GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ok this is a list of games I think should be ported to the DS
to start this off
Elder Scrolls Arena, this game has been free for years and can easily play on the ds, could someone do something about this?
Elder Scrolls Daggerfall
Super Metroid
Someone finish the Cave Story port
Strange request, but GTA 1 and 2
Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars
And ActRaiser 1+2

Gryphon93

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm quite sure he is kidding... You know, porting isn't the easiest thing you can do. It's a lot of work, especially when you have to rewrite the whole game since you don't have the source code. Just porting Elder Scrolls: Arena would take a lot of time since it's a lot of things to port and you have to fix all the quest and dialogues and stuff, it would be really much to do. I would also like a port of the game, but someone has to have all the time it takes to port it too. I think it would be a lot easier if a group of people ported it (or some other game) together, since it would be less work for each person to do.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Gryphon93 said:
I'm quite sure he is kidding... You know, porting isn't the easiest thing you can do. It's a lot of work, especially when you have to rewrite the whole game since you don't have the source code. Just porting Elder Scrolls: Arena would take a lot of time since it's a lot of things to port and you have to fix all the quest and dialogues and stuff, it would be really much to do. I would also like a port of the game, but someone has to have all the time it takes to port it too. I think it would be a lot easier if a group of people ported it (or some other game) together, since it would be less work for each person to do.
I knew he was kidding, there is no tone to show sarcasm through text. I am well aware of how hard it is to port anything to the DS. I know it would be easier to get a team to work on it, but as for the group thing it seems there are no active groups for DS homebrews or porting games to the DS anymore.
(sorry for the typos, I do that a lot)

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
xiao32 said:
QUOTE said:
there is no tone to show sarcasm through text.

Of course there is! This is soooo sarcastic .

But yea porting isn't the easiest thing in the world!
Lol, point taken. Hey I am just making a list of games I wish would ported. I doubt anyone is going to though.

.Darky

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I want Super Smash Bros. Brawl and LoZ: Twilight Princess ported to the DS. I don't think it would be too hard to port really.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
.Darky said:
I want Super Smash Bros. Brawl and LoZ: Twilight Princess ported to the DS. I don't think it would be too hard to port really.
Well SSB might be easier to port than Twilight Princess

jeremy506

Some dude.
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
"Porting" isn't the correct word. Remaking is.

You would have to re-write the entire script, deal with glitches. Its basically making a fully fetched game, like Mario Bros.
You would need the backgrounds resized, the 3D models. Everything recoded with the DPAD to the DS DPAD. It would be really hard, 3 years should do it.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Skullcollector said:
"Porting" isn't the correct word. Remaking is.

You would have to re-write the entire script, deal with glitches. Its basically making a fully fetched game, like Mario Bros.
You would need the backgrounds resized, the 3D models. Everything recoded with the DPAD to the DS DPAD. It would be really hard, 3 years should do it.
I know all that, this is just a list of games I would like to see ported, I gave up along time ago on some of them already.
And I shall use a better word than port than, suck as remake or something

jeremy506

Some dude.
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
Correction: Suck "as", ASS?

These games are perfectly feasable to produce, but these days people don't bother with making something like this.

I tried proting a few games once but I found it very complex and thrustrating.

- Skullcollector.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Skullcollector said:
Correction: Suck "as", ASS?

These games are perfectly feasable to produce, but these days people don't bother with making something like this.

I tried proting a few games once but I found it very complex and thrustrating.

- Skullcollector.
Kinda the reason I wanted to see if anyone was wiling to try.

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah. Sorry mate, but people generally don't make games on request. What you need to do is try and find out if there are people who are also interested in the game you want remade and then hope to god they have the required skills and commitment.

Remember though that asking a few semi-interested people on the internet to do the same job as a multi-million (or multi-billion) dollar company containing hundreds of paid and motivated workers who worked on the same project for years is a little bit silly. Now do you understand why people find game-request threads annoying?

But bare in mind that it is possible to port some games for the DS- open-source ones. Open-source software is software for which the code, models, textures and just about everything else is publicly and freely available. Some of the most prolific open-source projects include Firefox and OpenOffice. Some excellent open-source games (such as Battle for Wesnoth, FreeCiv and Secret Maryo Chronicles) are yet to be ported to the DS. These games are the kind of games you can actually ask for ports of.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
fearofshorts said:
Yeah. Sorry mate, but people generally don't make games on request. What you need to do is try and find out if there are people who are also interested in the game you want remade and then hope to god they have the required skills and commitment.

Remember though that asking a few semi-interested people on the internet to do the same job as a multi-million (or multi-billion) dollar company containing hundreds of paid and motivated workers who worked on the same project for years is a little bit silly. Now do you understand why people find game-request threads annoying?

But bare in mind that it is possible to port some games for the DS- open-source ones. Open-source software is software for which the code, models, textures and just about everything else is publicly and freely available. Some of the most prolific open-source projects include Firefox and OpenOffice. Some excellent open-source games (such as Battle for Wesnoth, FreeCiv and Secret Maryo Chronicles) are yet to be ported to the DS. These games are the kind of games you can actually ask for ports of.
I shall keep that in mind

WioWao

Trophies
XP
Country
fearofshorts said:

I think both you and Skullcollector should stfu just a little.

It wont take 3 years to port a game skullcollector. It might would in DS Game Maker
toot.gif

And to fearofshorts. Its better to make the programmers know what people want. Its not annoying to request a game ported. HOWEVER it would be pretty annoying to then port a game and only a few played it. The audience is just too little. Maybe someone comes up with an idea in this thread that a LOT of people would like to see ported and some programmers might consider doing just that.

Besides its probably better to have all the port requests in ONE thread
smile.gif

People should know what they are talking about before they start babbling
rolleyes.gif

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Its better to make the programmers know what people want. Its not annoying to request a game ported.
I think this is about right, I mean what programmer wouldn't like to use their awesome programming knowledge to make something (it would be kind of pointless otherwise to even learn if they never wanted to program anything), but then again, sometimes I guess programmers don't want to as well because of online jerks (thinking back to the attacked threads) and people that just take the fact that programmers are doing this stuff for free for granted (thinking back to that thread with the bloxavoid and helicopter thing).

xD Someone should port over super mario brothers from NES...or was it SNES... (its a joke, I know there is an emulator for that already anyways), but in all seriousness, maybe a port of the MegamanX series? I'm thinking side scrollers are simpler to port (but I know about as much about coding as a rock on the floor). I'm not really sure how many people actually like the MegamanX series, but I do and I'm guessing our GBAtemp Megaman does as well (or maybe he just likes the newer megamans with their battle network, etc.).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end