• Likes 35

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xT7J5kw.png

Yup, I checked it out and fixed it. Like What said, it was in our list but we never saw it appear so I left it obvious so somebody would know to report it. Thanks so much for the bug report! It's reassuring to see people are trying odd stuff to look for hard-to-spot texts.

We're getting close on the game title cards. Won't be much longer before they're all settled. Then we're down to fixing a couple of formatting bugs before the graphics are all wrapped up. We still haven't found anyone to be a Sound Guy or Gal. Hopefully we can find somebody who wants to take on that project over the holiday break!

Once we get all that stuff wrapped up, I think we're going to have a release here so you thread checkers can get a first shot at playtesting before we issue the final revision of the patch.

MRsonic699

Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
I love this project, I played this game a lot on my EZ Flash IV for the past days and I'm in love with it. You're putting some great work on it and I can't wait for the in-game sprites to be edited too. Regarding my previous message, I also tried it on the Supercard Mini SD and it works perfectly with a 2gb Sandisk Mini SD. Keep up the awesome work!

Reactions: W hat

d235j

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Audio? Try this: http://little-scale.blogspot.com/2012/12/how-to-extract-pcm-samples-from-gba-rom.html

Looks like the sound effect audio in this game is raw samples. About half of the ROM image is samples. This shouldn't be all that difficult to switch out. Some of the cues can be found at 1:20 on...

There would also be MIDI/MOD type music in the ROM, that uses these raw samples... that would be a lot more work to get at. However, I don't think we need to change the music.

W hat: Feel free to PM me.

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well yeah, extracting the raw audio data is easy enough. It's reinserting it back that seems like a difficulty if you ask me, as you can't just resave the imported raw audio as a ROM...

(If you know how, I'd love to know too! :))

d235j

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Inserting it back? Save the audio as raw signed 8bit 12000Hz samples, then replace the exact number of bytes with your the new raw samples, perhaps using a hex editor. 12000hz 8-bit means that 12000 bytes of the ROM make up one second of "audio" in Audacity.
Audacity's raw import just treats the input file as an array of bytes.

This doesn't let you edit the music sequences, but you could edit the instrument samples this way...

EDIT: I may be a bit off with 12000Hz; I'll verify this with a debugger.

Reactions: Celice and DaVince

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't wait for this to be finished :) I suppose it would be difficult, but once most other stuff is finished and once audio modding is figured out, it'd be nice if the "missing" songs could be added to the music player (remix 1, 2 etc). I've been trying to get a clean rip of remix 2 for ages.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, Audacity actually can read the audio in the ROM. Signed 8-bit PCM, no Endianness, Mono, start at 0 bytes, 100% of file, sample rate of 13815 Hz gives very close to authentic audio. Increasing the sample rate would give you a higher-pitched / faster audio track, and vice-versa for a lower sample rate. 7m20s (after importing at 13815 Hz) is a good place to look - it's where The Bon Odori is. Despite the game having a mono/stereo option, I think the songs may be stored as mono. It would save a lot of space. That would mean the game just feeds the sound effects (clapping etc.) to different speakers as necessary. If anyone knows for certain that the audio is in stereo, and can show me how to prove it, I'd love to see it.

Reactions: DaVince

d235j

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The samples would be in mono; if you find two similar but not quite identical samples for a single effect then that effect might be in stereo.

The music, which uses MIDI-like sequences, could easily be stereo without taking up significant extra space. Simply different samples would be used for left and right channel.

http://www.pineight.com/gba/samplerates/ allows calculating sample rates based on playback parameters. Unfortunately I was unable to easily find what the parameters get set to; it should be possible with a good debugger.

oddMLan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, Audacity actually can read the audio in the ROM. Signed 8-bit PCM, no Endianness, Mono, start at 0 bytes, 100% of file, sample rate of 13815 Hz gives very close to authentic audio. Increasing the sample rate would give you a higher-pitched / faster audio track, and vice-versa for a lower sample rate. 7m20s (after importing at 13815 Hz) is a good place to look - it's where The Bon Odori is. Despite the game having a mono/stereo option, I think the songs may be stored as mono. It would save a lot of space. That would mean the game just feeds the sound effects (clapping etc.) to different speakers as necessary. If anyone knows for certain that the audio is in stereo, and can show me how to prove it, I'd love to see it.

I'd say the real audio frequency is closer to 13500 Hz. I used the "Couldn't wait for you" vocals for testing (@9:02.70). In fact, 13500 Hz sounds just right. 13815 Hz sounds a bit higher pitched than the emulated audio.

EDIT: By the way, does anybody here managed to get to work Y.S's Automated Drum Lessons and Automated Gameplay codes posted here? The rest of the codes work fine except these two. I tweeted to the Y.S. twitter account but he replied something along the lines of "I find strange to be demanded the support of a cheat code which I wrote several years ago. I shared this one and received no reward. I don't have the environment to test anymore."

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beta 10a - December 19, 2013 - Or download the patch with source code (minor update 2017-09-14).

This has a great deal of graphics translated (at least 80%), and maybe some bugfixes that weren't in the previous release. It's been a while. Many thanks to SirNiko, MegaRockEXE, and Greiga Master for their work.

4mJ8HW3.png

Some graphics use Munro, and perhaps other fonts under the Open Font License. To use the source code to compile your own graphical edits, put these programs into the same folder as compile.bat and everything else. Put an unmodified Rhythm Tengoku ROM named rh-jpn.gba into the Game folder and run compile.bat.
  • armips.exe
  • Atlas.exe (by Klarth)
  • DSDecmp.exe
In the coming weeks and months, we hope to start inserting English audio in appropriate places. ("Turn left!" and so on.) If you're interested in auditioning for such a role, keep an eye on this thread or start following us on Twitter.
---
I'd say the real audio frequency is closer to 13500 Hz. I used the "Couldn't wait for you" vocals for testing (@9:02.70). In fact, 13500 Hz sounds just right. 13815 Hz sounds a bit higher pitched than the emulated audio.
Sounds perfect! Thanks! I'm surprised how much of the ROM is just audio. It looks like it's over half! That makes searching for unused (non-audio) content much easier!

Fun activity: Load up Soundvoyager (J) using the same process, and go on a 15+ minute, avant-garde journey through the universe of sound.

Notes for the hacking team: approximate timestamps of Japanese audio (including some that we're not going to change -- I'm just being nice and thorough)
Bold are things we'd like to change to English.

Marcher and Toss Boys are around 1:00 to 2:00 at 13500 Hz.
Rap Men - 2:50
Unidentified voices around 5:00 and 7:00 and 8:40 and 10:10
Glorious Engrish for Karate Man - 7:15
Bon*Odori - 7:30
Sweet Angel of song title that doesn't translate well - 8:10
Couldn't wait for you - 9:00
Fireworks - 10:30
Rap Women - 10:45
Marcher 2 - 11:00

One could probably make a hack that gender-swapped the voices of Rap Men / Rap Women. Not sure why you'd want that, outside of a curiosity.

I think I'm hearing some unused audio in here. (Seashore sounds somewhere between 3:00 and 4:00?) Maybe leftovers from a WarioWare game?

By the way, does anybody here managed to get to work Y.S's Automated Drum Lessons and Automated Gameplay codes posted here? The rest of the codes work fine except these two. I tweeted to the Y.S. twitter account but he replied something along the lines of "I find strange to be demanded the support of a cheat code which I wrote several years ago. I shared this one and received no reward. I don't have the environment to test anymore."
Never got them to work either. The only ones I could get working were the easy, single-line graphics changes. Can you post IPS patches for the ones you could get working? (I'd actually like patches for all of them.) I think I posted his patches (even if they weren't working) as IPS within the first post, but they may not be there anymore. If you snoop around the Mediafire account you may find it.

For the record, he said
何年も前に書いたチートコードのサポートを要求されるのはおかしいと思う。こっちはおすそ分けしていただけで、なんの報酬も受け取っていない。もうテストする環境もない。
I don't know Japanese so we'll have to deal with machine translations for now.

The samples would be in mono; if you find two similar but not quite identical samples for a single effect then that effect might be in stereo.

The music, which uses MIDI-like sequences, could easily be stereo without taking up significant extra space. Simply different samples would be used for left and right channel.
That's what I meant. The samples would be mono and put into individual channels as needed.
http://www.pineight.com/gba/samplerates/ allows calculating sample rates based on playback parameters. Unfortunately I was unable to easily find what the parameters get set to; it should be possible with a good debugger.
Thanks for this; I'll look at it sometime.

edit:
提供  J.P.ROOM
How should this be translated? We have it as "sponsored by" JP ROOM; Google gives "provided" or "offered" by.

Last edited by W hat,

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
"Sponsored by" should be fine. "Provided" and "offered" actually make sense too, because it's the same word shown at the start of anime and other series (ex. http://cdn-ak.f.st-hatena.com/images/fotolife/j/jigokumeguri/20090307/20090307181809.jpg) for the sponsors.
The question, I guess, is: how do English or American TV shows advertise who they have been sponsored by? Where I live (Netherlands), they say it "was partially made possible by [sponsors]". And the Japanese do it like above. So it all depends on how the local way of saying "This TV program is sponsored by so and so" is done.

何年も前に書いたチートコードのサポートを要求されるのはおかしいと思う。こっちはおすそ分けしていただけで、なんの報酬も受け取っていない。もうテストする環境もない。
I don't know Japanese so we'll have to deal with machine translations for now.
I'm still not super good at Japanese, but that machine translation doesn't seem faulty to me. "I shared this one and received no reward" sounds cruder than he actually says it (since it's basically said in a very matter-of-fact way), but that's about it.

MRsonic699

Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Just woke up today, finished getting a Superb on every song, got the 30th Perfect Rank, and then I got turned on the PC and saw Beta 10a. I just tried it on the EZ Flash IV and I just LOVE what you guys have right now, it all looks perfect and works just how it should. I'm really happy with this project, the game is exceptional and the translation is at the same level! Keep it up, guys!

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Our hacker and one of our graphics artists have teamed up for a (private) proof-of-concept voice hack! They successfully replaced the audio in Marcher 1 with filler English sounds. (A, B, 0, 1, etc.)

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm happy as long as the voice work isn't handled as poorly as in Rhythm Tengoku Gold. ;)

In any case, it's awesome that this is happening. The quality on this hack has been consistently good!

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm happy as long as the voice work isn't handled as poorly as in Rhythm Tengoku Gold. ;)

In any case, it's awesome that this is happening. The quality on this hack has been consistently good!

That's why we're avoiding the songs. If people got paid real money to do what they did in Rhythm Heaven DS, there's no way some amateurs can do a respectable job.

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think we will be done editing Japanese graphics this week, and then they just need to be inserted. That'll just leave the sound and a couple of technical hacks left to wrap things up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, would you recommend playing n64 games on a ps3 through retroarch?