Hacking Rock Band 2 DLC eating system memory.....

imapterodactyl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I've recently been sucked into the Rock Band phenomenon afterplaying Beatles Rock Band. I've recently been playing Rock Band 2 as well, but the DLC is very problematic. Whenever I download new DLC, the game claims that it moves the data to the SD card, but it doesn't. Instead, it gets copied to the SD, but stays in system memory as well. This also applies whenever PLAYING dlc, and after playing a few songs, my system memory is completely filled (I have over 800 blocks free otherwise). This is a known problem when playing via backup loaders, as the IOS (both 249 and 222/223 [required for mic/drums]) doesn't handle the SD read/write properly in the game. I've read in about 1,000 different places that the way to solve this is to play via the disc channel using CIOSCorp. Against my better judgment, I've installed CIOSCorp v3.4, and the problem still remains when the game is played via disc channel. Is this a known issue with the version of IOS37 (the game's IOS) that comes with CIOSCorp 3.4? It's driving me completely bonkers, and I'm worried that a retail disc would do the same damn thing. Here's my setup:

Rock Band 2 NTSC-U
4.1U
BootMii v1 installed to boot2
Preloader
CIOSCorp 3.4 (previously fully installed, but I've now done a NAND restore, and only 60 and 37 are currently installed... bare minimum for RB2 via disc channel)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

chA1nBull3t

Trophies
Website
www.kalam1ty.co.cc
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure that is does save to the SD card, but only somewhat. All of the DLC you obtain stays on the SD card but you MUST have at least 200blocks in your wii "reserved" for the SD card to send data over to your Wii temporarily (very much like how RAM is to a computer).

If it's not saving to your SD, then maybe your SD card isn't compatible. I RB2 supports NON-SDHC cards only, if I recall.

sorry if this didn't really help. That's the only thing I can think of at this moment.

jpref

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i found that i was spending enough time on the game to validate buying the retail copy, memory issues disappeared !

playingsolitare

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, that's odd. I had the EXACT same problem as you did before when I tried to play via USB HD or back-up channel but it works perfect now that I have ciosCORP. Recently updated to v3.4 without problems. Why did you feel the need to uninstall ciosCORP? It's more dangerous to try to uninstall rather than leave it alone.

imapterodactyl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
playingsolitare said:
Hmm, that's odd. I had the EXACT same problem as you did before when I tried to play via USB HD or back-up channel but it works perfect now that I have ciosCORP. Recently updated to v3.4 without problems. Why did you feel the need to uninstall ciosCORP? It's more dangerous to try to uninstall rather than leave it alone.

I thought it may be an issue with the IOS37 included with cIOSCorp 3.4, so I just backtracked. I also didn't want to have all my IOSes cIOSCorped, and realized I could just install the necessary IOSes for Rock Band (37 and 60 to play from disc channel). I didn't manually uninstall the IOSes, I just did a NAND restore (I made a backup before installing cIOSCorp in the first place) via Bootmii.

I'm now almost certain that the ISO I obtained isn't actually USING IOS 37 though... I think it was patched (most likely to 249). I attempted to use IOS Patcher 1.1 to change it to 37, but Rock Band and Guitar Hero can't be IOS patched with it, unfortunately. The reason for my suspicion is that the game isn't recognizing my drums and mic when loaded through the disc channel, but it DOES when I load it via a USB loader with Hermes 223. When launched via disc channel, it's acting just like it does when loaded via USB running IOS 249. I'm currently obtaining a proper scene release, and in the meantime I'm going to try the ISO I already have through SoftChip, which should let me force it to run on 37 (installed as 232). If it works that way, then I'll know that my current copy is in fact NOT using 37 as it should be.

imapterodactyl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chA1nBull3t said:
I'm pretty sure that is does save to the SD card, but only somewhat. All of the DLC you obtain stays on the SD card but you MUST have at least 200blocks in your wii "reserved" for the SD card to send data over to your Wii temporarily (very much like how RAM is to a computer).

If it's not saving to your SD, then maybe your SD card isn't compatible. I RB2 supports NON-SDHC cards only, if I recall.

sorry if this didn't really help. That's the only thing I can think of at this moment.

Thanks for your reply, but you're not quite understanding my problem. The game IS copying the files properly to SD. The problem is that it doesn't remove them from system memory afterward. As a result, if I play 4 DLC songs in a row, at 200 blocks each, it's now taking up 800 blocks of system memory instead of 200. And if I don't manually delete the DLC from system memory before loading the game again, the game automatically copies all 4 songs back to SD again when it starts, and once again leaves the 800 blocks in system memory as well.... then starts a NEW dlc file that also keeps growing until I'm out of memory and the game errors. The way it SHOULD work is only one song at any given time should be loaded into system memory, and it should swap out every time it loads another.

imapterodactyl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Problem solved! I installed an unpatched IOS37 and loaded the game via disc channel, and it still worked (normally, I believe IOS Patcher could have told me the game was using 249, but once again, IOS Patcher doesn't work with this game). So my ISO has clearly been patched to 249, which fully explains both the DLC and instrument issues. New, untouched ISO should fix the problem immediately.

And to jpref: I WOULD just go buy the game if I hadn't just spent so much money on Beatles Rock Band and 2 guitars, a mic, and RB2 drums. As such, I'm out of expendable income for a good couple of weeks, after which I'm sure I'll buy the thing. If I really like a game, I ALWAYS end up buying the original eventually.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Glad you got it
smile.gif
. Well, if you realy want to be shure you have enough Space (or running out of Space) for DLC or Customs, I think this might be interessting:

http://nicksasa.ueuo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2

It's pretty untested and it's maybe dangerous, so use at your own risk (BootMii as Bootv2 FTW), but if this works, you can go straight up to X GB Memory.

imapterodactyl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blue-K said:
Glad you got it
smile.gif
. Well, if you realy want to be shure you have enough Space (or running out of Space) for DLC or Customs, I think this might be interessting:

http://nicksasa.ueuo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2

It's pretty untested and it's maybe dangerous, so use at your own risk (BootMii as Bootv2 FTW), but if this works, you can go straight up to X GB Memory.

Nice, thanks! I'll check it out.

Aso, in the end, my ISO was fine. The new ISO was exhibiting the same symptoms as the one I thought was faulty, and it turns out that RB2 will actually run via disc channel without IOS37 installed (I was lead to believe otherwise in several forums)... I updated my other IOSes (old versions not touched since 3.2 since I always used Waninkoko's updaters instead of Nintendo), and the game magically started working just fine; both copies. Since I can't use IOS Patcher on this game, I'm still not entirely positive which IOS fixed it, or if perhaps the game uses another IOS in conjunction with 37. Once I got it fully functioning along with the dlc hack (along with GH5 and it's dlc hacks), I went ahead and backed up my NAND and SD so that I'll never have to deal with it again.

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
I have this same problem with system memory
frown.gif
If I install cIOSCorp (only the IOS 60) and play through the disc channel, will the problem be fixed? Or do I have to install the cIOSCorp IOS37 too? Or what should I do!!?

Please help, RB2 is so awesome but I can't play my favorite songs because all of them are DLC.

huntroll

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but is running the disc channel only option? Can I use usb loader gx with ios37 to avoid the memory problem?

Whazza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
huntroll said:
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but is running the disc channel only option? Can I use usb loader gx with ios37 to avoid the memory problem?

Personally, I played Rock Band 2 with cIOSX rev20 (using 56 as base) and it didn't give me a memory problem.

And since IOS 56 is the same IOS The Beatles' Rock Band uses, all of the instruments should work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: what's that game about? is it just another horny game?