ROM Hack ripping a ds program

sandybunnychibi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was wondering, with all the editting of nds games, from changing text, to messing with the images and sound and so on. is there a way to copy or pull the programming.. like what makes eveyrthing do what.. and use that??? would it have the images embbeded? would it have sound and text? Or would it simply be the..um example would be like mario..i rip the prog, and mario jumps left and right...and when he hits a cube it makes a mush room..would i get this? and be able to put my own images sounds and tweaks to it?
curiouse cause i been trying to rip the images from pokemon...to put differnt images in..but im sucking badly at it...like UBER lol someone make a video of it for me! jk. so i thought it might be easier ot rip the prog and use something like game maker and just make my images and insert the prog...
ya think this would work?
opinons would be awesome. OH this wont be for sell or anything
just for fun...i just..wanna switch pokemon with my favorite anime people and catch them all and make a copy with useing sprites of my friends and family for fun..lol it be awesome to catch my bf and put him in a ball when im done with him!

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have no clue what you are talking about. Do you mean from the actual game itself?
Well, yeah. It's also called "dumping".
This way, the ROM itself is pulled out. And the ROM itself contains every single data (except for the save, of course).
If you want to rip pokemon sprites, grab yourself a pokemon ROM, a tile editor, and start.

When you look inside a DS ROM, it contains many files.
Some of these files are texts, some are images, image maps, image palettes, other information, well, anything.
The image is not embedded, it's a separate file where the palette/mapping of the images are separate in most cases.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the "program" is acually the file "arm9.bin", but usually the arm9.bin also gets code from other random files in the .nds file.
but it's not easy to edit.

most romhackers can't change more in the arm9.bin than a few "pointers" which point out where text is located and how long a section of text is.

also, gamemaker can ONLY edit .gmd(old), .gm6(V6) and .gmk(V7 and up) files.
for already compiled software, like an arm9.bin you can only use a hex editor.

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thedicemaster said:
the "program" is acually the file "arm9.bin", but usually the arm9.bin also gets code from other random files in the .nds file.
but it's not easy to edit.

most romhackers can't change more in the arm9.bin than a few "pointers" which point out where text is located and how long a section of text is.

also, gamemaker can ONLY edit .gmd(old), .gm6(V6) and .gmk(V7 and up) files.
for already compiled software, like an arm9.bin you can only use a hex editor.
the problem is that in some cases, you can't expand the file size of the arm9.bin.
and because MOST of the arm9.bin is completely pointer based, if you expand the length of a text, you'll need to re calculate the pointers of EVERYTHING after it, including the pointers for the codes, the other texts, images that might be in the arm9.bin and more.

sandybunnychibi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iv tried to rip the sprites.. i keep having tons of issues with it.. i was hopeing to edit the text a little and the graphix.. that all i really want to do. Not really change much of the prog.
but if what oyu say about game maker is true then i guess that part is pointless and im back to figuring out how to pull a graphic and what the text files are adn which are the graphic files.
sorry for being a bother thanks for the info

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
are you trying to get the source? I'm sure googling it would help... not

thats some serious/uber 1337/impossible hacking your talking about! learn how to walk before you run man!

pretty sure what your trying to do is not possible... except by nintendo... hey! ask THEM for the source!!

sandybunnychibi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no need to be rude , i asked the question because i wasnt sure and i was trying to look at the problem i was having from a differnt view. it how you figure things out. im sorry if my question seems to have utterly offended your sensblities.
i dont mind being told it hard or that someone cant help me with it , but if your just going to be rude about not being able to help you really shouldnt post a reply.
Tile Molester was being troublesome and wouldnt work so i was hopeing to just basicly make the images and copy and paste the prog in where the images was and convert it to a ds file. that all i wanted to do.

hrc969

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sandybunnychibi, there is a program out, called PokeDSPic. This program lets you extract and insert pokemon sprites into D/P. If you need other sprites I might be able to help, or not. We'll see. First describe in more detail which kind of images you were looking for.

Oh and maybe you should educate yourself a bit, so you don't get made fun of. I was about to say something about you asking for the source, but seeing as it was already brought up, I won't say what I was going to say. Now I just say, read and learn.

Also maybe you would benefit from learning how to hack (and program), rather than asking for some complicated program to be made for you.

EDIT: PokeDSPic that is the link to the program for pokemon sprites. You will need something like NitroExplorer2 to extract and then insert the modified narc file.

I saw your other thread and most of the people that responded did not know what they were talking about. The DPPt sprites are encrypted not compressed. Crytaltile and Nintendlord's tool are useless because what you need is something specialized for pokemon sprites. PokeDSPic is such a specialized program.

sandybunnychibi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
THANKS. i downloaded them both, used nitro to open the rom and look at the narcs- i dont know which one is the sprites though ..im useing pearl...should i try a gba pokemon instead??? but i gues i havnt found the sprites because i use the narc in pokeds and it dosent show image or anything..is there somthing morei should do?
and accutly im starting my prog clases next semester at college.
right now im busy with the design classes and gameing history and evloution and multimedias.. they feel programing is something you should learn after the graphic clases..next sem i start begining prog and game level design and multi 2 ..and japanese for selfish reason lol
and turely i agree
i was just hopeing it be something kinda fun and sorta easy to do. i really just wanna trade the sprites of the pokemon out mostly. i got some sprites made to go in.
i dont mind being made of fun as long as your helpfull too.
otherwise ..i get email saying you got a post and it not for anything else but to be made fun of..so it irksome a little

hrc969

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sandybunnychibi said:
THANKS. i downloaded them both, used nitro to open the rom and look at the narcs- i dont know which one is the sprites though ..im useing pearl...should i try a gba pokemon instead??? but i gues i havnt found the sprites because i use the narc in pokeds and it dosent show image or anything..is there somthing morei should do?
and accutly im starting my prog clases next semester at college.
right now im busy with the design classes and gameing history and evloution and multimedias.. they feel programing is something you should learn after the graphic clases..next sem i start begining prog and game level design and multi 2 ..and japanese for selfish reason lol
and turely i agree
i was just hopeing it be something kinda fun and sorta easy to do. i really just wanna trade the sprites of the pokemon out mostly. i got some sprites made to go in.
i dont mind being made of fun as long as your helpfull too.
otherwise ..i get email saying you got a post and it not for anything else but to be made fun of..so it irksome a little
For pokemon pearl,
When you open NitroExplorer look at for the folder called poketool inside it will be a folder called pokegra. Inside it you can find pokegra.narc

Extract pokegra.narc and load that in PokeDSPic.

kjean

Trophies
Website
homeless
XP
Country
So your question is... (Tell me if I got you wrong
biggrin.gif
)
Q: How can I change the contents or behaviors of the pokemon games easily for fun?

hrc969

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kjean said:
So your question is... (Tell me if I got you wrong
biggrin.gif
)
Q: How can I change the contents or behaviors of the pokemon games easily for fun?
The question was about how she could insert her own sprites into pokemon D/P. She had another thread in which those answering failed miserably and hence she thought of a different route. Of course the one posed in this thread is a bit out of our league. But as she explained later why she asked what she asked we can infer that her real question was about inserting her own sprites. She wants to insert her own sprites for fun.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1