Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

CyberTails

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think QuickNES is a good choice for Old 3DS.

alternatively, you could take one of the VC titles and inject your own rom using HANS (there's some more steps to convert it though I think), using Nintendo's own NES emulator.

I did run QuickNES before and it does work with the occasional hiccup. as for VC Injection, I doubt there are arcade games in the VC on 3DS

DragonspiritPT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Even NES emulators (ala FCEU, and that's already a pretty 'fast' emulator as it is for most platforms) struggle on the O3DS. It's just a very, very slow system, that requires a lot of optimisations and accuracy sacrificing to run well.

Strange, (some) GBA runs fine. Perhaps it's because both CPUs are ARM. I have to try NES and SNES emulator.
Crash Bandicoot 2 is running right now at 14fps. :P

Randy Steele

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think QuickNES is a good choice for Old 3DS.

alternatively, you could take one of the VC titles and inject your own rom using HANS (there's some more steps to convert it though I think), using Nintendo's own NES emulator.

please update your Retroarch build.

http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/3ds/
Hmm.. I downloaded the most recent build though but I'll try re downloading it and seeing if it fixes the problem.

CyberTails

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant for NES games, of course. I hear "The Legend of Zelda" VC is a popular target for injection.

Oh okay and besides, QuickNES does the job fine as the only NES games I'd play on the go would either be Mario 3 or My Little Pony: Dr. Discord's Conquest (Mega Man 3 hack)

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even NES emulators (ala FCEU, and that's already a pretty 'fast' emulator as it is for most platforms) struggle on the O3DS. It's just a very, very slow system, that requires a lot of optimisations and accuracy sacrificing to run well.

The 3DS really isn't the issue here. Retroarch is great for quickly getting support for a number of emulators, but it is far from the best way to run them on less powerful systems. On something like an Android phone or a PC, Retroarch's "plug-and-play" core functionality is great, as the system has enough power to make up for the lack of platform-specific optimization. On 3DS (And PSP, etc.), the power isn't there to overcome the generic way that Retroarch is written, and the speed suffers.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The 3DS really isn't the issue here. Retroarch is great for quickly getting support for a number of emulators, but it is far from the best way to run them on less powerful systems. On something like an Android phone or a PC, Retroarch's "plug-and-play" core functionality is great, as the system has enough power to make up for the lack of platform-specific optimization. On 3DS (And PSP, etc.), the power isn't there to overcome the generic way that Retroarch is written, and the speed suffers.

Which is why I said it requires a lot of work to get things working well. Standalone 3DS-specific emulators would still require optimizing and such to work well. The old 3DS is just dog slow, no matter how you look at it, RetroArch or not.

Off-topic edit: I might try to update fMSX's source code to the latest version. RetroArch's fMSX core uses a pretty old version.

Last edited by daxtsu,
Reactions: SLiV3R

DragonspiritPT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, guys, more experimentation...

Pocket SNES is running Bahamut Lagoon at 75fps with 2xscale filter! Amazing. Much better performance than SNES9x(40fps).
Tales of Phantasia has even better performance on Pocket SNES, since it hits 100fps.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ok, guys, more experimentation...

Pocket SNES is running Bahamut Lagoon at 75fps with 2xscale filter! Amazing. Much better performance than SNES9x(40fps).
Tales of Phantasia has even better performance on Pocket SNES, since it hits 100fps.

You should probably note that that's on New 3DS (right?). I'd be very surprised if you got that sort of performance on any game in PocketSNES on O3DS, even with as fast as that core is.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would just like to say that digimon world for the psx tops out at 15 fps with sound enabled on the New 3ds with recommended settings. Used with MY recommended setting, youll get between 17-19 fps if you use hard gpu sync, hard gpu sync frames set to 3, sound enabled, audio sync enabled, audio latency set to 16ms, vsync swap intervals set to 4, vsync enabled, HW bilinear filtering on. it becomes somewhat playable! not perfect, but you can still play it if you have the patience for it.

Reactions: Heran Bago

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there any specific settings you guys would recommend for Tales of Phantasia? It's not unplayable by any means, but it's so damn close to perfect speed that I have the feeling that if I knew the one specific tweak to make that I could get it there. As is, I'm getting about 50 FPS during battle and town areas where the game only has to deal with sprites, 40 FPS on overworld with periodic slowdown (I think it's if I get a lot of ocean on-screen that causes the slowdown), and 10 FPS during battle transitions and any points where the game has to load a voice clip. I usually play it with the Audio Sync disabled, and the in-game settings adjusted to keep voice acting to a minimum. If I can just get that last little bit of speed, I'd say Phantasia could run damn near perfectly on v9.0 N3DS

Ace Koopa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... Do the Retroarch emulators support Action Replay and Game Shark cheat codes? If so, how would one go about using them?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5GPuvgFv1k