Hacking Riivolution-like app for backup disks?

tylerzentz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I want Riivolution to support backup disks so I can use it with Reggie Editor on my New Super Mario Bros. Wii backup disk.
Riivolution uses IOS 242 which does not have backup loading capabilities. What if Waninkoko's cIOS was installed to IOS 242 instead of 249...
IOS 242 would have backup loading capabilities. Would this work?

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tylerzentz said:
I want Riivolution to support backup disks so I can use it with Reggie Editor on my New Super Mario Bros. Wii backup disk.
Riivolution uses IOS 242 which does not have backup loading capabilities. What if Waninkoko's cIOS was installed to IOS 242 instead of 249...
IOS 242 would have backup loading capabilities. Would this work?

No. Also, remember that they put checks in as well, so have fun overwriting them- especially if you have no coding experience whatsoever.

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
None of that will work.

Giantpune and I have had a look at IOS242 that came with Fatal Frame 4 patch, so these findings will be based a bit on the FF4 patch (offline method, as my Wii didn't have internet when I got the patch) and IOS242.

It's like the makers of Riivolution/FF4 translation patch seem to be anti-pirates.

It's based on IOS36 v1042, which means it isn't even compatible with LU64+ consoles! It worked on my old Wii, but it blackscreened on my new Korean Wii every time.

However, it's SD module has been replaced by the SD module from IOS56 v5405, most likely for SDHC support.

That's all of the IOS stuff that the offline downloader downloads.

They then added the mload module.

But they also added something else...
Something that maybe shouldn't be in the installer...

Two more modules were added.
They are Nintendo code, but the offline downloader didn't download them...
And my Wii had no internet at the time of installation...
So that must mean that they're embedded in the installer!
Somehow (most likely by embedding them in the installer), IOS242 has what seems to be the official oh0 and oh1 OHCI (USB) modules from IOS57!

This means the installer is illegal to distribute!

And then they:
Blocked IOS242's access from it's own DIP module, by changing dev/di to dev/do, so that not even legitimate discs can be read by IOS242 on it's own!

Instead, the FF4 patcher aka IOS242 installer uses the mload module to load a custom DIP plugin which is also embedded in the installer. I believe that this custom DIP plugin is used to access the files from SD instead of disc, and it seems that backup loading doesn't "fail at it's basic level" but that they refused to put the ioctl 0xD0 and it's commands (used for loading backup discs) into their DIP, in order to try to stop pirates.

I loaded the dol in IDA, but I didn't find much. All I saw was a small routine and a heap of random data that the routine uses. To me, it looks like they've compressed the dol, maybe to make the file smaller, but I seem to think that this is to try and hide it's DIP, and the 2 copyrighted OHCI modules.

I'm not sure, but I have a hunch that it may have been compressed with dollz, but i don't know how to convert a dollz'd dol file back to a regular one. If we could decompress the installer dol, we might be able to disassemble it, and look at it's custom DIP plugin, and possibly add the backup loading code.

This anti-piracy stuff offends me, especially the DIP blocking, as that seems to be a direct attack at damysteryman and I, along with cIOSCORP.
Some may even call it self-righteous. If Nintendo themselves cannot stop any pirates, why do other people think that they can?

I'm going to stick with patching the iso, then loading it via USB or cIOSCORP.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
da_letter_a said:
But they also added something else...
Something that maybe shouldn't be in the installer...

Two more modules were added.
They are Nintendo code, but the offline downloader didn't download them...
And my Wii had no internet at the time of installation...
So that must mean that they're embedded in the installer!
Somehow (most likely by embedding them in the installer), IOS242 has what seems to be the official oh0 and oh1 OHCI (USB) modules from IOS57!

This means the installer is illegal to distribute!

QUOTEThis anti-piracy stuff offends me, especially the DIP blocking, as that seems to be a direct attack at damysteryman and I, along with cIOSCORP.
Some may even call it self-righteous. If Nintendo themselves cannot stop any pirates, why do other people think that they can?

There's another word for this. It begins in H and ends in ypocrisy.

damysteryman

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Me, or them?

If your aiming that at me:
But I was merely stating the obvoius, and I never said not to do it either.

I never thought that those guys would post a dol with copyrighted code on gbatemp though.

I posted a dol with a link, and it got removed almost immediately. I never actually post any copyrighted code. Ever since then, it's been done in a more roundabout way that doesn't break the rules.

And damysteryman and I are also working on removing our dependency on wads, but it might take a while before it's in a cIOSCORP release...

If your aiming that at them:
I only just thought of this, but having the OHCI modules, then trying to stop pirates, you're right.

So, who were you directing that to?
Me?
Them?
Both??

back on topic (a bit anyway):
I really didn't think that reputable people like that would actually do what I found in their dol file. it surprised me.

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nice work da_letter_a. You have proved what i thought all along about the makers of riivolution.

Self-rightuous Hypocrits.

Lol You may not use horrible illegal backup discs with our illegal code containing IOS installer.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
da_letter_a, at them.
  • They're anti-pirate, unless it's them doing it.
  • If they are anti pirate they should respect all licenses, not just those that protect the company they like. I bet you that they've built their dip module on top of hermes's.
  • And I bet the checks they've put in are in the mload module. Again ignoring a license to keep their double standards going.

TempusC

Trophies
Website
www.FatalFrame4.net
XP
Country
Canada
I was told by the other devs the following: (Note: I only get to touch the GUI)

1) All GPL code was removed for Zero4 or granted an exception by it’s authors.
2) The mload module is loaded in oh0's place, and oh0 gets moved to the end. This makes it look like two more modules are added, but they are not actually adding new modules.
3) The Zero4 loader originally had severe anti-pirate code, but was commented out at my request. This is probably the source of the missing functions.
4) We did not touch Hermes dip module. I may not see the code but I know the modules we are using.

Also, a fix is available that supports better PAL video detection and new LU64+ Wiis that uses newer IOS revisions - this was an oops on our part.

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nikeymikey said:
Nice work da_letter_a. You have proved what i thought all along about the makers of riivolution.

Self-rightuous Hypocrits.

Lol You may not use horrible illegal backup discs with our illegal code containing IOS installer.

cwstjdenobs said:
da_letter_a, at them.
  • They're anti-pirate, unless it's them doing it.
  • If they are anti pirate they should respect all licenses, not just those that protect the company they like. I bet you that they've built their dip module on top of hermes's.
  • And I bet the checks they've put in are in the mload module. Again ignoring a license to keep their double standards going.

QUOTE(tueidj @ Feb 10 2010, 10:22 AM)
You're surprised because you're wrong. There's no ninty code in the .dol, certainly not the oh0/oh1 modules.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TempusC said:

2) The mload module is loaded in oh0's place, and oh0 gets moved to the end. This makes it look like two more modules are added, but they are not actually adding new modules.
3) The Zero4 loader originally had severe anti-pirate code, but was commented out at my request. This is probably the source of the missing functions.
4) We did not touch Hermes dip module. I may not see the code but I know the modules we are using.

Also, a fix is available that supports better PAL video detection and new LU64+ Wiis that uses newer IOS revisions - this was an oops on our part.

Well I apologise then.

But TBH, don't pirate a game they don't want to make money out of you with is a bit, well daft.

TempusC

Trophies
Website
www.FatalFrame4.net
XP
Country
Canada
The goal of the Zero4 patch was never to prevent piracy - pirates do fine on their own. It was to support those who wanted to buy the retail game and enable them to play a patched version - something that isn’t possible on any other console to date. Plenty of people pirated our patch.

Riivolution is a different beast. It’s main dev is also involved involved in RawkSD. The RawkSD3.0, the Zero4 patch, and Riivolution have many shared parts of the codebase, but also some different parts and different ideologies.

Despite any anti-piracy patches which are applied, the main idea behind all the projects first was definitely to give users of original disks more things could do - why should pirates get all the fun? I don’t think anyone can claim that it’s bad to add more functionality.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
It has Nintendo code
wacko.gif
lol

nitrostemp said:
i call it soviet russia
You're obviously uneducated, brainwashed or tripping.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There has got to be a way you guy's can add some sort of USB loader that will only work on the wii that was used to install the game though. That would keep with the projects anti piracy stance while letting people keep their nigh on impossible to get hold of, very expensive, and almost as illegal as pirated original game safe. Well just as illegal if you actually play it.

Slimmmmmm said:
It has Nintendo code
wacko.gif
lol

nitrostemp said:
i call it soviet russia
You're obviously uneducated, brainwashed or tripping.

But in Soviet Russia you do the translations for Tecmo... erm... I'll just get my coat.

damysteryman

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
TempusC said:

Nice. It's good that these things have been changed, so that more people can use riivolution, even if they're pirates.

But about the ohci modules...
IOS242 uses IOS36 as a base, and IOS36 never had any OHCI modules to begin with, and these 2 OHCI modules were definetely present in the IOS242 after I had extracted it from my Wii's NAND.

I used the offline downloader to get the files the installer needed, and it didn't download the OHCI modules.
And my Wii had no internet connection, so the installer couldn't grab them from there.
And I didn't have IOS57 or IOS58 installed when I installed IOS242, so the installer couldn't grab them from there.
And FSToolbox and Wad Creator aren't going to add the OHCI modules themselves when I dumped IOS242 (that would be very weird if they did...)
So the only place left where the installer could look for them is embedded with the installer itself.

You were only developing the GUI?
I think you've been mislead by somebody, and I'm not surprised either. You might want to talk to the other devs about this (not sure how far you'll get though...)
To be honest, I fell a bit sorry for you. I've also been mislead by people a couple of times in my life and it pissed me off.

tueidj said:
You're surprised because you're wrong. There's no ninty code in the .dol, certainly not the oh0/oh1 modules.
Wrong.

I was however wrong about which IOS the OHCI modules came from. I just further had a look and compared IOS242's OHCI's modules against that of IOS57 and IOS58. They're not EXACTLY the same, but they seem to be almost identical to the ones found in IOS58, and the OH1 module in IOS57, but the ones in IOS242 have an older official timestamp than the ones in IOS58, but they are almost 100% identical, so they are official Nintendo code.

Either there's an older version of IOS57 than v5404 that I have to hunt down, or they exist in a IOS that is a bit older than IOS57 and IOS58.
Or this timestamp could have been tampered with to mislead anyone who discover it though, I'm not sure, but it could be possible, given the amount of other sneaky stuff that's been found.
The sizes of IOS242's OH1 module is exactly the same size as the OH1 modules found in IOS57 and 58, so there's no homebrew stuff added to them, meaning it's 100% Nintendo code.

What I don't get though, is why you guys decided to be so sneaky and nasty towards softmods. What exactly did you have to gain from doing all that?

QUOTE(TempusC @ Feb 10 2010, 07:55 PM)
The goal of the Zero4 patch was never to prevent piracy - pirates do fine on their own. It was to support those who wanted to buy the retail game and enable them to play a patched version - something that isn’t possible on any other console to date. Plenty of people pirated our patch.

Riivolution is a different beast. It’s main dev is also involved involved in RawkSD. The RawkSD3.0, the Zero4 patch, and Riivolution have many shared parts of the codebase, but also some different parts and different ideologies.

Despite any anti-piracy patches which are applied, the main idea behind all the projects first was definitely to give users of original disks more things could do - why should pirates get all the fun? I don’t think anyone can claim that it’s bad to add more functionality.
I see the motive. So it's mainly for people who do not want to mod...
But still, why should people with softmods be explicitly excluded?
Shouldn't everyone be "allowed" by you guys to use it?
After all, it could be a very useful tool for modifying games, if only everyone were able to use it.

And IMO, the main reason people took your edited game files for Fatal Frame 4 path, and patched the iso themselves, and "pirate" that as you say, was most likely because you guys tried to stop them in the first place.

Had you guys not added all the anti-piracy stuff, then they would have been able to use the patch the correct way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER