Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

elrayo

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Is the PSX emulator doing better now? I saw some videos but they were uploaded six months ago, so, I want to know if there's a upgrade in the emulation perfomance. I want to play Megaman X5 :(

aliaspider

Trophies
XP
Country
Tunisia
thanks to @Steveice10 for pointing me in the right direction, I was able to activate the 800x240 display mode for the top screen.

I have added some experimental display modes that can be selected with the 3D slider :

- 3D-slider OFF: normal mode.

- 3D-slider LOW: 800x240 mode: it looks a bit brighter, and cpu filters will look much better in this mode.

- 3D-slider MID: 400x240 mode: the display itself is still set @800x240, but each other pixel on a line is set to black, this looks similar to the 3D mode, just without the viewing angle limitations.

- 3D-slider MID to HIGH: 3D mode. the content is still in 2D, except for the menu popping up a bit.

http://buildbot.libretro.com/.aliaspider/2016-04-17_RetroArch_3dsx.7z
http://buildbot.libretro.com/.aliaspider/2016-04-17_RetroArch_cia.7z

EDIT: the 800x240 and 400x240 modes don't seem to work on n3DS currently, so this is only for o3DS until I can find out the cause.

Last edited by aliaspider,

Khangaroo

$ORIGINALTITLE
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks to @Steveice10 for pointing me in the right direction, I was able to activate the 800x240 display mode for the top screen.

I have added some experimental display modes that can be selected with the 3D slider :

- 3D-slider LOW: 800x240 mode: it looks a bit brighter, and cpu filters will look much better in this mode.

- 3D-slider MID: 400x240 mode: the display itself is still set @800x240, but each other pixel on a line is set to black, this looks similar to the 3D mode, just without the viewing angle limitations.

- 3D-slider MID to HIGH: 3D mode. the content is still in 2D, except for the menu popping up a bit.

Me right now

Edit: wait i thought it was layer based 3d :(

Last edited by Khangaroo,

lpchaim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, I gather the whole 'resuming after suspending makes everything black' thing has no perspective of being fixed for now? I realise it's probably not that big of a deal for most, but conversely it's the one thing that really bothers me in this otherwise really solid port.

Rockhoundhigh

Man with a mission
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's possible, though. If the SEGA Genesis/MegaDrive 3D emulators by M2 can do layer-based 3D, then why can't homebrew emulators?
That's a definite nope. A pretty heavy amount of rewriting went into M2's Sega 3D Classics. You can actually read about in on Sega's blog but case in point, they weren't easy conversions.

D

Deleted User

The middle one hurts my eyes! Intended? Just kidding, but what is the middle one for in a little more detail?

Fatalanus

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I think that they spread inacurate informations, in those interview. Well at least in some points.
Sure, they have made a great job there. I've bough several of their remasters (and it cost me more that when I've bough the game years ago 2nd hands, ah ah!)
Remember, they said that a genesis emulator was not possible.
Nah, it's fishy imo.
Several emulators accept to separate 4 layers, so I guess that something can be done from this point of view.
After, not all the game had a great separation of all the layers, so it could result in something ugly. I don't really know, it's just what popped in my mind.

D

Deleted User

its does ?? the middle one just displays a pixel grid instead of the usual scanlines (where each pixel is displayed twice).
Weird! I tried it on FZero on my N3ds and was a very wacky image. When I closed my right eye it fine, but when I close my left eye, it has a darker image of the screen. When I have both eyes open, it combines the normal screen into the left eye but a weird dark screen in the right

aliaspider

Trophies
XP
Country
Tunisia
Weird! I tried it on FZero on my N3ds and was a very wacky image. When I closed my right eye it fine, but when I close my left eye, it has a darker image of the screen. When I have both eyes open, it combines the normal screen into the left eye but a weird dark screen in the right
oh so it isn't working correctly for you then, it shouldn't have the parallax layer active in that mode, meaning both eyes should see the same thing.
what firmware/CFW are you using?
does the 800x240 mode work for you ? the one with the slider set to lowest (but still active)

Last edited by aliaspider,
D

Deleted User

oh so it isn't working correctly for you then, it shouldn't have the parallax layer active in that mode, meaning both eyes should see the same thing.
what firmware/CFW are you using?
does the 800x240 mode work for you ? the one with the slider set to lowest (but still active)
The lowest one works, not sure if I could see a difference but I haven't tested it thoroughly. I'm Using 10.7 on N3DSXL with CIA on AuReiNand. The top seems to work too. The mid-high option works too. Once I get home (I just left), I'll try testing it without glasses on although I've never had a 3d problem with them on before

aliaspider

Trophies
XP
Country
Tunisia
The lowest one works, not sure if I could see a difference but I haven't tested it thoroughly. I'm Using 10.7 on N3DSXL with CIA on AuReiNand. The top seems to work too. The mid-high option works too. Once I get home (I just left), I'll try testing it without glasses on although I've never had a 3d problem with them on before

it was clearly not working correctly for you so it is something else, and I was able to reproduce what you described by starting RA with the slider in the MID position, it did work correctly though when I set it to OFF then MID again.

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think that they spread inacurate informations, in those interview. Well at least in some points.
Sure, they have made a great job there. I've bough several of their remasters (and it cost me more that when I've bough the game years ago 2nd hands, ah ah!)
Remember, they said that a genesis emulator was not possible.
Nah, it's fishy imo.
Several emulators accept to separate 4 layers, so I guess that something can be done from this point of view.
After, not all the game had a great separation of all the layers, so it could result in something ugly. I don't really know, it's just what popped in my mind.

Over a period of 3 years and around 20 official Sega remaster projects M2 became masters of the 3DS hardware. They started with simpler games and then as their optimisation knowledge grew they were able to tackle harder and far more complex games. In each case conversion to 3D required drawing and adding additional visual information and writing code that would re-frame the imagery, and with the arcade games a lot of work would have to go into implementing things that didn't previously exist - such as true widescreen and cabinet simulation modes - not to mention more and more actual game content and modes as their prowess grew.

Remember - these games all run at a rock solid 120 fps on O3DS. Even achieving that on an N3DS would be the minimum requirement before any theoretical switch for 3D could be turned on.

3D for game content that isn't designed for it just isn't going to happen a without lots of extra manual, creative and technical work. It's why it's barely been done over the 5+ years of the 3DS's lifespan and why M2 in particular deserve every bit of appreciation they receive.

Last edited by SG6000,
Reactions: Fatalanus

EpicLPer

Your friendly Austrian IT Guy
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
Probably a stupid question but is the PSX core not yet able to decode .ape (aka. soundtracks) from a game? I tried almost all possible variations of ROM filetypes, including converting everything to just one single bin/iso/img + cue, 1 game bin with several music track bins, 1 game bin with .ape files and so on, nothing worked...

Game I tried was Rayman Europe Version.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Probably a stupid question but is the PSX core not yet able to decode .ape (aka. soundtracks) from a game? I tried almost all possible variations of ROM filetypes, including converting everything to just one single bin/iso/img + cue, 1 game bin with several music track bins, 1 game bin with .ape files and so on, nothing worked...

Game I tried was Rayman Europe Version.
i would imagine that the emulator wouldn't support a codec like ape, that's not normal for psx games right?

pdapanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Why do get the max framerate over 200FPS on GPSP automately when FRAME THROTTLE's maximum run speed set to 10X ?
Shouldn't I be supposed to only get this when fast foward is toggled? Now fastward toggle/hold doen't work at all.
Is it the reason why the emulators got weired display on vertical?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Dumpflam, Report it or contact staff.