Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'd set it up if I knew how to, I use Haxchi + CFW and I have no idea how to switch over without screwing up :lol:
Its better to hold off at the moment.
Keep Haxchi + CFW, with the boot1 thing being recently discovered, perhaps we might get a bootexploit which doesn't rely on a hacked installed title.

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
I am assuming you hace CBHC installed right?
And you have the standalone RetroArch channel installed.
Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Do you have the Homebrew Launcher installed on the system?

I do not have CBHC installed. I have HaxChi installed due to reasons (younger siblings).
I do have standalone RetroArch channel installed.
I have homebrew launcher installed (channel) with which I run HaxChi with sigpatches/cfw.

He say he can launch GBA and other VC injects normally, he should be able to launch RA channel just fine.
@fatsquirrel do you check if the lock lever is loose in your SD? RA writes configs to SD, so that would worth troubleshooting.

Also, post a pic of you folder structure, are you using .rpx files? using latest nightly?
Give us more details, so we can actually figure out what's happening :P

Indeed, after running HaxChi (homebrew launcher) with cfw, I can normally run VC injects.
I checked the lock lever, it seems OK.
Im using .rpx files, using latest stable version 1.7.0. Should I keep trying with nightlies?
As for the folder structure

I have retroarch main folder on the root, and retroarch folder in sd/wiiu/apps/retroarch/ (inside this one I have rpx files that came with the rar)

Last edited by fatsquirrel,

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Its better to hold off at the moment.
Keep Haxchi + CFW, with the boot1 thing being recently discovered, perhaps we might get a bootexploit which doesn't rely on a hacked installed title.
Thant's true too. I'd switch to that if it were released :) But seeing the boothax thread on like page 7 of the WiiU hacking section doesn't fill me with hope atm :P

Oh man, now the fun part is trying to find that thread XD
https://gbatemp.net/threads/cbhc-v1-6-coldboot-haxchi-cfw.452615/

Last edited by ploggy,

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
So you didn't follow the instructions in the OP, the .rpx files must go in sd:/retroarch/cores
I did.

I mean I have a retroarch.rpx in the sd/wiiu/apps/retroarch folder. Together with meta and icon.
I have the emulators rpx in sd/retroarch/cores as it should be :)

update
I tried wiping everything and installing fresh but this time booting from HBL. It works (or better said IT USED TO). As soon as I downloaded assets from the within RA, I got system memory error. Damn it!

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did.

I mean I have a retroarch.rpx in the sd/wiiu/apps/retroarch folder. Together with meta and icon.

update
I tried wiping everything and installing fresh but this time booting from HBL. It works (or better said IT USED TO). As soon as I downloaded assets from the within RA, I got system memory error. Damn it!
Here is the assets zip. https://buildbot.libretro.com/assets/frontend/assets.zip
Extract it into SD:/Retroarch/media :)

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thant's true too. I'd switch to that if it were released :) But seeing the boothax thread on like page 7 of the WiiU hacking section doesn't fill me with hope atm :P
Same here, I don't have too much hope on boot1hax, but lets wait for hexkyz to see if he releases a proper installer of boot1hax :)

Reactions: ploggy

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I did.

update
Okay let's sort things straight:
  • If you are using the main Retroarch app (and not individual apps per-core), your structure should be:
    SD:/wiiu/apps/retroarch/retroarch.rpx (and its xml and png files)
  • In case of using the main RetroArch app, the individual cores go here:
    SD:/retroarch/cores/(all of the cores in .rpx format)
  • For the assets, decompress the zip into the folder:
    SD:/retroarch/media/
  • Once you enter retroarch, go into Settings and into Directories, then go to the Assets option and change it so that it uses /retroarch/media instead of what it has for default.
That should do it.

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Okay let's sort things straight:
  • If you are using the main Retroarch app (and not individual apps per-core), your structure should be:
    SD:/wiiu/apps/retroarch/retroarch.rpx (and its xml and png files)
  • In case of using the main RetroArch app, the individual cores go here:
    SD:/retroarch/cores/(all of the cores in .rpx format)
  • For the assets, decompress the zip into the folder:
    SD:/retroarch/media/
  • Once you enter retroarch, go into Settings and into Directories, then go to the Assets option and change it so that it uses /retroarch/media instead of what it has for default.
That should do it.
Im sorry I didnt express myself right.

I always used Retroarch channel and I manually placed assets in retroarch/media. Not working, stuck on black screen.
Now that I tried running retroarch from wiiu/apps/retroarch/retroarch.rpx AND updated assets via the retroarch it gave me memory error.
I'm doing everything right structure wise as far as I know.
Im just thinking if its the assets that keep bugging my retroarch?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Im sorry I didnt express myself right.

I always used Retroarch channel and I manually placed assets in retroarch/media. Not working, stuck on black screen.
Now that I tried running retroarch from wiiu/apps/retroarch/retroarch.rpx AND updated assets via the retroarch it gave me memory error.
I'm doing everything right structure wise as far as I know.
Im just thinking if its the assets that keep bugging my retroarch?
You can try by deleting everything inside the /retroarch/media folder, so that the /media/ one has nothing inside.
Then boot up RetroArch.

RetroArch should boot without the assets folder, it should simply boot either a) In rgui mode, or b) everything's a white background, but you can still move around in the menu.
If it STILL refuses to boot, then there's something wrong with the channel you installed and not RetroArch itself.

Just to be sure, try to boot up the RetroArch app from inside the Homebrew Launcher instead, if it boots there but not the RetroArch channel, something's wrong with the channel as well.

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
You can try by deleting everything inside the /retroarch/media folder, so that the /media/ one has nothing inside.
Then boot up RetroArch.

RetroArch should boot without the assets folder, it should simply boot either a) In rgui mode, or b) everything's a white background, but you can still move around in the menu.
If it STILL refuses to boot, then there's something wrong with the channel you installed and not RetroArch itself.

Just to be sure, try to boot up the RetroArch app from inside the Homebrew Launcher instead, if it boots there but not the RetroArch channel, something's wrong with the channel as well.

It did boot into rgui the first time I booted it from HBL just fine. After adding media, boom memory error.
Maybe Im just destined to use it in rgui ? :D
Ill try more tommorow when I have more time ^^

By the way, what channel is recommended? Maybe Im using an old version or something (I use the one in OP)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It did boot into rgui the first time I booted it from HBL just fine. After adding media, boom memory error.
Maybe Im just destined to use it in rgui ? :D
Ill try more tommorow when I have more time ^^

By the way, what channel is recommended? Maybe Im using an old version or something (I use the one in OP)
I find it weird that you are getting the memory error.
Are you using the last 1.7.0 stable releases?
It might an outdated RPX or something which causes the crash.

Either that or perhaps the assets.zip you are getting is wrong or something

As for the channel, I don't know exactly where to get the latest one, but I think @ploggy knows.

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country

As for the channel, I don't know exactly where to get the latest one, but I think @ploggy knows.
Its the only thing thats giving me the memory error.

I used last 1.7.0 stable. Should I use a nightly instead?

I downloaded assets from the OP same goes for channel.
Mind boggling really...

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

@fatsquirrel you got the Memory Error trying to install the assets from inside Retroarch? or by adding it manually? There has only ever been 1 Retroarch Channel (well two, the newer one has better Boot sound/visuals) ;) But here is no code difference between the two :)

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
@fatsquirrel you got the Memory Error trying to install the assets from inside Retroarch? or by adding it manually? There has only ever been 1 Retroarch Channel (well two, the newer one has better Boot sound/visuals) ;) But here is no code difference between the two :)
I got the memory error from installing the assets inside Retroarch yes.

If I have the channel, I ONLY need the retroarch folder on root, correct? Or do I need the rpx set in the root/wiiu/apps too?
Afaik the channel has that rpx imbedded in it ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Herow!