Review Review - NEW Super Mario Bros. (NDS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's been a while since a new side scrolling Mario game has appeared. In fact, a lot of the Mario games on the GBA has just been rehashes of the NES/SNES games and even at the DS launch, the Mario game out was essentially just Super Mario 64 with a bit of spit and polish. So, the release of NSMB is a sigh of relief in the fact that it's probably the first new side scrolling Mario game since Super Mario World 2. But will sticking "New" in the title make it more popular than the time Coca Cola released New Coke?

Story

Story isn't exactly the Mario series strong point otherwise it would probably rival that of Final Fantasy but anyways, it's pretty much same old same old. This time Mario has to save the Princess from Bowser Junior... and that's pretty much it. But hey, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Gameplay

This game can best be described as "The Best Of Mario" as it takes a small page out of the old NES games, a little out of the SNES games and a bit out of the N64 game. Mario still has those acrobatic wall jumps and the triple jumps that makes him seem to bounce all over the place. There are also new power ups These come in the form of mushrooms that make you very large or very small and even one where you can wear turtle shell. Although not as exacting as.... say... wearing the Tanuki suit in SMB3 or getting a feather cape for the first time, it does help make the game a little fun. But there is a downside to this game. Saving your progress. There is no menu that you can bring up to save while you're in the middle of the game. You can save either by completing a castle or collecting special coins throughout the games to access huts which will help you save your game. Sometimes this results in playing longer than you intend just so that you can save the game.

Graphics

This is essentially a 2D side scroller.... but the characters are all in great 3D design. The levels are colourful and lush and you'll know that you're playing a Mario game. The enemies are well animated and so is Mario.

Sound

A majority of the tunes in this game are new but there is one remix of a classic tune from a previous Mario game. Although the original tunes aren't exactly an instant hit, but it does seem to grow on you after a while. Mario still doing his YA! WAHOO! quips that we all know and love from the N64 days.

Lasting Replay

This game isn't very long. If you play this game with the intention of just reaching the end without collecting all the coins and unlocking secret worlds and exits then this game is going to be one short experience. However, spend the extra time doing the above and you'll find yourself extending the life of the game for a little longer. There are minigames but it's essentially the same as the games that appeared on Super Mario 64 DS.

Conclusion

It's been a long time coming but a new Mario game that isn't a sports title, remix, rehash etc is a cry for joy. Unfortunately, for the people that are expecting a groundbreaking game like Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World will be disappointed. Don't get me wrong, this is a FUN game but not the second coming that everyone expects.

Score: 8/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    oh man, that always goes great!
    im sure half the responses won't be literal racial slurs or "drop table" jokes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Look, it's China. They know what it's like when you give a poll to half a billion trolls.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much dollar do you think it is?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    ONE MILLION DOLLA
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I know the pricing of electronics nowadays isn't "how much it actually costs" but "how much we can get away with", but putting up a poll is just cynical.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably $150 someone said Anbernic said around the same price as rg556
    you know which game i wish they would rerelease
    sonic unleashed
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make it a happy meal toy
    that game's engine is really fucking intensive so it runs like literal shit on xbox 360 and ps3
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah I'm getting value creep again. I look at a $50 console "but for just a few more dollars you could get XYZ" and I end up considering the Steam Deck.
    +1
    like the lighting in that game was genuinely so good
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not getting dragged into that again.
    i dont get why they didn't port the one game that ran the worst on consoles, to pc
    like you port everything to pc except the one game where it would make the most sense. why. what do you gain from this
    is sega just personally fucking with me? are they laughing while watching me through my kinect camera as i get up to restart my xbox for the third time because the game froze again
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Buy handhelds from five below better quality
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Valve probably going to do another refresh of the deck this fall with rog ally like specs tbh
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    A smaller form factor would be nice too.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A shield portable 2 would be nice aye Nvidia
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The big leap in all things tech is when carbon based chips start hitting.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Longer battery life cooler temps and faster! What's not to like lol (probably expensive as hell)
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Longer battery life cooler temps and faster! What's not to like lol (probably expensive as hell)