Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks! How do I load a core?
SOLVED: my "Core" directory was set to "None"

When upgrading from 1.3.6 it's recommended to start with a fresh 'retroarch' folder.
It prevents errors like this. A lot of chances were made to the gui and core loading.

Next question. Is it possible to map buttons such as 1,2,3,a,b,c when using the fMSX core on 3DS?

I see an option to set input to RetroKeyboard (rather than RetroPad) but what does that do on 3DS?

Actually it maps the buttons defined below. But there's no custom mapper or on-screen keyboard available next to the preset buttons for the RetroKeyboard.

Last edited by MrHuu,

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm not actually sure what you mean here? What are the preset bottoms of the ReyroKeyboard?

z3vdj4L.png

Some buttons are predefined, like 'spacebar' and 'F2'. However, this is no way near a complete set of characters.

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Pretty happy that retroarch devs are working to port retroarch on Windows 98 and dos.
Awesome news.

I can see you're filled with happiness and joy...

No seriously, please stop posting negative reactions unrelated to the 3DS RetroArch release / support!? threat.

Most of the retroarch team members don't give a flying f*ck about the whole '3DS scene'.
You should be grateful for what Aliaspider and others have done so far for you.

The retroarch team doesn't owe you anything. If you donated, great, but you didn't buy a 3DS version of retroarch.

My apologize for my reaction. This is nothing personal, this is to all whining sh*t-posters here.
If you have something useful or some questions, please share it with us. Otherwise, keep it to your personal blog!

VYRzhLN.png
ledCE6R.png
KB4ki6r.png

In the meantime, i've compiled the Game&Watch core.

Games can be downloaded here:
https://bot.libretro.com/assets/cores/Game and Watch/

Controls:

Start - gives you a nice snes controller picture with the current controls.
Select - ZOOM
..and some others

You may have to remap controls for some games. Most work fine right away.

Runs great on a New3DS.

Have fun, you bunch of ungrateful bastards!

Attachments

• GW_Libretro_CIA.7z
    587.5 KB · Views: 174

angelhp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see you're filled with happiness and joy...

No seriously, please stop posting negative reactions unrelated to the 3DS RetroArch release / support!? threat.

Most of the retroarch team members don't give a flying f*ck about the whole '3DS scene'.
You should be grateful for what Aliaspider and others have done so far for you.

The retroarch team doesn't owe you anything. If you donated, great, but you didn't buy a 3DS version of retroarch.

My apologize for my reaction. This is nothing personal, this is to all whining sh*t-posters here.
If you have something useful or some questions, please share it with us. Otherwise, keep it to your personal blog!

VYRzhLN.png
ledCE6R.png
KB4ki6r.png

In the meantime, i've compiled the Game&Watch core.

Games can be downloaded here:

Controls:

Start - gives you a nice snes controller picture with the current controls.
Select - ZOOM
..and some others

You may have to remap controls for some games. Most work fine right away.

Runs great on a New3DS.

Have fun, you bunch of ungrateful bastards!
Thanks!!!!! =) =)
Please tb dual core too !! jijiji

Last edited by angelhp,

Easton

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi guys !

I have an issue with retroarch to load Neo Geo games. When I use "scan this directory" to scan my neo geo roms, retroarch crash :(

I use Retroarch 1.4.1 on my new 3DS 11.2.0 with A9LH and Luma.

How can I fix that ?

Thank you :)

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
z3vdj4L.png

Some buttons are predefined, like 'spacebar' and 'F2'. However, this is no way near a complete set of characters.

My menu doesn't look like that? and I'm not sure how to get to that sub menu? Sorry I'm kind of a RetroArch newbie.

Hi guys !

I have an issue with retroarch to load Neo Geo games. When I use "scan this directory" to scan my neo geo roms, retroarch crash :(

I use Retroarch 1.4.1 on my new 3DS 11.2.0 with A9LH and Luma.

How can I fix that ?

Thank you :)

Mine crashes scanning any roms. If it's a small directory they the 3DS becomes almost unresponsive. If it's a large directory it hard crashes.

Last edited by matt!,

Excalibur007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I compiled the Vecx (GCE-Vectrex) core.
The games run at full speed so far. *n3ds

I also recompiled the Stella (Atari2600) core.
This has a unique ID which doesn't install over the 'retroarch.cia'

Here's the ProSystem (Atari 7800) core. Full speed. *n3ds

I also compiled some other systems:

Handy (Atari Lynx) ~45 fps*
VirtualJaguar (Atari Jaguar) ~8 fps*
4DO (3DO) ~10 fps*

*n3ds

Oh heck yes! Thank you so much! I've not been watching for a while and just saw these. You've made my day! I've been hoping for Atari 2600 and especially 7800 emulation. You've really gone above and beyond with all these.

Two questions I have about the 7800 core:

* Can it be compiled with the updated color pallete? A gentleman who goes by Trebor at AtariAge has done a lot of work to achieve a near perfectly accurate color pallete which is being used in newer builds of MAME and former MESS. I thought some recent Prosystem builds adopted it as well, but it's definitely not being used in this yet.

* Is this using a prosystem.dat file compiled with the core? If so, can you add more games if I send you the md5's to use? I have a lot of homebrew and have done a lot of hacks that it doesn't load, although the stock ROMs do.

Last edited by Excalibur007,
Reactions: MrHuu

neen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any reason to extract archives? i.e. performance or is it just personal preference? I realize there is an extra step when loading an archived rom.

Also, my 3ds always crashes when I try to scan a directory to make a collection. Is there a known workaround for this?

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Why is Super Mario World lagging on my N3DS XL? Is this normal? I have the VC one and that doesn't lag.

You can use the standalone Snes9x For O3DS, Super Mario World and almost every game works perfectly at fullspeed on N3DS (including Special chip games like Mario RPG or Yoshi's Island).

It's miles better than every Retroarch snes core for 3ds.

Last edited by AtlasFontaine,

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
yvamYtk.png
6T7Wa6q.png
K3jvc1A.png

One of the most noticeable changes made to 1.4.0, is support for the XMB menu.

You can switch between the old 'rgui' and the new 'xmb'
- Settings / Driver / Menu Driver

You can change the 'Menu Color Theme' and the 'Menu Icon Theme' to suit your liking.
- Settings / User Interface / Menu /

Disable / Edit the yellow console messages on the top screen. (they cause a lot of slowdowns booting stuff and causes flickering in some cases)
- Settings / Onscreen Display / Onscreen Notifications / Enable Onscreen Notifications

*restart is required to load changes.

Settings can sometimes be quite confusing, with this many cores and a separate frontend there are lots of different settings. And it's a mess. Let me try to explain what I've learned so far.

You have: the main settings, core specific settings and game specific settings.

Main Settings: Input from 3DS to Frontend
Core Settings: Input from Frontend to Core.

Core / game specific settings are found while a game is loaded
- Main Menu / Quick Menu / Options
- Main Menu / Quick Menu / Controls

Automatic saving and loading Settings..

..this is getting too much for now, let me get back on this, as well as content scanning. I'll try to create a .bat file to generate a custom playlist, for unsupported roms.

If anyone wants to create a custom playlist for a specific platform, add this for every game to: 'SD:/retroarch/cores/playlists/Atari - 7800.lpl'

Code:
sdmc:/retroarch/ROMS/Atari 7800/Asteroids (USA).a78
Asteroids
DETECT
DETECT
00000000|crc
Atari - 7800.lpl
*this is an example for the Atari 7800

Content scanning isn't working optimal right now, but it does work. I haven't had any crashes for the platforms i use.
Did i mention, i recommend to start fresh from 1.4.0 and upwards?

Last edited by MrHuu,
Reactions: matt!

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok, got a working .bat script ready. (sorry non-windows users)

This batch file will take you through the steps necessary to generate a custom playlist.
If for some reason retroarch crashes while scanning or have some romhacks which aren't detected, you can use this batch file to create a list yourself.

ONLY 1 platform at a time! Not all platforms (multi-file games e.g.) are supported yet.

The .bat file can be placed inside the ROM folder you wish to scan, or you can drop the ROM folder (for scanning) on the CMD window when asked to.

The process contains 5 steps:
  • Setting the playlist filename. Necessary for retroarch to detect the correct platform for your playlist.
  • Setting the ROM folder where retroarch can find your ROMS on your 3DS.
  • Setting the ROM folder on your PC to scan for ROMS (the same ROMS you have on your 3DS)
  • Waiting for the .bat file to generate the playlist. (no waiting actually)
  • Copy the generated playlist to your 3DS.
You will be guided though these steps where needed in the script.

I've included a few preset filenames for playlists you can choose from, but you can also type it manually for other platforms. It will work.
For retroarch to detect the playlist, name it like any of the databases found in: SD:/retroarch/database/rdb/

The playlist itself must be placed in: SD:/retroarch/cores/playlists/
If you already have a playlist for your platform, you can merge them together to add the 'unsupported' ROMS.

I hope this helps some to get retroarch setup correctly, just used it myself to add the entire Atari Lynx ROMSET in one go.

RZbeLoD.png
LpMxX9S.png
4WzFGG6.png

Attachments

• Libretro_Playlist_Generator.7z
    1.4 KB · Views: 178
Last edited by MrHuu,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.