Reverse engineering Nintendo Network!

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by ctrninja, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    It's only a matter of time before they find some sort thing to nitpick, but so far this isn't homebrew. This is just network manipulation that so far doesn't circumvent anything. It's not illegal in the slightest.

VinLark likes this.
  2. TherealDarknes

TherealDarknes GBAtemp Fan

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    nintenedo takes down youtube videos and fan games for no reason they would be more than happy to take this down

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  3. DeoNaught

DeoNaught I'm here to steal memes and break dreams

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Constant Fear
    they took down Freeshop,
    Does that count?

not supposed to sound rude

4. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    There's nothing here to take down. When it comes to fan games and videos, though, they go after those because they use copyrighted assets and the videos don't really fall under fair use. It's overly stringent, but they're in every right to do so.

Minnow, Quantumcat, XRaTiX and 2 others like this.
  5. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

pip Developer
    Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    So, you've discovered a nintendo IP and sent 19 bytes to them with no response.
    Achievement unlocked:

6. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 30, 2014
    Antarctica
    FreeShop isn't "regular homebrew," considering what it does.

hobbledehoy899 and DeoNaught like this.
  7. ctrninja
    OP

ctrninja Official GBAtemp cutie

pip Developer
    Jan 12, 2017
    Japan
    United States
    I think I clearly said it needs progress?

DeoNaught likes this.
  8. Tomato Hentai

Oct 30, 2014
    Antarctica
    It isn't really much proof that you can actually RE the Nintendo Network though, so people are bound to be skeptical.

VinLark and DeoNaught like this.
  9. TherealDarknes

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    they may have the right to do it but that doesn't mean they should sega has gained valuable employees a dedicated fan base and a lot of money by supporting fan works rather than destroying them and steam well thats the main reason that company is making billions hell look at how much gmod alone is netting them what nintendo is doing is suicide thats all im saying

10. Daniel41550

Daniel41550 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 21, 2015
    United States
    Now that you speak of it, how do we even know that's Nintendo? That could be Sony or Microsoft!

VinLark, DeoNaught and Tomato Hentai like this.
  11. VinLark

VinLark This Machine Used To Kill Bourgeois Sentimentality

GBAtemp Patron
    VinLark is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 11, 2016
    United States
    A Bygone Era
    Hentai has a point. Pinging that address isn't a hard thing. But what you can do with this knowledge is the important thing.

DeoNaught and Tomato Hentai like this.
  12. TherealDarknes

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    tried and failed to take down freeshop hell they made it stronger with there fancy new website and all that XD

DeoNaught likes this.
  13. Tomato Hentai

Oct 30, 2014
    Antarctica
    They still took down the main repo for freeShop and every existing fork of it on GitHub.

DeoNaught likes this.
  14. TherealDarknes

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    but it came back within an hour if not still being up somewhere else its not much of a success if you ask me

15. Tomato Hentai

Oct 30, 2014
    Antarctica
    People are bound to mirror things like that, it's kinda hard to actually 100% remove something from the internet.

16. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Do a reverse lookup on the IP? This stuff ain't hard. The hard part about this is emulating the server and writing the software to do so. Redirecting requests to a DNS or IP to a locally ran server can be easily manipulated with just the hosts file. Of course some of the funner stuff is gonna require ARP spoofing and other tricks, but yeah.

Nintendo only cares about any sort of possible monetization solely going to them. This is why they go after fan made games that use their assets and videos that aren't used solely for parody or commentary (these are the things covered by free use). Also, you do know that Garry's Mod and VALVe aren't related, right? Gmod has absolutely nothing to do with Steam other than using it as its delivery platform.

Last edited by Joom, Jan 13, 2017
  17. Thau

Thau Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Afaik the first request to nasc.nintendowifi.net is to log you in and get a token. The 3ds is doing this on many parts. But more I have not figured out. (I'm trying to get the data from the friend list)

18. TherealDarknes

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    actually gmod and steam have much to do with each other but the real connection lies between gmod and valve valve saw these people moding half life 2 and instead of stopping there projects they let them go and make things out of them valve then latter asked garry if he could make a version of garrys mod that could be sold on steam he agreed so long as he could improve his original design which turned it into the massively successful game it is today all im saying is because valve worked with there fans great things came to there company and there fans grew (another example is team fortress 2) nintendos policy is just to shit on there fans which doesn't turn out well ever

19. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Alright, first and foremost, I seriously recommend you familiarize yourself with the concept of punctuation and grammar in general. That just makes me think I'm listening to somebody that did a bump of coke. Second, Gmod wasn't the first HL2 mod, or even Source engine mod for that matter. They also HAD PERMISSION FROM VALVE TO MONETIZE IT. Again, Nintendo has every right to go after fan creations that use their assets without permission. Their policies protect their assets, and aren't designed to screw over fans that go through proper channels. And no, I'm not blowing Nintendo. If some independent group released "Half-life 3" you can bet your ass VALVe's legal team would be all over that. Also, VALVe made TF2, so that's a bad example.

Last edited by Joom, Jan 14, 2017
    Tomato Hentai likes this.
  20. MasterLel

MasterLel /x69/x73/x73/x6f/x75

Mar 14, 2015
    France
    France
    Actually you have done pretty much nothing. It's like downloading Ida pro and thinking you can hack everything because you have the right tool. But hey if you know what you're doing, as you say... good luck

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted