Rick and Morty Mobile Game Announced: Pocket Mortys

pocket_mortys-325x167.jpg

Announced today on their twitter page, Adult Swim Games will release Pocket Mortys for Android and iOS on January 14th. It is based on their ever-popular and critically acclaimed adult animated television series Rick and Morty. It's slated free but no word about in-app purchases. And taking Adult Swim's senior producer Chris Johnston words: "This is all game. Real game. The real McCoy. The Real Ghostbusters."

From the looks (and name) of it, the game will, somehow, be played à la Pokémon. You can see it briefly in action in the tweet or gif below:

output_cJ9yyO.gif

If you're familiar with the series, you know what to expect with its subtle (and not-so subtle) inferences, philosophical undertones and crude jokes.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There were two different kinds of Mortys in the little GIF alone. I hope I can get me a shiny Morty! xD
Well a beat up Morty and a regular Morty.
I guess that is how they'll be differing Mortys but it seems more like conditions than actual changed characteristics.
Though this is just a tiny tiny preview and if they know what they are doing they'll go nuts on the alternate Mortys to make the game fun.
At least 151 Mortys I do hope.
MewrtyTwo, Mewrty, and Missing.Mo would be wonderful jokes and references to Pokemon. xD

I have a feeling the game will be very short and simple but I really hope they take it as seriously as they claim and make a full Pokemon sized RPG with it.
Shiny Mortys and all. :3

LordKail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Really enjoy the show. I don't mind if the game turns out short - as long as it has good references and character dialogue and semi-good playability, I'm okay with that :>

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well a beat up Morty and a regular Morty.
I guess that is how they'll be differing Mortys but it seems more like conditions than actual changed characteristics.
Though this is just a tiny tiny preview and if they know what they are doing they'll go nuts on the alternate Mortys to make the game fun.
At least 151 Mortys I do hope.
MewrtyTwo, Mewrty, and Missing.Mo would be wonderful jokes and references to Pokemon. xD

I have a feeling the game will be very short and simple but I really hope they take it as seriously as they claim and make a full Pokemon sized RPG with it.
Shiny Mortys and all. :3
He's called "scruffy Morty" TYVM.

Osga21

Full Time Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm a sucker for anything and everythong Rick & Morty, it's probably my favorite show. Don't really know what to expect of this game, especially since was announced so unexpectedly, but I'll probably give it a go when it's released to see if it's any good.

Reactions: Deleted User

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's out (just checked the UK Play store), and it has in app purchases. Will see if it's playable without purchasing, or whether to look for a hacked version.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This may be the best Android game released to this point. You can get in-game currency by watching short ads for other Adult Swim stuff, but you can also get it just by playing the game and winning battles. I wasn't able to find anything you actually have to purchase with real money. And yes, there are a LOT of different types of Mortys.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
This may be the best Android game released to this point. You can get in-game currency by watching short ads for other Adult Swim stuff, but you can also get it just by playing the game and winning battles. I wasn't able to find anything you actually have to purchase with real money. And yes, there are a LOT of different types of Mortys.
The Blips and Chitz tickets can be purchased with actual cash, but you always seem to get 1 after the council battles.

As for the game, it's pretty...bad, IMO. XP rates are super low so it takes ages to level up Morty's, and while you can just "combine" some of them in the daycare, you can only do it once or twice and that's it, then you're stuck leveling again. Prices for items seem super high compared to the money you get from battles, too, especially in the beginning when you have one or two Morty's and you need items most. The actual levels are also super repetitive, and could benefit from a "pit stop" type deal where you can heal up all your Morty's. Moves have such low AP that you just run out of attacks after two or three battles, so you have to either continually switch between multiple Morty's to keep a good amount of AP for the "boss Ricks", or craft/purchase more Plutonic Rocks...which is annoyingly inconvenient to do, because you don't get enough money, or crafting supplies to make all that much during levels.

I do like all the Morty's though, they pulled out a lot of neat little ideas and the art for them are pretty great. I used all my mega seeds on my normal Morty and made him OP as hell, he makes an awesome boss killer.

If they could just toss a pit stop heal during levels and upped the XP rates or something it'd be a pretty great game to play once in a while, but as it stands now it's just annoying and boring. I sunk like 3 hours into it in my down time at work and at least 2 of them were spent being incredibly bored.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Blips and Chitz tickets can be purchased with actual cash, but you always seem to get 1 after the council battles.

As for the game, it's pretty...bad, IMO. XP rates are super low so it takes ages to level up Morty's, and while you can just "combine" some of them in the daycare, you can only do it once or twice and that's it, then you're stuck leveling again. Prices for items seem super high compared to the money you get from battles, too, especially in the beginning when you have one or two Morty's and you need items most. The actual levels are also super repetitive, and could benefit from a "pit stop" type deal where you can heal up all your Morty's. Moves have such low AP that you just run out of attacks after two or three battles, so you have to either continually switch between multiple Morty's to keep a good amount of AP for the "boss Ricks", or craft/purchase more Plutonic Rocks...which is annoyingly inconvenient to do, because you don't get enough money, or crafting supplies to make all that much during levels.

I do like all the Morty's though, they pulled out a lot of neat little ideas and the art for them are pretty great. I used all my mega seeds on my normal Morty and made him OP as hell, he makes an awesome boss killer.

If they could just toss a pit stop heal during levels and upped the XP rates or something it'd be a pretty great game to play once in a while, but as it stands now it's just annoying and boring. I sunk like 3 hours into it in my down time at work and at least 2 of them were spent being incredibly bored.

Except for the part where you say that it is harder in the beginning with less mortys you are 100% right ...
Just beaten the second Council member and I never have enough money plus my mortys are not that strong ... hat to use one of those meesiks boxes for the council member fight ...
since the 3rd badge i can never beat every enemy on the map as I do not have the needed amount of AP

Do those moves increasing or decreasing something even work ? when I use some attack do decrease the opponents def I usual only do 1 dmg extra which is like nothing ...

P.S. I haven't combined my mortys yet as I do not have two of the same kind because of the huge cost of those chips to capture a morty ... does the morty change when you combine or just get some exp ?
is it worth it ?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
P.S. I haven't combined my mortys yet as I do not have two of the same kind because of the huge cost of those chips to capture a morty ... does the morty change when you combine or just get some exp ?
is it worth it ?
They turn into different Morty's, and are given 2-4 levels. They'll keep their same type, will usually be given a new move or two, and usually have better stats (though the stat increases aren't exactly all that high). I've combined 2 level 9 green shirt Morty's into some level 14...other colored Morty.

Honestly, for anyone looking to play the game, I would suggest just getting Lucky Patcher (if you're rooted) and just getting 40 of those tickets for free. Once I did that, I was at least able to get enough mega seeds and crafting supplies to at least make the game "fair", or at least less stupid.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well thanks to combining i am now able to complete all Trainers in one level and i have Mord than enough money because I found out that stray Morty's give more money than trainer plus items

Have a full lvl 20 team and beat 3rd council member

No cheating required ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch