Review Ridge Racer for PS Vita

Langin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
WARNING GIGANTIC PICTURE INSIDE SOON I WILL EDIT THIS ONE!!!

VITA-Ridge-Racer-Box-art.jpg

Code:
Name: Ridge Racer
Publisher: Namco Bandai Games
Date of release: 25 February 2012
Price: Shops: €30,- PSN: €19,99
Genre: Racing
Multiplayer: Local and Online

There is one Vita game on the launch which was said to be the worst of all, it was Ridge Racer! Ridgeeee Raceeeeer, known from the presentation from the PSP. Well I loved the Nintendo 3DS Ridge Racer and decided to give it a shot. I got myself a PSN card and bought it including some neat DLC. But why it this game the baddest from all launch games? The game was to be build from PAID DLC. So you pay €30 for this game then you get five cars and three courses. The rest needs to be bought, I was like WTF NAMCO!?

Think before you whine

I've learned a lesson from this game, I risked to buy this and it seems like it was a good one! When you start up the game you get a F*****G stupid and slick menu it is hard to find your way trough it the first time you play it but after getting used to it, it feels slick and nice. Right, in your first race the first thing you notice is how slick and nice everything goes, the Framrate it lovely, the mechanics are good and the CPU's are challenging! But I had one thing I'd complain about the controls, but this can be changed to fit your way! Also I hate automatic shifting the gears since I want the real car feeling and of course this can be set to manual, then you'll chose between the rear touch pad shifting or trough buttons, I tried both per accident. The rear touchpad controls fail! I can't get used to it! >.> but trough buttons it is great! I can't say it sucks!

Online try at own risk!

The second thing I am going to discuss is online racing, when you go online for the first time ever, you'll just enter some room to race... LOL you'll be beaten without any hassle since the others just have way stronger engines! So beware those who want this game!(Check the room level before entering, if it is Level one your save) the online gameplay is just as smooth as off-line.

Namco never heard of story modes before?

If you want to play a GOOD offline game you need to skip this one, there are TWO off line gamemodes counted! Wait so TWO offline gamemodes?

• Spot racing(Free racing aka exhibition)
  • Time racing(Explains itself time trial)

Two offline gamemodes and no story, sorry but if you want some offline bang for your buck then skip this please. Online is perfect.

Free DLC for all!

Free DLC? yes! Freeeeeee DLC get it? there IS free DLC, music so don't get your hypes up yet. The rest like cars and tracks are paid... But to be honest the paid stuff is made from good quality.

Conclusion

Hmm I love it! The online races are heating up everytime again, and offline is nice to train your skills. But the paid DLC is still somewhere to be a con...

Expect a real review soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    there is a plugin that display them on the wii u menu, pretty sure it is enabled by default
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    so like it doesnt exist
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New hamster PC, with anal operation and BT connectivity!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, How do I make enemies respawn on gdevelop after
    the player dies?
    Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!
    Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or when your player dies, you can say in code, if enemy exists, do nothing, but if enemy does not exist, then create enemy at certain spot. (This would be a pain tho for lots of emeies)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Easiest, simple way would be just restart scene, but player would restart from beginning.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Easiest, simple way would be just restart scene, but player would restart from beginning.