Review Ridge Racer for PS Vita

Langin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
WARNING GIGANTIC PICTURE INSIDE SOON I WILL EDIT THIS ONE!!!

VITA-Ridge-Racer-Box-art.jpg

Code:
Name: Ridge Racer
Publisher: Namco Bandai Games
Date of release: 25 February 2012
Price: Shops: €30,- PSN: €19,99
Genre: Racing
Multiplayer: Local and Online

There is one Vita game on the launch which was said to be the worst of all, it was Ridge Racer! Ridgeeee Raceeeeer, known from the presentation from the PSP. Well I loved the Nintendo 3DS Ridge Racer and decided to give it a shot. I got myself a PSN card and bought it including some neat DLC. But why it this game the baddest from all launch games? The game was to be build from PAID DLC. So you pay €30 for this game then you get five cars and three courses. The rest needs to be bought, I was like WTF NAMCO!?

Think before you whine

I've learned a lesson from this game, I risked to buy this and it seems like it was a good one! When you start up the game you get a F*****G stupid and slick menu it is hard to find your way trough it the first time you play it but after getting used to it, it feels slick and nice. Right, in your first race the first thing you notice is how slick and nice everything goes, the Framrate it lovely, the mechanics are good and the CPU's are challenging! But I had one thing I'd complain about the controls, but this can be changed to fit your way! Also I hate automatic shifting the gears since I want the real car feeling and of course this can be set to manual, then you'll chose between the rear touch pad shifting or trough buttons, I tried both per accident. The rear touchpad controls fail! I can't get used to it! >.> but trough buttons it is great! I can't say it sucks!

Online try at own risk!

The second thing I am going to discuss is online racing, when you go online for the first time ever, you'll just enter some room to race... LOL you'll be beaten without any hassle since the others just have way stronger engines! So beware those who want this game!(Check the room level before entering, if it is Level one your save) the online gameplay is just as smooth as off-line.

Namco never heard of story modes before?

If you want to play a GOOD offline game you need to skip this one, there are TWO off line gamemodes counted! Wait so TWO offline gamemodes?

• Spot racing(Free racing aka exhibition)
  • Time racing(Explains itself time trial)

Two offline gamemodes and no story, sorry but if you want some offline bang for your buck then skip this please. Online is perfect.

Free DLC for all!

Free DLC? yes! Freeeeeee DLC get it? there IS free DLC, music so don't get your hypes up yet. The rest like cars and tracks are paid... But to be honest the paid stuff is made from good quality.

Conclusion

Hmm I love it! The online races are heating up everytime again, and offline is nice to train your skills. But the paid DLC is still somewhere to be a con...

Expect a real review soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Shouldn't preservation be legal tho?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.
    +1
    Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Believe Japan was going to make it legal at some point, according to a Kotaku story.
    +1
    I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade machines are old and busted very few ever saw any sort of home conversion
    We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time or dumped.
    +1
    It's so unfair, maybe AI can save us lol
    I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why not? The rights for some games are completely lost though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, AI is taking our jobs!
    +1
    Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh