Hacking Report your experiences with DVD DL on the Wii

0nyx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
enriqueiglesias, you say that laptop burners are the worst but most of the people who got a working backup used a laptop burner...

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
enriqueiglesias, you say that laptop burners are the worst but most of the people who got a working backup used a laptop burner...

Yeap. That is a "general rule". Of course there good and bad things of everything. But as a GENERAL rule ... 50% of all burners older than 2 years suck at DL recording and 50% of all laptop burners older than a year.

That's a BROAD generalization to try help people troubleshoot where their problem may be with a copy of the DVD9 game that doesn't work properly for them.

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Weirdly I burned a DL disc and worked fine on mine but not my friends?

Now that IS strange.

And what I also think is strange is that other people with a PAL Wii with a Wiikey say things about turning the resolution to 50 Hz and turning deflicker off. Well, I'm playing on 50, 60 Hz and 480p with deflicker on, and haven't had a single error whatsoever.

Could be it has something to do with the TV signal???

joeweese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Console: PAL 3.1E
Modchip: Wiikey
Wiikey Firmware: 1.9g
Media used:
1. Verbatim Double Layer DVD+R DL 8x made in Singapore. -> not working ! Error 001 !
2. Fujifilm Double Layer DVD+R DL 2,4x, Media Code RitekD01 -> working !
Burning program: ImgBurn
Burnspeed: 2.4x
Burner: LG GSA-4163B Firmware A106
Method : DVD9 with no modification ,update to 100%.

I got Japanese error screen with green text at the first boot with fujifilm DVD+R DL, then unplugged console, turned it on again and the game booted and works flawlessly !!

I never thought that the fujifilm DVD would work but I think its really true that old media + old burner works good !

Kingc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Correct me if I am wrong, but has anyone successfully burned a 100% working DVD-R DL copy of brawl? Seems to me like everyone reporting that their copy is working 100% has used a DVD+R.

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Correct me if I am wrong, but has anyone successfully burned a 100% working DVD-R DL copy of brawl? Seems to me like everyone reporting that their copy is working 100% has used a DVD+R.

I don't know for sure, but I have heard of people that claimed their dvd-r dl worked fine. But it is true that most people with unsolved problems (but not all) have only tried -R media. So I would recommend you try +r dl media first.

hackeruk

Trophies
XP
Country
Chip: YAOSM 2.0 Final
System: D2A USA Wii
Burner: LG GSA-H55L
Software: IMGBURN 2.3.2.0
ISO: DVD9 RegionFrii'd and Brickblocked
Other: 15% update with DVD5, works great with other DVD5 Brickblocked Disc

Discs 1-3: Memorex DVD+R DL 2.4x
Burned each at 2, 2.4, and 4 respectively. I get a "Disc Not Recognized" error.

Disc 4: Verbatim (Singapore) DVD+R DL 8x
Burned at 4x. Same "Disc Not Recognized" error.

I'm at my wit's end here. Any suggestions? This is getting expensive here. Can anyone with YAOSM 2.0 Final on a D2A Wii confirm that the DVD9 copy works? I'm thinking the modchip just can't do DL on my chipset.

i can comfirm it works as i have a yaosm chipset and it works fine for me try useing clone cd and burn at 1x that what i did

hackeruk

Trophies
XP
Country
can anyone help me i cant seem to get 60hz to work i have turned off deflicker but still no go my screen acts like the wii is shut off when its not

Famoso

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Console: PAL 3.1E
Modchip: Wiikey
Wiikey Firmware: 1.9g
Media used:
Verbatim Double Layer DVD+R DL 2.4X made in India
Burning program: ImgBurn
Burnspeed: 2.4x
Burner: Philips DVD+-RW DVD8631, newest firmware.
Method : DVD5 15% trick, brickblocked DVD9.

Works like a charm!

ImgBurn gave an error stating that finalisation had failed, since all data should be on the disc anyway, I decided to give it a try. Game boots perfectly fast at once, all movies accesible, have been playing single player story mode for an hour or 2 without any weird things happening. Just to be sure, I decided to burn another copy using Nero On this one finalisation succeeded but with this copy the game gives me an unauthorized device error. Since my imgburn-copy works perfectly I'm not gonna try and burn another one, since these DL discs are relatively expensive.

Could the finalisation thing have anything to do with the nero copy not working and the imgburn copy working?

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
It works!

I didn't have to open up my Wii to adjust the laser too!

The reason it wasn't working before was because I was using bad quality Memorex brand (RITEK D01-01)... so I went to Best Buy today and picked up some made in Singapore Verbatim brand and burned Brawl again. And... it works perfectly, no crashes and I'm an hour or two into Subspace Emissary. I also tried Super Metroid in the Masterpieces feature and it works too. I'm so glad I didn't risk my Wii by attempting to adjust the laser or anything crazy like that, it was just the bad quality DVDs that was killing the game.

I actually got a full refund for the bad DVDs so I'm perfectly content.

Media used: Verbatim 8x DVD+R DL (MKM-003-00) Made in Singapore
Burn speed: 4x
Burner used: NEC 3530A w/ Dell 104c firmware
Burner program: IMGBurn latest
Wiikey: 1.9g, regionfree on, 3x
Wii: 3.1, NTSC-U, DMS chipset
15% trick: Used
Booktype: Normal
ISO: Brickblocked, Regionfriied

Another thing that I noticed was that the official NEC firmware (3.01) simply refused to burn to the disc as it was newer than the firmware itself. I grabbed the supposedly crappy Dell 104c firmware and it works fine, it worked simply because the write strategy revision for DVD+R DL discs was slightly newer. My drive was probably on the brink of not being able to write to the disc so I am lucky.

I had previously used the same setup except with Memorex burned at 2.4x, both discs I burned froze at the intro movie. The second disc got a few seconds into the movie and crashed. The swap trick would not work. However the Verbatim burned at 4x is working far better than the Memorex did! Verbatim FTW, trash Memorex!!!
yaynds.gif

Krazplay

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I tried with two Verbatim DVD+R DL made in Singapore, with two different burner, at 4x and 2,4x speed, and the game crashed at the beginning of the intro, with the swap trick the game crashed if it tried to read the second layer.

But when I burned it on a Memorex, it worked perfectly.

Pal Wii with DMS chipset and YAOSM 2.0, the game was burnt with IMGBurn and wasn't brickblocked.

I had to tweak the laser otherwise my Wii wasn't able to read DL DVD (it didn't even spin)

ProdigySim

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried with two Verbatim DVD+R DL made in Singapore, with two different burner, at 4x and 2,4x speed, and the game crashed at the beginning of the intro, with the swap trick the game crashed if it tried to read the second layer.

But when I burned it on a Memorex, it worked perfectly.

Pal Wii with DMS chipset and YAOSM 2.0, the game was burnt with IMGBurn and wasn't brickblocked.

I had to tweak the laser otherwise my Wii wasn't able to read DL DVD (it didn't even spin)
I did the exact same burns, same media. No luck.

Mine spins up the discs, though... I can boot and get white/green screen.

One burn where I just did "Max" speeds I was able to use the single layer functions, but crash on SSE and intro movies.

YAOSM 2.0, D2B, USA.

I'm going to try some other media later/when I feel like spending more money
tongue.gif

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow. Must be different burners/other factors we're using. I did the same thing with successful results, except the Verbatim worked and the Memorex doesn't. I guess what media works is really specific to each Wii system and burner combination.

Julian017

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Mine doesn't work, the intro movie doesn't work so I get a green error screen so I swapped the disk with DVD5 version and then it works.
I can see all the moves but when I try to play SSE I can see the first movie, fight against kirby and then it crashed. After that I tried again and this time i saw Pit's intro and I could fight with Mario, Zelda, Kirby and Peach but the game kept crashing while I was fighting and after the fighting it crashed again so I just stopped to play it
frown.gif

The game even crashed when I played VS mode, I choose character and when it loads to go to the stage selection it crashes.

Media used: Verbatim 2,4x DVD+R DL India
Burn speed: 2,4x
Burner used: Asus...
Burner program: IMGBurn
Wiikey: 1.9g, regionfree on
Wii: 3.1, PAL
ISO: Brickblock, Regionfrii

IMGBurn said it was a succes
Bad burn?

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I've only tried burning one and it worked perfectly. 2.4x on Imgburn. Crap brand I think, Imation (Made in Taiwan) since it was the only thing available in the shop that's walking distance from our place.

EDIT:
Media is Imation DVD+R DL (RITEK D01 001).
Burner is a 2-year old NEC ND-4570A.
Not Brickblocked since I'm on a JP Wii (3.1J+1.9g Wiikey still set at 6x reading speed too afaik).

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Wow. Must be different burners/other factors we're using. I did the same thing with successful results, except the Verbatim worked and the Memorex doesn't. I guess what media works is really specific to each Wii system and burner combination.

Indeed. But most people have a hard time believing it, and they keep trying more and more burns on the same burner and/or media, when all is needed is to try 2-3 different brands on 2 (3 if you are unlucky) different burners until you find a combination that your wii's likes. Then, just stick to it. You'll have a 99% success rate.

The other 1% maybe the case of non-wiikey 1.9g modchipped wii's. Seems most other chips run the wii's reader at a higher 6X speed, making them far more susceptible to errors reading burnt DL media. So even though it works, as yaosm and cyclowiz users have confirmed 100%, they may need more "extreme" measures as to try the really-best-of-the-best-of-the-best media/burner or even tweak up their lasers to get it to work at all. A lot of those users really need to "sweat it out" to obtain a burn their wii's will boot and read without (much) trouble. But many do.

For d2ckey users in particular, seems there could be an additional problem with an as-yet not proven solution, and seems that no matter what they try, perhaps they can just not run the dvd9 release of this game.

Julian017

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Mine doesn't work, the intro movie doesn't work so I get a green error screen so I swapped the disk with DVD5 version and then it works.
I can see all the moves but when I try to play SSE I can see the first movie, fight against kirby and then it crashed. After that I tried again and this time i saw Pit's intro and I could fight with Mario, Zelda, Kirby and Peach but the game kept crashing while I was fighting and after the fighting it crashed again so I just stopped to play it
frown.gif

The game even crashed when I played VS mode, I choose character and when it loads to go to the stage selection it crashes.

Burner used: Asus...

IMGBurn said it was a succes
Bad burn?

Succes!

I burned another DVD+R DL Verbatim on my own burner and it worked, I didn't even had to use the swap trick
bow.gif

Burner used: NEC ND-3520A

Kingc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've currently given up getting a DVD9 to boot by itself. Thing is, swapping method works flawlessly.

The DVD9 on its own gives me the 001 (Verbatim DVD-R DL burn@2x). Using the swapping method I have not had a single DRE, freeze, stuttering movies or anything. I find this very strange. How can it be so flawless yet still not boot?

I've played trough the first 15% of story mode, a couple of classic modes completed, some events, wifi play, vs...strange.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay