Homebrew [RetroArch] Nightly builds here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
For me gpsp is working using the newest build but it says game config missing when i load up games and i have it inside of the roms folder. Just wondering if that is normal?

I guess so, I don't see it when I play games in gpSP, but I don't have that file either.

Reactions: cvskid

pdapanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
The game_config.txt works well for me ,however ,it doesn't seem to include all the roms.
What is strange is that Gam boy wars advance 1+2 will only perform 24fps on a new3ds

Last edited by pdapanda,

Stack3r

Shizuo Heiwajima
Trophies
XP
Ok I took a video, hopefully it works to show what I am talking about. Pay attention to the left half of the screen, you'll see what almost looks like vertical screen tearing. Its like the tiles on that side are a half second too late when scrolling. As youll see its not consistent, but it wasn't there at all in the 10/2 build I was on previously.

Yep! Thats it! Except it not only happens on catsfc but others aswell

Ardend

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you have vsync turned on, if it's off. The only way I can get Super Metroid to do that is if vsync is off.

Edit: On a different note, the CIA builds are working again, so grab the 10-21 build.
Vsync is on, and Vsync interval is set to 1. I forgot to mention, but I'm on the 3dsx builds. CIA builds are only for 9.2 and below right?

Ardend

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep! Thats it! Except it not only happens on catsfc but others aswell
Ok good, so its not just me. There must be something going on with either our 3DS systems, or something new in the emu. Are you using the 3dsx builds? What is your system firmware?

xombiexplox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NeoGeo and CPS2 cias crashed on me during initial 3DS booting screen using latest nightly (Oct21) on N3DS 8.1

Sam_SpadeR

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Damn, guys, you are working hard here! Thanks a million! Really!

Catsfc emulator is getting sweet on my O3ds with the last build with cias. This will be working really good in a near future? I really want to play Super Bomberman on my 3ds and I think its almost there.

I sweat I will do an illustrated commission to the one who make this possible.

Thanks again, guys!

the_muteKi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll only be able to run bigger roms. More RAM does not equal more speed. Games that already load will run the same speed.

So the RAM increase isn't enough to get dynarec working for something like gpSP, or it's just still not gonna make any difference since the o3DS is so slow?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So the RAM increase isn't enough to get dynarec working for something like gpSP, or it's just still not gonna make any difference since the o3DS is so slow?

That's not how it works. We can have all the RAM in the world, but if we're not allowed to make changes and also execute code from it, then it's useless. The 3DS OS denies access to changeable executable memory. You either need kernel access or you have to fiddle around with gspwn to put such code in a place where it can be ran.

Reactions: fmkid

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I still have problem with CPS2 and that mvsc rom and I don't know why.

It says:
FBA ROM Index 0 was not found...CRC: 0x824e4a90

Do you have any idea what this means if anything?

Is there any diference if I run it from Ninjhax 2.1 instead of Themehax?
OK, yep, that error is telling you that the ROMset you have (the mvsc.zip) is missing a file that FBA expects to find. I Googled that CRC ("824e4a90") and the ROM that's missing from your ZIP is called "mvce.03a". So you need to find a source for your ROM which includes that file, and then it should work.

Running from ninjhax/themehax should make no difference whatsoever to RetroArch.

Reactions: vladagaja24

irvinscastle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just turned on my n3ds since the first build and none of the games work anymore, same with blarsnes do i need to update emulators?

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I feel it strange,because psp owns less ram,but still is able to load large arcade roms.
It's not impossible to run a game that takes up more space than you can fit in RAM--in fact, that's kind of the point of RAM, you're generally not supposed to load a whole game into RAM, you read it off a cartridge or a disc or whatever else as you need it.

For emulation (particularly of ROM-based platforms as opposed to disc), this is a bit more complicated, because the original console expects to be able to access any data it wants essentially instantly. A quick way to make this happen is just to throw the whole ROM into RAM, so any of it can be accessed at will, but as we see with Neo Geo ROMs, sometimes they're huge and it's just not possible to fit the entire ROM into RAM.

As such, you have to implement a paging system of some kind, which can copy the currently needed parts of the ROM to RAM while the rest sit on some slower medium (an SD card, on the 3DS). Then when the emulator asks for a section of ROM which you don't have in RAM, you have to empty out something else which isn't currently being used from RAM to fit the new section in, and so forth.

The downside to this approach is that it's slower than just reading it from RAM directly, because you're having to copy it into RAM then read it back, all while the emulator is still waiting for the new data to be available to it can continue running. In the worst case scenario, you might have a game which is frequently reading from many different areas of the ROM, so you're constantly emptying out and replacing RAM and your game slows to a crawl because it's only running as fast as it can read data from the SD card.

Regardless, while this approach is certainly possible and works, it hasn't yet been implemented in RetroArch, and isn't something as simple as just saying "read from SD" instead of "read from RAM". It might happen at some point, but it also might not; it's a relatively small number of platforms which are so limited in RAM that they can't fit large game ROMs, and a relatively small number of ROMs which are large enough to need it. While the benefits of this approach are clear, it means somebody putting a lot of effort into a small edge case and working in the fairly boring area of file-reading, which probably isn't fun or rewarding for most hobbyist developers.

tl;dr It's kind of hard to solve this, might not work quite as well as you'd hope, and would only improve things in a few specific scenarios. It's certainly possible that it could be done, but like everything, it takes someone with the time, interest and ability to implement it.

vladagaja24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, yep, that error is telling you that the ROMset you have (the mvsc.zip) is missing a file that FBA expects to find. I Googled that CRC ("824e4a90") and the ROM that's missing from your ZIP is called "mvce.03a". So you need to find a source for your ROM which includes that file, and then it should work.

Running from ninjhax/themehax should make no difference whatsoever to RetroArch.

Thanks a million!

Good to know that rom is the problem and not the core, I'll try to find proper romset then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol