Hacking Rominator Database Update info

elbaC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I know there are alternatives to Rominator but I haven't seen one which has the DS-Scene ROM numbering.
I would like to keep this numbering.

Renever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah also waiting on the new work of mr hankchill
smile.gif

NemesisHunter

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I hope you guys all know Mr. Hanchill has retired from his Rominator database project, due to ongoing life activities and urgent personal matters.

He has contributed much to the GBATemp community, but alas, life goes on.

If there is another programmer out there, maybe he could obtain the source code from Hankchill himself (through e-mail or message contact), and update it along with the rest of us? That way it will turn into a more involved community-driven project, started by Hankchill, and maintained by the GBATemp community?

Source : http://www.rominator.net/

Rascal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
NemesisHunter said:
I hope you guys all know Mr. Hanchill has retired from his Rominator database project, due to ongoing life activities and urgent personal matters.

He has contributed much to the GBATemp community, but alas, life goes on.

If there is another programmer out there, maybe he could obtain the source code from Hankchill himself (through e-mail or message contact), and update it along with the rest of us? That way it will turn into a more involved community-driven project, started by Hankchill, and maintained by the GBATemp community?

Source : http://www.rominator.net/
So has Hank told you this himself? I know that personal matters did cause Hank to stop for a quite a while, but his reply to me in this thread just over a month ago says he hasn't been idle.

hankchill said:
QUOTE(Rascal @ Oct 4 2009, 05:06 PM) It's a shame for us Mac users as there isn't anything else decent for Mac OS X and I don't want to have to manage my ROMS/Cards in a Windows Emulator.

Don't you worry -- I haven't given up on Rominator yet. I really want to show you what I have up my sleeve but I can't yet until I can have a stable beta ready :/

Let's just say you'll be pleasantly surprised
biggrin.gif

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
4179 4477
That's almost 300 roms behind.

First post still says 4162, is it still being worked on?

I'm actually working on trying to get it updated to 4501 (newest ROM right now), but it's slow going for me. It wouldn't be an official update, but it'd be something.
laugh.gif
There's a freeware SQLite Database browser that works with actually editing the databases that I've found, so I thought I'd pass some time.
smile.gif

LordMelkor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
windsur said:
Nollog said:
4179 4477

I'm actually working on trying to get it updated to 4501 (newest ROM right now), but it's slow going for me. It wouldn't be an official update, but it'd be something.
laugh.gif
There's a freeware SQLite Database browser that works with actually editing the databases that I've found, so I thought I'd pass some time.
smile.gif

nice! i tried my hand at it but found it too tiring to add all the info for each rom. Good luck with that!

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys,

I think my database administrator quit out on me... Looks like I'll need to hire someone else for the job.

Basically, I need someone with free time, preferably not married and no kids, and over the age of 16. If you're willing to help with the updates, send me a PM.

revsmitty

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LordMelkor said:
windsur said:
Nollog said:
4179 4477

laugh.gif
smile.gif

nice! i tried my hand at it but found it too tiring to add all the info for each rom. Good luck with that!

Where exactly is this information stored at? I'm currently not at my PC this is installed on, but I like to take a stab at updating this when I get back to my home pc.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
revsmitty said:
LordMelkor said:
windsur said:
Nollog said:
4179 4477

laugh.gif
smile.gif

Where exactly is this information stored at? I'm currently not at my PC this is installed on, but I like to take a stab at updating this when I get back to my home pc.
It's inside a .rod file, and it's an SQL lite database.

revsmitty

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
revsmitty said:
LordMelkor said:
windsur said:
Nollog said:
4179 4477

laugh.gif
smile.gif

It's inside a .rod file, and it's an SQL lite database.
Thanks!

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LordMelkor said:
windsur said:
Nollog said:
4179 4477

laugh.gif
smile.gif

Hehe, I did manage to manually update it to 4535 except for the languages: The languages are stored as numbers (with over 450000 possible combinations used by Rominator) and there's no bloody way to guess all the languages without hankchill's help. I can guess for rom 4180 that the Danish language is around language 5000 but plugging out which one is insane.
laugh.gif

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
revsmitty said:
LordMelkor said:
windsur said:
Nollog said:
4179 4477

laugh.gif
smile.gif

It's in a file called ds.rod in your Windows Profile\Application Data\Rominator Data folder to be more precise. For example: Mine is in \Documents and Settings\Windsur\Application Data\Rominator Data\. If you seriously want to try to edit it, you'll need SQLite Database Browser, NDSTokyoTrim, and a program like NDSHeader available to get the some of the data you'll need.

You see, that's why I hadn't posted in so long since my previous post.
biggrin.gif

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
windsur said:
Hehe, I did manage to manually update it to 4535 except for the languages: The languages are stored as numbers (with over 450000 possible combinations used by Rominator) and there's no bloody way to guess all the languages without hankchill's help. I can guess for rom 4180 that the Danish language is around language 5000 but plugging out which one is insane.
laugh.gif
Does it work for renaming, and does it follow the same database?
That's all I care about.

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
windsur said:
laugh.gif
Does it work for renaming, and does it follow the same database?
That's all I care about.

The renaming does work and it follows the same database (DS-Scene's order). I've sent the file to hankchill to say it's ready up to 4535. It causes a "general error" on some of the games because the server needs an update but there's nothing fatal. I let hankchill know the issue so he can work on it.

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just sent a newer database to hankchill (up to 4565) and asked if it was ok to release it. I'm still not sure of the proper release procedures.
smile.gif

I know the procedure is to use an automated program to upload to server, but the automated method was busted last I heard.

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those who are feeling adventurous, I've uploaded the Unofficial Rominator update to http://filetrip.net/f9101-Rominator--ds-rod-4565.html for now. This may change after the official update utility is repaired (ETA unknown).

Thanks to: Mr. Seiko for maintaining the original database and hankchill for the Rominator program.

NOTE: Using the file, you may get a "General error" message when the program tries to get the boxarts for some newer games. This is because the games aren't in the database stored on the official server. If you go to the game a second time, it will show the "boxart not available" screenshot. Also, some flags/icons may be wrong/not work.

I have tried to checked my work against the ROMs as best I could, but I'm only human. Please let me know any errors and thanks all for your patience.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: though if it s important to go online for a game I would much rather buy it