Rockstar releases its very own games launcher for Windows

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Sep 17, 2019.

1. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    After reading and hearing how toxic the Houser brothers are, and how famously litigious the CEO is even to former employees, let alone anyone that dares to say they aren't god's gift to gaming, I can't begin to fully express how much I do not want anything new from Rockstar on my PC or consoles.

Memoir and bobmcjr like this.
  2. sks316

sks316 Professional Shitposter (also I help sometimes)

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Windows XP background
    So... you complain about the emails and say they have no use to you, and I tell you how to disable them, then you complain that the emails are useful? Which one is it..?

3. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2018
    Togo
    Yay more crap launchers that slows down your pc.

4. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    I got it for PS2 so no thank you.

slaphappygamer likes this.
  5. nolimits59

nolimits59 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 25, 2008
    France
    The Steam DRM is optional for devs, exept if you call "having to download the game via steam" a DRM.

Exemple, rollercoaster tycoon 3 is DRM free on steam. You don't need steam when the download is complete.

6. codezer0

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Who/what are you talking about? I've literally never even seen you before on this site. :wtf:

7. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I knew this was coming. Every major developer has to have their own freaking launcher now.

8. vincentx77

vincentx77 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 7, 2009
    United States
    I'm sorry but this isn't really news. Tons of people have been using R*'s own downloader since GTA V came out. They've been selling other games direct to consumer on their website as well. This just puts everything in one place. I'm not sure I want my steam games on their launcher, but to each their own.

Memoir likes this.
  9. huntertron1

huntertron1 a simple youtuber that is trying to survive

Oct 28, 2017
    United States
    me: let me count my launchers...
    steam, Uplay, epic games store (that i never use), and origin... 1,2,3,4... hmmmm... let me think
    me thinking: (please no more launchers... its stupid. all we need is one! curse you companies and your greed!!!)
    me: why must there be MORE!?!?

10. sonicrings

sonicrings GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    Why is it called the Rockstart Games Launcher? I don't get the point of the pun.

11. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    No wonder people pirate games

slaphappygamer and Xzi like this.
  12. sks316

sks316 Professional Shitposter (also I help sometimes)

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Windows XP background
    I was replying to someone else...
    Are you sure about that? I was fairly certain that a good amount of people here knew my username by now... :unsure:

13. codezer0

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Sorry about that, I just realized that when I went back to your other post. For some reason, it looked like it was replying to me. :wacko:

14. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Okay,I it's official. I fucking hate game devs now. This is ridiculous and redundant.

Xzi likes this.
  15. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    They might as well drop the pretense and just have an individual launcher for each game. They've already regressed PC gaming to the state it was in during the early 2000s.

Jayro and Memoir like this.
  16. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    lol a launcher. its called the icon is on the desktop.... And i just double click on it and the game loads... or, is it that the noobs dont know how to place icons on the desktop?

Last edited by Captain_N, Sep 18, 2019
    Ryccardo likes this.
  17. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Wow, more crappy DRM, just what I wanted. People in favor of this system of playing games are just enablers.

18. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    I don't know what's worse.. You misunderstanding why this isn't good.. Or the fact that you clutter your desktop...

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Don't give them ideas. Please...

19. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    I mean, I already have Social Club, so for free San Andreas, why n~

Oh...

20. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Mad Dog of Rambling and Insanity

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    You know what else was fragmented?

The video game market before the Video Game Crash of 1983!

IDK what's worse: the idea of individual games having launchers when you boot them up within the launcher for full-on launcher-ception!

Based and redpilled AF!

All-in-all, I bought GTA5 back in the day on PC and never finished the damn thing. Unless you mod the game, or love, love, love, grinding or buying microtransactions, it just takes too long to get to the fun part of the game, and really, all of the things it tries to pack into one game really is a case of jack-of-many-trades, master of none. I think if it wasn't for the fact that every other godforsaken AAA game was open world now regardless if it works best for the material or not I would've been more impressed, but...I guess you can be a psycho and release your rage onto innocent people in the game? It's better than it happening in real life for sure, but when it comes to things I want to do in a video game, most of Rockstar's catalog just doesn't appeal to yours truly. Great, I get to be a bully just like some of the people I had to deal with at school? Or be some guy stuck in Not-SAW forced to...I think you get my point. About the only exception is the "impressive" facial technology in L.A. Noire that didn't make up for an open world with nothing to do from what I heard about the game.

That being said, I am NOT saying that these games should be banned because of "my feel-feels!" or any Anita Sarkeesian/Jack Thompson-esque BS like that. It's just that, when it comes to the stuff that Rockstar is generally known for (I know they make more than those three franchises, like there's that The Warriors game that just doesn't hold a candle to Yakuza), none of it really appeals to me and what I want to do in a video game, you know?

Last edited by Silent_Gunner, Sep 18, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted