The Game Awards 2017 Winners and Announcements

the-game-awards-2017-logo-747x309.jpeg

It's that time of the year again!

No, not Christmas or New Year (although those are pretty close too...) but it's time for The Game Awards, the pompous event that recognizes and upholds creative and technical excellence in the global video game industry!

Created in 2014 by media entrepreneur Geoff Keighley, the event has grown to look more and more professional with the years, especially considering the fiasco of its predecessor, VGX (okay, we shouldn't really be talking about that...). The Game Awards is starting to feel like a real celebration of both game creators and game players with its line of renowned guests, grandiose setup and sneak peeks of upcoming games. This year's edition will feature guests ranging from Hideo Kojima, Norman Reedus, Guillermo del Toro (mandatory bromance trio) to performance capture actor Andy Serkis (Gollum, Supreme Leader Snoke) and Rick and Morty's co-creator Justin Roiland!

On top of that the program is broadcast globally, free-of-charge, and can be streamed on Twitch, YouTube, Facebook Live, Twitter and of course, right here on GBAtemp as it starts airing at 1 a.m GMT (Friday):

Oh, and don't forget to vote for your favorite game in different categories right here!

What are you most excited about the event? Will you be tuning in? Share your thoughts below!

Announcements

• Saber Interactive's World War Z announced (Steam | PS4 | XB1)
  • Owlchemy Labs' VR Game Vacation Simulator coming 2018 (Oculus | Vive | PSVR)
  • Crows Crows Crows' Accounting+ coming to PSVR 19th December (PSVR)
  • From Software's newest project teased - "Shadows Die Twice."
  • Campo Santo's In the Valley of Gods announced for 2019
  • New Zelda BotW DLC releases tonight
  • Soul Calibur VI coming 2018 (Steam | PS4 | XB1)
  • THQ Nordic's new game Fade to Silence releases 14th December (Steam)
  • Bayonetta 1 & 2 coming to Nintendo Switch in February 2018
  • Bayonetta 3 announced for Nintendo Switch
  • Kojima's Death Stranding just looks insane and brilliant; much like the man himself
  • Witchfire announced from the creators of The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
  • New footage shown for A Way Out - with my new favourite person narrating, releasing March 28th
  • Jumanji video game announced
  • Media Molecule's Dreams was shown in a new trailer, coming 2018
  • GTFO announced, a four player co-op FPS with the tagline: "Work Together or Die Together"
  • 4A Games' Metro Exodus trailer shown, coming fall 2018 (Steam | PS4 | XB1)
Award Winners

• Trending Gamer - Dr. Disrespect
  • Best Score / Music - NieR: Automata
  • Best Mobile Game - Monument Valley 2
  • Best Sports Racing Game - Forza Motorsports 7
  • Best VR / AR Game - Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
  • Best Handheld Game - Metroid: Samus Returns
  • Best Narrative - What Remains of Edith Finch
  • Best Action Game - Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
  • Best Art Direction - Cuphead
  • Industry Icon - Carol Shaw
  • Best RPG - Persona 5
  • Best Strategy Game - Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
  • Most Anticipated Game - The Last of Us: Part II
  • Best Family Game - Super Mario Odyssey
  • Best eSports Team - Cloud9
  • Best Debut Indie Game - Cuphead
  • Best Ongoing Game - Overwatch
  • Best eSports Player - Faker
  • Best Student Game - Level Squared
  • Games for Impact - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Best Audio Design - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Best Performance - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Best Game Direction - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Best Action-Adventure Game - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Game of the Year - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Last edited by Scarlet,

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I dont like botw but it will win lol
With the crazy ammount of fanboyz...

Isn't this true for every other game in the event? These are the only people who care about a prize so they can push their agenda upon others.

Normal gamers just play what they like and don't care if it won a medal or not.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't this true for every other game in the event? These are the only people who care about a prize so they can push their agenda upon others.

Yeah, not like the creators deserve credit for making a great game or anything

D

Deleted User

Or they are afraid of the HUGE ammount of fanboyz of zelda
Again, i like zelda, not everybody is a fanboy blabla, still I think zelda won and didnt deserve it...

Rokku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When not-a-game wins narrative. Should have fucking given it to a visual novel with at least a game over screen to even put up illusions. Nier or Hellblade should have walked away with this.

Yeah, in my opinion Edith Finch shouldn't have even been eligible for the award, let alone won it. Nier Automata is literally the best written video game I've ever played.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, in my opinion Edith Finch shouldn't have even been eligible for the award, let alone won it. Nier Automata is literally the best written video game I've ever played.
I disagree. Yeah, Edith Finch doesn't have much in terms of gameplay, but what it lacked there it made up for in style, story, and experience

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I disagree. Yeah, Edith Finch doesn't have much in terms of gameplay, but what it lacked there it made up for in style, story, and experience
As far as I know, Edith Finch doesn't have any game play. I view it on the same level as the VR experiences, like the deep sea experience. This is why I made the comment that if they wanted to at least keep up appearances they should have put in a visual novel with a game over screen. Even a visual novel with a single choice has more discernable gameplay than Edith Finch.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't 'played' it yet, but rather judging from what I've seen.

Rokku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm sure it does, but it shouldn't be in the running with actual games. Give that stuff its own category instead of snubbing a game that's both brilliantly written and possessing exceptional gameplay.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah, not like the creators deserve credit for making a great game or anything

Who decides what is a "great game" or not? Is there a scientific approach to it? Do these people have any bias or did they find a group of completely unbiased people on earth? I'm not saying I didn't like the games which were awarded I just think the whole awards is plain BS.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who decides what is a "great game" or not? Is there a scientific approach to it? Do these people have any bias or did they find a group of completely unbiased people on earth? I'm not saying I didn't like the games which were awarded I just think the whole awards is plain BS.
Quite literally the people who vote. I decided. You decided if you chose to

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry but you have no right to call fanboy to anyone who loves that game.
BOTW is a masterpiece and thats not an opinion, its a fact.
Nah, it's an opinion. MY opinion is that it's a cookie-cutter open world take-over-the-bases collectathon game that like all the others before it hasn't changed much since Just Cause started the trend some 11 years ago.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This... THIS... is so true
Whatever the result is, playstation fanboy and xboner will find a way to say "nintendo sucks"
Yes, îm a nintendo fanboy
I tryed playstation by buying a ps4 and it was clearly not for me
I sold it to get a switch
But Nintendo does suck. This is coming from someone who doesn't own either one of Microsoft or Sony's marginal "next-gen" systems. I hate all those proprietary DRM boxes.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Senua takes three and BotW takes three. I would've actually chosen Odyssey out of the options for GotY, oh well. The other winners are pretty solid, Nier and Cuphead and Wolf2 and all that. Nintendo got a lot of wins outside of BotW too.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least Mario got some kind of reward. Would have been funny if they tied for GOTY.

Haven't play Neir personally, but I do agree just from watching it, that it should have won. At least it got music

"Best visual novel" would be interesting. Would give Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton a chance to win.

Last edited by KingVamp,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least Mario got some kind of reward. Would have been funny if they tied for GOTY.
Haven't play it personally, but I do agree just from watching it, that it should have won. At least it got music

"Best visual novel" would be interesting. Would give Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton a chance to win.
Mario Odyssey, as good as it is, is NOT game of the year material

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't play it personally, but I do agree just from watching it, that it should have won. At least it got music

Neir won best music (though I think that should have went to cuphead for the big band music and barbershop quartet) mario won best family game
and for VN's I doubt they would every have a category for it, its just not popular outside of JP, but if there was we all know Steins;Gate 0 would have won ;O;

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night