Homebrew RetroArch Switch

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For those using exfat - I too was one of you. Last week I backed up my SD card and switched over to FAT32. It took me like an hour to copy/format/split a couple big files/re-add to SD card. Just go through that process and avoid future headaches. Then you don't have to worry about it anymore.
Samesies. I'd been holding off using Retroarch or much other homebrew in the hope of news about exfat issues being fixed, but I sucked it up and switched to a shitty old disk format from the '90s because I wanted to just get on with using homebrew with no worries.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Hola amigo, What exactly does "threaded video" to increase performance?

Can we expect to increase the overall performance with the next revisions of RA?

Cheers!
Well from the sound of the name I would guess it's multi-threading for video output.. I could be wrong..

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Good start. :) (Being on Fat 32) You dont install the nsp. You just go with the .nro as in older RetroNX installs.

But you actually have to (backup saves and) delete the older files from the RetroNX install, otherwise you'll end up with a black screen on launch. (There are config files in folders that dont match with the newer Retroarch versions > blackscreen)

And all of that is mentioned in the release blog posting. Btw.

I dont think, that you are able to install nsp without using a CFW, which would require you to use RCM mode (a dongle, a jig, ....).

Also - maybe dont install Retroarch as an nsp on 3.0.0, while there is no reason to do so?

Once full speed N64 cores have released - different story. You can then nag folk with "which version should I use, should I update (without burning fuses), should I.." but I am not the guy to ask those questions currently. (Havent updated to use pirated games like most people.)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well from the sound of the name I would guess it's multi-threading for video output.. I could be wrong..
*Snicker* You are not. :)

Last edited by notimp,

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I've been using this program for the past few days without additional problems, and I'm just wondering two things:

1: Is it possible to quickly switch back to handheld mode (joycon) when taking the Switch out of the dock instead of using the pro controller as one does in docked mode? The pro controller maintains singular control over the Switch even in handheld mode, and the fastest way to switch back is to do something like: make a save state, close game, close RetroArch, go to controllers in the home menu and manually disconnect the pro controller, open the homebrew menu and RetroArch again, then finally load the game and the manual save state you made.
2: Why is RetroArch's time consistently exactly 4 hours ahead of my system clock? This can't be just a me thing.

And thanks again to everyone who made this possible; it's great to play retro games on this thing!

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Well I've been using this program for the past few days without additional problems, and I'm just wondering two things:

1: Is it possible to quickly switch back to handheld mode (joycon) when taking the Switch out of the dock instead of using the pro controller as one does in docked mode? The pro controller maintains singular control over the Switch even in handheld mode, and the fastest way to switch back is to do something like: make a save state, close game, close RetroArch, go to controllers in the home menu and manually disconnect the pro controller, open the homebrew menu and RetroArch again, then finally load the game and the manual save state you made.
2: Why is RetroArch's time consistently exactly 4 hours ahead of my system clock? This can't be just a me thing.

And thanks again to everyone who made this possible; it's great to play retro games on this thing!

Did you try putting the joycons in your switch putting the switch in sleep mode and then waking it up?
It should disable the pro controller and make the joycons the main controllers. and it don't take very long.

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try putting the joycons in your switch putting the switch in sleep mode and then waking it up?
It should disable the pro controller and make the joycons the main controllers. and it don't take very long.
Well, that works! It's way faster than what I was doing. Thank you for your suggestion!

Now I just need to figure out why the time is offset incorrectly. Still 4 hours in the future. Could it be a timezone thing?

AndyS2K

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have installed the nsp version of retroarch for switch. All emulator works. I have only a problem with final burn alpha and neo geo games. i put the roms with the bios neogeo.zip. When i start every game the console crash and i have to power off the console after the message on the black screen that tell me to power off the console.
Someone can tell me how to play with neo geo roms?

Last edited by AndyS2K,

abilaunken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I just want to know if psx will be someday full speed, becouse i like to play very much on my switch and its almost there... playing crono cross at 57~60 and its sad that only 3 fps away to be perfect.
Some games are playing better ... yesterday i found a bug where fba stop working when i try loading some content but a crash and restart retroarch 2x times its working again.
The rest its working like all other retroarch, sometimes it crashes when close and open diferent contets and core without restart the aplication but that it.
So sad psx not full hopefull in the future we can get 5 fps gain on the core in handheld mode.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been having issues with minor audio warbling/crackling in virtually all cores to some degree. The fix for the moment is to enable "threaded" audio. Unilke for threaded video, this isn't anywhere in the audio settings, but rather in the driver section, choosing "switch_threaded" as the audio driver. Took me a while to figure this out so just a PSA for anyone with the same problem.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I just want to know if psx will be someday full speed, becouse i like to play very much on my switch and its almost there... playing crono cross at 57~60 and its sad that only 3 fps away to be perfect.
Some games are playing better ... yesterday i found a bug where fba stop working when i try loading some content but a crash and restart retroarch 2x times its working again.
The rest its working like all other retroarch, sometimes it crashes when close and open diferent contets and core without restart the aplication but that it.
So sad psx not full hopefull in the future we can get 5 fps gain on the core in handheld mode.
Must have something wrong with my eyes...

loPaOOW.jpg

aAk6od0.jpg

Threaded Video enabled.
Audio driver: switch_thread
Vsync disabled. (Close content and restart the game just to make sure, that it takes.)
Frame duping enabled.
Bilinear filtering enabled (not that it matters, but game looks bad otherwise)
(PSP PSX bios, but that shouldnt matter for framerate. I had 60fps before I started to use it. Used the normal PSX US bios before.)

On the final version of RetroNX.
(I'm currently running RetroNX and the current Retroarch parallel - its only as difficult as renaming two folders, every time you want to launch one or the other (with the nxshell app))

Before you downgrade, if you really cant get to 60fps with those settings, set the gui driver to rgui, set the video driver to switch (instead of gl). Exit retroarch. Try it again.

Make sure you set the menu driver to rgui - otherwise vide: switch will launch retroarch into a blackscreen (delete config file to solve that).

Also - all those settings were mentioned in here before. I even think right around the time you last asked...

edit: In fights, framerate might drop. If you meant that - *eh*. Still very much playable without the sound becoming too distorted. In the overworld and dungeons, the games runs pretty much at a solid 60fps for me.

Further performance increases probably arent very likely until we get 64 bit dynarec - which might take a while, or never happen.. :)

edit2: You might want to play this game in 16:10 - its assets are actually somewhat made for that... (Similar to when japanese artists used monitor resolutions with different aspect ratios, as on TVs on some other games. I play most PSX games in 3:2, this one in 16:10 - always. (Screenshots taken in 3:2) )

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: m4xw

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Looked at fight sequences as well. Fights are about 90% 60fps as well and only drop to

55 - in the pan starting a fight
and to
57 - whenever there is an (f.e. magic) effect pulled off within the fight - but thats for about 2 seconds, then the game turns to 60 fps again.

Thats also why music for the most part - isn't even destorted in fights. For me. Using the settings described above.

Frame Dupe enabled is usually worse.
Subjectively when I tested it in Breath of Fire 3, it was what fixed the sound stutters on the first pcsxrearmed enabled RetroNX releases. I left it enabled from then on. The difference isnt huge.

I'll try turing it off in a few games from now on. :) Thank you.
Also Bilinear on the switch driver uses HW scaling
Yep = no noticable impact on performance - I could catch. :) And some sort of filtering (be it even the often cursed bilinear kind, is needed for many PSX era games). Those textures simply arent meant to be seen with point filtering accuracy.. ;) Imho.

Last edited by notimp,

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good start. :) (Being on Fat 32) You dont install the nsp. You just go with the .nro as in older RetroNX installs.

But you actually have to (backup saves and) delete the older files from the RetroNX install, otherwise you'll end up with a black screen on launch. (There are config files in folders that dont match with the newer Retroarch versions > blackscreen)

And all of that is mentioned in the release blog posting. Btw.

I dont think, that you are able to install nsp without using a CFW, which would require you to use RCM mode (a dongle, a jig, ....).

Also - maybe dont install Retroarch as an nsp on 3.0.0, while there is no reason to do so?

Once full speed N64 cores have released - different story. You can then nag folk with "which version should I use, should I update (without burning fuses), should I.." but I am not the guy to ask those questions currently. (Havent updated to use pirated games like most people.)

*Snicker* You are not. :)
it works now! Thank you !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro