Trolly

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Earlier this year, Nintendo announced that it and 54 software game companies were filing a lawsuit with the Tokyo District Court against companies that import "R4 Revolution"-type devices, using the Unfair Competition Prevention Law as the legal grounding.

According to Nintendo, such devices hurts the growth of the entire game industry and steps must be taken regarding the legality of R4 carts. It's important to note that this legal injunction is for Japan only.

Nintendo is asking for the cease of marketing, sales and importation of these Chinese-made devices. The R4 allows easy software piracy by fitting right into the DS's cartridge slot. Data is stored on a Micro SD and downloaded from websites via a flash drive, and the R4 has a small slot that the Micro SD card goes into.

In addition to the suit, Nintendo is turning the heat up on retailers who sell the devices by launching website devoted to collecting information about R4 sellers. "It's getting increasingly difficult to track down R4 sellers as day by day they get more ingenious, flourishing online and complicating matters," said Nintendo in a written statement. Because of this, Nintendo is calling on the strength of the masses to eradicate the sale of these devices.

The website Nintendo has set up has an anonymous form that can be filled out. Selectable choices include retail stores, internet shops, online auctions selling R4 devices. Another choice includes "game software uploads" — or those sites or individuals making DS games available online. There's also spaces for dates and time, a box for details and another box for the shop's address or home page.

As recently as last week, countless retailers in Tokyo's Akihabara and Osaka's Den Den Town were openly carrying and selling R4 devices.

Source: Kotaku

The ROM site I've been using for the past 3 years went down today :'(. Seems quite a few more have as well, damnitt! Guess there'll always be torrent sites at least.

deethebee

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
dood that sucks
sleep.gif
the ones i use are still up though (ftw) nintendo's nuts and need to lay off you spent around 100$(usa) for a ds you should be able to do whatever you want with it or at least thats how i feel lol

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
deethebee said:
dood that sucks
sleep.gif
the ones i use are still up though (ftw) nintendo's nuts and need to lay off you spent around 100$(usa) for a ds you should be able to do whatever you want with it or at least thats how i feel lol
So because I spent loads of money on a car I should be able to steal the fuel?

Your reasoning is retarded.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I usually just torrent the games anyways, considering the speed is, normally, much faster than dicking around with direct downloads.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Richy Freeway said:
deethebee said:
dood that sucks
sleep.gif

lol +1...Nintendo has every right to shut down these places selling games...i download games illegally for the sole reason that i can, if Nintendo were to gain a major victory over the piracy scene i would go back to buying games but why pay for what you can get free...

palasx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Richy Freeway said:
deethebee said:
dood that sucks
sleep.gif

oh i get it, cars run on fuel, and the NDS runs on games. thats clever...no...wait...that other thing...completely wrong. NDS runs on electricity, not games. games are just the fun part. so by Richy's logic and your shitty analogy, if i spent loads of money on a car i should be able to steal the passengers! (who will be using the majority of my fuel)

ROADTRIP!

as for the hardcore pirates, big N cant stop them. as far as i know, only the DCMA in america has the power to make arbitrary code illigal, and NDS emulators can still run pretty much anything. i propose that the same people who would/do buy "R4 like devices" to play games for free would also play the game on emulator in order to avoid paying for it. i damn sure never spent a dime on a gba or any carts, thats for sure.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
palasx said:
Richy Freeway said:
deethebee said:
dood that sucks
sleep.gif

oh i get it, cars run on fuel, and the NDS runs on games. thats clever...no...wait...that other thing...completely wrong. NDS runs on electricity, not games. games are just the fun part. so by Richy's logic and your shitty analogy, if i spent loads of money on a car i should be able to steal the passengers! (who will be using the majority of my fuel)

ROADTRIP!

as for the hardcore pirates, big N cant stop them. as far as i know, only the DCMA in america has the power to make arbitrary code illigal, and NDS emulators can still run pretty much anything. i propose that the same people who would/do buy "R4 like devices" to play games for free would also play the game on emulator in order to avoid paying for it. i damn sure never spent a dime on a gba or any carts, thats for sure.
lol thats not what they meant...a car is useless without fuel and a DS is useless without games...

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Richy Freeway said:
deethebee said:
dood that sucks
sleep.gif

Going on the entire "OH GOD I WANT OPEN SOURCE" kind of story, just like the Wii, there are also people using these devices to actually run homebrew. I know and understand WHY Nintendo is shutting and hunting down these kinds of things, but in the end, we are the one that own a Wii or DS, so we SHOULD be able to use it as we please.
However most people just use the homebrew devices for rom loading, as for manufacturers advertising that is can load commercial roms.

chrisman01

Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
Most people that own flash carts pirate games, so in a way this is a good thing.

Then there are those like me that don't have the tools to backup games on their own, so we hunt down a ROM site... so I guess this is a bad thing for the few people like me
tongue.gif

ah well. They can't kill the homebrew
yaynds.gif

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Satangel said:
From my 10 romssites I have bookmarked, 2 of them are lost.
Ah well, they didn't close the biggest and fastest ones, so no sweat
tongue.gif

same thing here,

there is always torrents in the end
unsure.gif

i think ninty is serious this time round though.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shakraka said:
If you get reported, Nintendo will come to your house at night and rape your women, steal your livestock, and burn your house down.

Burnin' your women, rapin' your churches...

The ROM site I've used since I got my R4 is still up and running, although for the first time they were forced to take down a ROM, which was MySims Agents. It was still a shitty game, though, so no big loss.

Taijo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
palasx said:
Richy Freeway said:
deethebee said:
dood that sucks
sleep.gif

The only thing wrong with his analogy is not covering up for donkeys like you. He meant that a car is useless without fuel like the DS is useless without games.

And you know this... yet you had to be a smartass. You sir, suck at arguing for not letting an opportunity to "score" pass by even though you understood what he meant and even though it was irrelevant to the discussion.

Anyway, commenting on your "shitty analogy"... no, its not right to steal the passengers just because you bought the car (woah, and you just criticized HIS analogy?). Mainly because they are human beings, and suffer, unlike games. (see what I did there? I can be a smartass too.)

The bottom line is pirating games is wrong, no matter how much the companies deserve to not get your money. But it isnt going to change anytime soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!