Homebrew RetroArch - A new multi-system emulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
A question, there is any planned support for Armv6 ? I know most of the emulators wouldnt run at full speed (Psx, Cps2 etc), but i would really like to have most of the old school emualtors in 1 application.

The cutoff point is there for two reasons -

1 - There is a big showstopping bug in Android 4.0.3/4.0.4 where 'unoptimized' ARMv5 binaries in an APK will get used on an ARMV7+ CPU unless you use a 'workaround hack' - and I really don't want to rely on that. I was left scratching my head for over two months why binaries were so slow as they were until I inadvertently was made aware of this major bug - and really, trying to flood bug reports about 'core is really really slow' would be such a minefield to go through knowing that this issue is out there that it's just not worth bothering with.
2 - I would just get swamped with too much bitching from people with underpowered phones (and they really WERE crappy back in those days) that want their favorite core to run at fullspeed - and I can already guarantee you that on an operating system like Android, that would be a very, very, very hard thing to do (if not impossible). Really, these ARMv6 phones are on their way out and the sooner you buy a new one, the sooner you will be doing yourself a favor and getting rid of the bad hangover.

If you're really DESPERATE for ARMv6 RetroArch - you'll have to learn how to checkout git repositories, how to do the manual compiling of RetroArch and make a version yourself. Nothing is stopping anyone from doing this - but I'm just not going to do it officially.

Charco

Trophies
XP
Country
I know this is a little off-topic with this being a Wii thread, but is there a version of RetroArch that runs on an Xperia Play, Android 2.3.4? My friend has one and I'd love to know if he could get RetroArch on his device.

Felipe_9595

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
The cutoff point is there for two reasons -

1 - There is a big showstopping bug in Android 4.0.3/4.0.4 where 'unoptimized' ARMv5 binaries in an APK will get used on an ARMV7+ CPU unless you use a 'workaround hack' - and I really don't want to rely on that. I was left scratching my head for over two months why binaries were so slow as they were until I inadvertently was made aware of this major bug - and really, trying to flood bug reports about 'core is really really slow' would be such a minefield to go through knowing that this issue is out there that it's just not worth bothering with.
2 - I would just get swamped with too much bitching from people with underpowered phones (and they really WERE crappy back in those days) that want their favorite core to run at fullspeed - and I can already guarantee you that on an operating system like Android, that would be a very, very, very hard thing to do (if not impossible). Really, these ARMv6 phones are on their way out and the sooner you buy a new one, the sooner you will be doing yourself a favor and getting rid of the bad hangover.

If you're really DESPERATE for ARMv6 RetroArch - you'll have to learn how to checkout git repositories, how to do the manual compiling of RetroArch and make a version yourself. Nothing is stopping anyone from doing this - but I'm just not going to do it officially.

Ah ok, i understand, i will wait until someone does it then xD (there is always an armv6 version of something out here lol), it was mostly for convenience, i only use my Galaxy mini for playing GBC, Nes and GBA, so it was more a functionality than a necesity :P

strai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks retroarch, i can now play gba games without lag. Is there a way to separate the emulators so i can launch the gba emulator from a channel forwarder?

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I know this is a little off-topic with this being a Wii thread, but is there a version of RetroArch that runs on an Xperia Play, Android 2.3.4? My friend has one and I'd love to know if he could get RetroArch on his device.

The latest version on Google Play (RetroArch Android 0.9.8.1) supports Android 2.3 and up - so yes, it can work.

In case you need the link -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.retroarch

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Managed to fix the display pitch issues people were having with Mednafen PCE Fast. Tested on R-Type (USA) and that looks fine now at least. Will also be in the next release.

Reactions: Hielkenator

Charco

Trophies
XP
Country
Glad to hear the issues that were introduced have been addressed so quickly, less firefighting means more time to implement improvements for the next release.

Do you think support for the larger Neo Geo games might be a possibility in the next release, or will this be a goal for a later release?

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Glad to hear the issues that were introduced have been addressed so quickly, less firefighting means more time to implement improvements for the next release.

Do you think support for the larger Neo Geo games might be a possibility in the next release, or will this be a goal for a later release?

It's a goal for 0.9.9 - the next release will be 0.9.8.1 - so long story short - you will have to wait.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A tiny distortion in a Konami intro sound is not something anybody will lose any sleep over for this upcoming release. For the next version (0.9.9) I will look into it.

Fair enough, I can wait :P

No worries (while it does affect other sound effects in other games, it's something that I'm sure will take a fair amount of time to pinpoint and neutralize).

nintygaming

No Longer An Active Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A tiny distortion in a Konami intro sound is not something anybody will lose any sleep over for this upcoming release. For the next version (0.9.9) I will look into it.

I'd love to see this fixed as well. Also, will TG16 CD-Rom and Japan/Pal Mega Drive games be able to load? And what about the sound issue with Nestopia?

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'd love to see this fixed as well. Also, will TG16 CD-Rom and Japan/Pal Mega Drive games be able to load? And what about the sound issue with Nestopia?

The 'sound issue' was just Nestopia being set to stereo mode - it's now set to mono.

Regarding Japan/PAL Mega Drive games - I have no problems whatsoever - so I honestly don't know what your problem there is.

nintygaming

No Longer An Active Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 'sound issue' was just Nestopia being set to stereo mode - it's now set to mono.

Regarding Japan/PAL Mega Drive games - I have no problems whatsoever - so I honestly don't know what your problem there is.

When I loaded Monster World IV, it gives me a message stating in effect "This game is only designed for Japanese Mega Drive systems" or something like that. In the standalone version of Genesis Plus GX, I'm able to switch console regions. How do I do it with Retroarch?

And the Nestopia thing was more than a stereo issue, it had a higher pitched sound that was kinda tinny and scratchy. Was stereo causing this? (FCEUmm as stated earlier sounds EXACTLY like a real NES.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool: Idk