Right not working on DS Lite Dpad

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by calebh, Nov 11, 2009.

Nov 11, 2009
  1. calebh
    OP

Newcomer calebh Member

United States
    The right direction on my dpad is broken. At first, it was stuck (it wasn't physically stuck, it was just that the dpad seemed to go back to normal and it still thought I was pressing right) and now it doesn't work at all.

I have a 5 year old black ds lite, so it's definitely not covered under the warranty.

When I press it, it sounds different then the other directions. When I press the working directions, it makes a soft "clicking" noise when I press it down. When I press the broken right direction, it goes down fine, but it makes a loud clicking sound when the dpad is released (this doesn't happen with the working directions)

Perhaps somebody who has taken a ds lite apart before has some advice.

EDIT: This problem has been solved. I opened up the ds and saw some of the black stuff from the rubber pads had rubbed off onto the gold sensors. I cleaned that off with isopropanol and a qtip and replaced the rubber pads with ones I bought online. Everything works fine and the buttons feel much smoother with the new pads.

2. calebh
    OP

Newcomer calebh Member

United States
    Indeed, the right button seems to go down easier, and it feels like it's hitting a harder surface then the other directions. It still doesn't work even when trying different angles or pressure amounts applied. The noise made when released is hard to explain, when I press the other buttons it makes a softer clicking noise then when I press the right direction.

3. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Sounds like the contact pads underneath have broken. The right button is now hitting the motherboard directly. If you want to fix you'll have to buy new ones for your D-Pad and open up your DSL to replace.

4. BlackDave

Member BlackDave Official GBATemp "Cleanup Guy"

United States
    That's pretty easy to do...you just need to open to bottom of your DS, unscrew the only one screw holding the motherboard and replace the pad and put everything back in....tutorials on youtube...many of them

5. calebh
    OP

Newcomer calebh Member

United States
    [​IMG] I'll crack open the case first before I order anything off the net. My tri-wing screwdriver should be coming in a couple days. I'll post some pictures here if I can.

@BlackDave
    Does that mean I don't even have to take out the wifipack and remove all those wires running under the game slot?

6. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    No wires or anything to remove. Simply open case, unscrew motherboard, flip motherboard over, replace pad screw back together.