Hacking ROM Hack Resources for writing game mods

Gunoshozo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hi, I'm trying to find some info on writing mods for NS games, but got no idea on how to work with stuff like reading files from game directory from a code etc. Currently the only source of info is decompiled assembly code of subsdk9 NSO file (most likely built with skyline) from a mod to a game that I'm interested in, but I'm at an early stage and still can't make much of it. I want to try and write similar staff for a similar game (same engine, same series, similar file types, interpreting these is not a problem)

The info is so scattered and scarce on this topic that sometimes I think it's impossible.

Would greatly appreciate if someone will share some resources on this topic. Or smth related to reading NS assembly that makes it easier.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you don't write which game are you talking about, noone will help you. Topic is so vast because each engine (and even each iteration of it) may have completely different approach and people are figuring this out based on many years of experience. That's why writing any tutorial for proprietary engines is a futile task.

Example of unique case is Portal Collection to which I wrote skyline plugin:
https://github.com/masagrator/PortalNXSideLoader

And what you want exactly to achieve?
You are being vague on purpose?

Gunoshozo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
If you don't write which game are you talking about, noone will help you. Topic is so vast because each engine (and even each iteration of it) may have completely different approach and people are figuring this out based on many years of experience. That's why writing any tutorial for proprietary engines is a futile task.

Example of unique case is Portal Collection to which I wrote skyline plugin:
*link*

And what you want exactly to achieve?
You are being vague on purpose?
Thanks for your example (Looked into it and looks like It could be a great source of info).
Yes, I'm being vague on purpose, I'm not looking for knowledge specific to a game, I want to at least find out the basics and build on it.
If you have more examples of subsdk9 mods I would gladly take a look at them.
Again thanks for your answer
Post automatically merged:

@masagrator

I've just noticed that you are the one who ported committee of zero's patch for R;NE for a switch (among other things).
I guess there is no point in being vague now since you might know about this exact case.

A couple of weeks ago, I've ported their R;ND patch for my switch. Fixed switch-related issues with text and tips, but I still haven't thoroughly tested it and haven't posted it anywhere yet.
It's fine as is now, but I also want to port a font.

I think RNE & RND have similar files for fonts: bitmap textures and binary files for the lengths of the char ser (or smth like that).

And simply generating those files and replacing them doesn't work perfectly since font characters have slightly different sizes and look off in the game (cut off or have noticeable gaps).

However, in coz's patch for C;H Noah they actually replaced the font on a Switch, but Noah doesn't have that binary file, only a bitmap. They somehow inject that binary with a skyline plugin; also, the font texture is bigger than the original one, and letters are properly spaced in the game.

So I'm trying to figure out how to make RND (and most likely RNE and CC) use proper width for characters

Last edited by Gunoshozo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...