Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

jul16ares

Trophies
XP
Country
France
A new version of the ScummvM Core for you to test. You should now be able to load games from .scummvm file and you should be able to add your game from the ScummVM UI when you Start Core :)
https://easyupload.io/yfct6t
Thanks, I tested some games. Efforts appreciated, far from equivalent to officials builds in terms of performance, but nice features added

Reactions: ploggy

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, I tested some games. Efforts appreciated, far from equivalent to officials builds in terms of performance, but nice features added
If threading were added it could solve the performance issue, Kings Quest 7 is still alittle slow for me but with threading added it would run fine.

Reactions: jul16ares

jul16ares

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Threading is hard to implement ? It depend of the processor architecture ? that is not far from wii proc ?
Why aroma RA port could be best for perfs ?
#ignorant

Last edited by jul16ares,

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try deleting you retroarch.cfg then try again.
Same error even tried reinstalling, I give up for now. This is the error from when I originally posted, I believe it’s the same exact one, I just realized why it didn’t post in the first place. I guess no netplay for wiiu.
9AF5FDC2-77F5-4B6A-99DA-1B9240930494.jpeg

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Same error even tried reinstalling, I give up for now. This is the error from when I originally posted, I believe it’s the same exact one, I just realized why it didn’t post in the first place. I guess no netplay for wiiu.View attachment 347783
That error does look like its a new error, when I used to try Netplay I didn't get error screens like that it would just fail to connect to anyone..
Netplay has always been a issue for WiiU.. ONCE I managed to connect to someone else on the Nes Core and play Contra for a bit it was a little stuttery even then, I did have better luck connecting to another WiiU I have in my house on the same network but this was back in 2018:

I also managed to connect WiiU - Switch :P

But really I would put netplay on WiiU out of your mind, I just don't think it has the power to do it properly.

Reactions: fst312

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
It would be neat if the Sega Pico had support too, it’s technically an upgraded Mega Drive so half the work is already done, games mostly run (missing extra sound channels aside) but since you can’t progress without access to the electronic book and touch pad I imagine the Wii U stylus would work great, I’ll gladly test it if someone was interested in it.

@sonictopfan Here's the VMU Core for WiiU... its a little buggy and may crash but its something to play with :)
Sorry for late response, thank you for the core, do I need to install any bios though? Haven’t gotten around testing it yet.

Apologies but I have couple more questions, you mentioned a core for Atari Jaguar, where to find it?

And also this is probably silly but is there a core for the Tiger.Com? I kinda wanna try out Fighters Megamix see if it’s anywhere near as good as the Saturn one.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It would be neat if the Sega Pico had support too, it’s technically an upgraded Mega Drive so half the work is already done, games mostly run (missing extra sound channels aside) but since you can’t progress without access to the electronic book and touch pad I imagine the Wii U stylus would work great, I’ll gladly test it if someone was interested in it.

Sorry for late response, thank you for the core, do I need to install any bios though? Haven’t gotten around testing it yet.

Apologies but I have couple more questions, you mentioned a core for Atari Jaguar, where to find it?

And also this is probably silly but is there a core for the Tiger.Com? I kinda wanna try out Fighters Megamix see if it’s anywhere near as good as the Saturn one.
I'm not 100% but I think the Picodrive Core supports the Sega Pico..

The VMU does use a bios but I don't think you need it for the Core to work.

The Jaguar Core should be in this thread somewhere, I did post I ages ago.. It really is slow tho, unplayable. But if you want it it should be here somewhere.

Tiger.com is supported in Retroarch just not the WiiU port.. Tiger.com is loaded through the later MAME Cores from MAME2015 for us to be able to use the Tiger.com we would need someone to be able to compile the MAME 2015 Core, I tried it myself but it gave alot of errors during compilation and I don't know how to fix it :P
Post automatically merged:

@sonictopfan don't say I didn't warn you lol
Atari Jaguar Core compile :)

https://easyupload.io/9a06wu

Last edited by ploggy,
Reactions: sonictopfan

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've made an animated Gameboy Overlay :)

GB.png

The Dpad and buttons press when you press the button on the controller :D
If you want to try it out just
Extract the zip to the Overlays folder
Load up a game.
Open up the in game menu.
Open On-Screen Overlay.
Open Overlay Preset.
Then navigate to the GB Animated Boarder folder and load the gb1.cfg file.
Then backout back to game :)

I quite proud of it considering it my first try at making an overlay. It was a pain in the ass and took ages but it turned out ok I think.

@ShadowOne333 Do you have the ability to pin threads? could you pin this one.. its been here for years its probably time :P

Attachments

• GB_Animated_Boarder.zip
    132.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by ploggy,

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've made an animated Gameboy Overlay :)

View attachment 348249

The Dpad and buttons press when you press the button on the controller :D
If you want to try it out just
Extract the zip to the Overlays folder
Load up a game.
Open up the in game menu.
Open On-Screen Overlay.
Open Overlay Preset.
Then navigate to the GB Animated Boarder folder and load the gb1.cfg file.
Then backout back to game :)

I quite proud of it considering it my first try at making an overlay. It was a pain in the ass and took ages but it turned out ok I think.

@ShadowOne333 Do you have the ability to pin threads? could you pin this one.. its been here for years its probably time :P
Great work as always @ploggy. Any plans for more overlays for other systems?

Reactions: Lostbhoy and ploggy

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No way! I was coming in to suggest a share your overlays or themes thread.. That looks awesome @ploggy well done man.

I've made a few static ones myself but I use custom screen sizes as I played around with what looked best imo!

I can share if anyone wants to have a play. I'll grab some pics. On the meantime I have been messing around with my theme....

IMG_20221104_204123.jpgIMG_20221105_152536.jpgIMG_20221024_001055.jpgIMG_20221024_001013.jpg

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No way! I was coming in to suggest a share your overlays or themes thread.. That looks awesome @ploggy well done man.

I've made a few static ones myself but I use custom screen sizes as I played around with what looked best imo!

I can share if anyone wants to have a play. I'll grab some pics. On the meantime I have been messing around with my theme....

View attachment 348279View attachment 348280View attachment 348282View attachment 348283
Thank you :)
They look good, you making one for each core? that'll be alot of custom backgrounds :P
Yes, share them. if its Retroarch related throw them up here! :)

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah the wallpapers for my playlists. I have sorta messed around with the icons too but I'll stick what I have together shortly. Actually, i just finished my simpsons arcade one last night and I really love the c64 one i found somewhere and made some slight edits!

It'll be good to see what everyone is using as their theme ir what cool overlays we have missed.

Here's some of my favorites I'm using. Be warned if anyone tries them, they have custom screen sizes to my own liking for gamepad playing. If anyone would like the dimensions to set just ask!

Amiga
Amiga.png

Atari 2600
Atari - 2600.png

C64
Com64plain.png

NES
Nintendo-Nintendo-Entertainment-System.png

SNES
Nintendo-Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System.png

Game Gear
Sega-Game-Gear.png

Master System
Sega-Master-System.png

Mega Drive :ha:
Sega-Mega-Drive.png

The Simpsons Arcade
simpsons.png

TMNT Arcade
tmnt.png

Turtles In Time Arcade
tmnt2.png

@ploggy... Have i done something wrong?? Buttons aren't in position...
IMG_20230120_003432.jpg

Oh and I tried to mock up a quick gbc version...
16741753648001264412444.jpg

Attachments

• overlays.rar
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
Last edited by Lostbhoy,

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Those Overlays are good, only changes I would make is to resize the Amiga name so you can see the full name and the disk drive slot :P

@Lostbhoy oops must have been an old build :P
Try this one..

Attachments

• GB-Animated-Border.zip
    141.9 KB · Views: 19

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Awesome, that's done the trick! Thanks man, this is really cool, excellent work!

I've finished the GBC version if your interested? Didn't want to just post it as you done all the real work here!!

IMG_20230120_140320.jpg

My screenshot doesn't work!

• Love

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Awesome, that's done the trick! Thanks man, this is really cool, excellent work!

I've finished the GBC version if your interested? Didn't want to just post it as you done all the real work here!!

View attachment 348418
No problem at all, edit upload share! :D

Do you mean when you take a screenshot through RA it doesnt show the Overlay? if so yes, that happens with me too.. I had to print screen on pc when loading the overlay through RA :P weird that it doesnt just work through RA tho.

• Love

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No problem at all, edit upload share! :D

Do you mean when you take a screenshot through RA it doesnt show the Overlay? if so yes, that happens with me too.. I had to print screen on pc when loading the overlay through RA :P weird that it doesnt just work through RA tho.
Didn't get anything at all, not even a screen of the game! Oh well, my crappy phone camera will have to suffice lol

I'll add it shortly, interesting how it works. Little question, haven't thoroughly looked at the cfg but how does it know where to place the overlayed buttons? Are there coordinates for the locations of them?

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't get anything at all, not even a screen of the game! Oh well, my crappy phone camera will have to suffice lol

I'll add it shortly, interesting how it works. Little question, haven't thoroughly looked at the cfg but how does it know where to place the overlayed buttons? Are there coordinates for the locations of them?
Yes in the cfg each overlayed .png has coordinates, its an absolute pain in the ass to figure out the exact coordinates.
Each button/dpad direction has to be cut out and made into thier own png, then those are assigned a position with the coordinates in the cfg file :)

I had to load the overlay on RA pc, then edit the cfg (guess the position), restart and check on pc RA until it was in the correct position.
Apparently there's an easier way to acquire the correct coordinates but I'm not planning on making another Overlay anytime soon lol

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes in the cfg each overlayed .png has coordinates, its an absolute pain in the ass to figure out the exact coordinates.
Each button/dpad direction has to be cut out and made into thier own png, then those are assigned a position with the coordinates in the cfg file :)

I had to load the overlay on RA pc, then edit the cfg (guess the position), restart and check on pc RA until it was in the correct position.
Apparently there's an easier way to acquire the correct coordinates but I'm not planning on making another Overlay anytime soon lol
Aw man, I'd do it by trial and error also. Was thinking of applying your one to something like game gear but then I'd have to have to make sure the buttons line up with this one lol I may look into this easier acquisition of co-ords.

Well as promised... hope this is to your high standards :yayu: For anyone else, this is a Gameboy Colour version of @ploggys original great work in this post...

https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-wiiu-wip.447670/post-10051968

gb_animated.png

(Don't hate for the reskin of the OG Gameboy!! It was easier lol)

Attachments

• GBc Animated Boarder.rar
    61.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by Lostbhoy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo