aar_EUR cannot be renamed

Thanks for the feedback: I'm actually working on the problem right now. The problem with 4402 - 4406 was something I missed originally and also affected 4559 and 4560. Basically, I didn't change the rom revision number because I didn't know any better at the time.
laugh.gif
I'm still new at this. I'm testing a new file and will post it later today.

From what I can tell, Rominator is having a problem with 4533 Alvin and the Chipmunks - The Squeakquel and 4565 Kalle Kunsap but I don't know where the error is. As far as I can tell, the database looks OK for those two files but I still need to check it out more throughly.

I can add 4601 and 4602 to the file while I'm at it. Metacritic will have to wait: It's Christmas after all.
smile.gif

I'll pull the other two updates for right now.

EDIT: OK, there's a new file here that goes up to 4603. Rom revision issue for 4402-4406, 4559, 4560 fixed. Renaming feature also OK now. Thanks, elbaC.
smile.gif

elbaC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can confirm that rom numbers 4402-4406, 4559 and 4560 are now correctly identified.
Rom number 4565 can now be renamed.

Thanks Windsur.

jaybird

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great work!

I guess I'll report a couple of region/naming glitches I've ran into.

- 4491 is showing up as Japan, but should be USA
- 4234, 4253, 4475 and 4589 are showing up USA, but should be Netherlands
- 4180, 4182, 4196, 4228 and 4230 are showing up USA, but should be Europe
- Won't import and rename 4429 or 4502

Thanks again windsur!

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jaybird said:
Great work!

- Won't import and rename 4429 or 4502

Thanks again windsur!

I'll look into in tonight and I'll fix it before next release: When I did the first edit on the database it was a rush job so I need to go back and fix a few things apparently. The official online database stopped at 4179 and the first file I made had taken it up to something like 4500. I'm hoping to have all the bugs squashed by New Years or by the time Hankchill releases Rominator 2010 (whichever deadline I can beat
laugh.gif
). Luckily, the scene is slow so I have time to double-check my work.

Can you tell me if the crc32 you have for 4429 is E5C6E212 and the crc32 for 4502 is 3C6AC332? You can find the info from Winzip (open the zip file and crc32 should be there) or using NDSHeaderTool. I know originally for me, I had downloaded a bad copy of 4502 (site said it was a clean dump but it was the hacked version instead so I had to search for it and re-download).

I do thank everyone for their feedback on the bugs they've been finding and reporting.

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jaybird said:
Great work!

Thanks again windsur!

OK, what I found was 4491 a blatant goof. 4234, 4253, 4475, 4589 are marked as Holland in the database, which falls into another category: The same ones 4180, 4182, 4196, 4228, and 4230 are in, which is that Rominator doesn't support the country (Denmark and Norway in the latter cases). I'll go ahead and change 4234, 4253, 4475, and 4589 to Netherlands and quickfix the others to Europe for now, but they'll (hopefully) need to change back when Rominator 2010 comes out.

There are issues with a couple files too as far as languages go: Rominator doesn't support the language (or I don't have the proper language code) so they're blank.

(I know: Holland is technically a part of the Netherlands, but the actual games themselves say Holland in the header
rolleyes.gif
)

jaybird

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
windsur said:
Can you tell me if the crc32 you have for 4429 is E5C6E212 and the crc32 for 4502 is 3C6AC332? You can find the info from Winzip (open the zip file and crc32 should be there) or using NDSHeaderTool. I know originally for me, I had downloaded a bad copy of 4502 (site said it was a clean dump but it was the hacked version instead so I had to search for it and re-download).

The crc32 matches for 4429, but I've got a different one for 4502:

4429 - E5C6E212
4502 - 654A19BC

I also went in tonight to correct the box art for the newer ROMs and when comparing with ADVANsCEne, found these had somehow "lost" their box art:

2043 (Fifa Street 3) should be 2044
2503 (Mummy - Tomb of the Dragon) should be 2055
2676 (The Price is Right) should be 2678
2832 (Tornado) should be 2833
3031 (Garfield's Fun Fest) should be 3035
3032 (Margot's Word Brain) should be 3036

Not sure why those are different, but just thought I'd let ya know!

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jaybird said:
windsur said:

The crc32 matches for 4429, but I've got a different one for 4502:

4429 - E5C6E212
4502 - 654A19BC

I also went in tonight to correct the box art for the newer ROMs and when comparing with ADVANsCEne, found these had somehow "lost" their box art:

2043 (Fifa Street 3) should be 2044
2503 (Mummy - Tomb of the Dragon) should be 2055
2676 (The Price is Right) should be 2678
2832 (Tornado) should be 2833
3031 (Garfield's Fun Fest) should be 3035
3032 (Margot's Word Brain) should be 3036

Not sure why those are different, but just thought I'd let ya know!

Thanks for letting me know about the numbering. Yes, Rominator doesn't follow the ADVANsCEne numbering: It follows the DS-Scene numbering. Hankchill and I had a discussion and we thought the DS-Scene numbering would be better. Originally, I believe it followed the GBAtemp numbering, but GBAtemp changed their numbering with the release the DSi-hybrid games and DS-Scene was the next closest thing. I've seen inside the ADVANsCEne and it's a scary thing.
laugh.gif

I know the boxarts and icons on the server are all wonky (for lack of a better term). Unfortunately, I don't have access to fix/update them there. I had emailed hankchill earlier today to ask if there's a way I could do it like how I'm editing the gamelist but I have to wait to hear back. As far as icons, I know they're stored in a file called IconCache.rod (which I can't edit right now) but I don't know if the boxarts are stored locally or just on the server.

I'm going to message you so we can get the 4429/4502 thing sorted out hopefully.

xgeek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just found this post after doing a google search looking for an updated db and after doing a few tests I have a question.

1) If I use the last official db (upto 4179) I have 4173 valid (clean) roms out of 4179.
2) If I use this updated db and check my roms again I only have 4099 valid roms out of 4179.

My question is why does this database mark up an extra 74 roms as invalid whereas the old db only marks up 6 as invalid (for roms 0001 - 4179). Has the CRCs been changed by mistake for some of the roms below 4179? I don't really want to validate my new roms above 4179 until I can confirm the integrity of the db.

As an example the below 5 roms now get flagged as having an invalid CRC32 with the updated db:

662 Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses
663 Digimon World DS
1269 Transformers - Autobots
1270 Transformers - Decepticons
1381 Wild West, The

Many thanks in avance.

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xgeek said:
Just found this post after doing a google search looking for an updated db and after doing a few tests I have a question.

1) If I use the last official db (upto 4179) I have 4173 valid (clean) roms out of 4179.
2) If I use this updated db and check my roms again I only have 4099 valid roms out of 4179.

My question is why does this database mark up an extra 74 roms as invalid whereas the old db only marks up 6 as invalid (for roms 0001 - 4179). Has the CRCs been changed by mistake for some of the roms below 4179? I don't really want to validate my new roms above 4179 until I can confirm the integrity of the db.

As an example the below 5 roms now get flagged as having an invalid CRC32 with the updated db:

662 Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses
663 Digimon World DS
1269 Transformers - Autobots
1270 Transformers - Decepticons
1381 Wild West, The

Many thanks in advance.

Actually, you caught me.
laugh.gif
In reality, it's not the CRCs that changed but something else: In the examples above 662 and 663 swapped places, 1269 and 1270 swapped places, and 1381 and 1382 swapped places. The problem was I had no reference point to start off with as far as keeping the numbering going (ie: Last database admin won't answer my emails and the message I got from hankchill was basically 'Go with whatever works'.) Originally the database was derived from GBAtemp numbering which changed with the release of the DSi-enhanced games, so I went with the DS-Scene numbering which includes the DSi-enhanced games. In the transition, a few of the older games were shuffled around. 4180 and above are already in the new numbering sequence.

I could've gone with the AdvanScene numbering or No-Intro numbering, but there was a slight problem: a) I'd like to keep ahead of them, and b) as far as no-intro goes, there'd have been more renumbering that would've been worth it. At last check, the Rominator numbering system is not too far off the Advanscene numbering but they don't match up perfectly (less than a dozen with different numbers).

If you can't get Rominator to recognize the roms, you might want to try creating a new rom list and adding your files to it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's always worth a shot