Hacking Report your experiences with DVD DL on the Wii

piatzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, i can't make the config disc of the wiikey running...

so i have to burn copies with regionfrii, well... i updated my burner minutes ago, tomorrow i will burn again in other media's and see what happens.
wink2.gif

if the copies still give me the green text error, i wil lplay the dvd5 version until the ntsc version comes out
frown.gif

Sonikku

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Console: Pal Wii 3.1E
Modchip: Wiikey
Wiikey Firmware: 1.9g
Media used: Verbatim Double Layer DVD-R DL 4x Speed (made in Singapore)
Burner used: NEC nd-3550a
Burning program: ImgBurn
Burnspeed: 2.4x
Screen: 60HZ, Deflicker off (I turn deflicker on until I'm done playing, then I turn it off again)
Previous Version of the Image: SSBB DVD5 Version, 100% updated, dual channels.

Results: Error 001 when trying to boot the DVD9 from Wii menu. Disk swap trick seems to work without problems.

To test, I played the classic mode to the end and SSE for a short time(until first save point). Both without any problems.

tomm2cool

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Console: NTSC-U Wii 3.1U
Media Used: Memorex DVD+R DL 8X (Disc ID: RITEK-S04-66)
Burner Used: HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H20L S853 (ATA)
Burning Program: ImgBurn 2.3.2.0
Burnspeed: 4.0x
Previous Version of the Image: SSBB DVD5 Version, 15% updated.

Didn't get to play much, but everything seemed smooth. No green screens or anything yet. No 001 messages. I have not tried playing online since I just got frustrated not being able to read all the options available.
tongue.gif

NOTE: The weird thing that happened was that my Internet Channel got deleted. I was able to download it again & I noticed a few features like showing a zoom percentage when zooming in and out of websites & a few sites were added to my Favorites like a recommended sites link, but I'm not sure if I had the most updated Internet Channel to begin with.

bluebright

Trophies
Website
www.portablespacemuseum.com
XP
Country
Console: PAL Wii 3.1E
Media: TDK Double Layer DVD+R DL 2.4x
Burner: LG something or other
Burning program: Nero 8
Speed: 2.4x

Perfect.

Except I can't run it on my VGA box. Anyone got any ideas? Even with deflicker off at 60hz my monitor wont turn on.

0nyx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Console: US Wii 3.1U
Media used: Fujifilm Double Layer +R 2.4X
Burner used: Toshiba Laptop burner

Results:Everything is working fine,i played SSE for 2hours and no bugs green text or whatever

lampiaio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Chip: WiiD
Memorex DVD+R DL 2.4x
Burned all copies at 2x or 2.4x

Alright I tried this 4 times. Same result all 4 times.

First I did the single layer update 100%. I have dual channels.

Now.. first I burned using k3b (which another user mentioned). My copied burned fine. When I go to play it freezes with a white screen at the intro video. If use the single layer to get past the intro video and swap with the DL I can play everything the single layer allowed (but no DL content).

I have also tried, ImgBurn with the regular iso, same result. Used RegionFrii and burned again with ImgBurn, same result. I used Nero lastly (since WiiD updates say to use Nero, and when I did the last update only the DVD I burned with Nero worked), same result. All freeze at intro video, or work after I do a swap (but still freeze when you get to a video).

So... I am really confused. Hear me out on this...
Why would the intro video (which is clearly on the single layer) work fine? But freeze on the dual layer, when it can read the rest of the information on the first layer just fine? That does not make sense to me, that is why I used RegionFrii thinking there was some kind of check on the video. Guess I was wrong.

If anyone else has a WiiD or knows any other WiiD topics feel free to PM me here.

I am honestly thinking of switching to YAOSM 2.0.
frown.gif

Wii: PAL, set to 60 Hz
Chip: WiiD
Firmware: 03
Media: Maxell DVD+R DL 2.4x

I got the exact same problem :'(

Wii: NTSC-U
Chip WiiD
Firmware: 03
Media: Philips DVD+R 2.4x

Me three. I think it's the WiiD... no DL support, probably.

Edwii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Console: USA NTSC 3.1U
Media used: Verbatim Double Layer DVD-R DL 2.4 (says up to 6x on the box) made in Singapore.
Method : DVD9 with no ,modification , update 15% the powered off. playing, and running with DVD9 with latests DL brick blocker

Problems: i get Green Japanese error screens with green text when after credits of classic mode, and adventure mode , and during the opening movie of the game, IF ANY ONE KNOWS ANY THING I CAN DO PLEASE HELP!

jjkm4a1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I burned a total of 4 copies of this game, and I can gladly say I have a working copy!

DVD5:

First copy I used regionfrii only, to update the wii (did the 15% trick)
Second copy was regionfrii'd and brickblocked. Worked, no problem.

DVD9:

First copy was on Verbatim 2.4x DVD+R DL - Game would load up, but go to the white screen with green text at the start of the intro video.

Second copy is on Memorex DVD+R DL - Game works perfect!

I want to point out that the video of Peach at the beginning of the single player mode is most likely where the second layer of the disc begins, because it skips a tiny bit. After that video, all of the others display smoothly.

EdWii - I was pulling my hair out in frustration when that happened to me. Especially after wasting an expensive Verbatim disc. Radioshack has Memorex DVD+R DLs (3 pack) on sale for $9.99 - The first copy I burned onto this media worked, even after brickblocking and regionfrii'ing the .iso.

SinR

The Terribad Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
for the people that swear that Memorex worked for them, please post the media code from imgburn (like RITEK-S04-66)

im still sticking by my claim that Memorex DL media are balls. 11 coasters (partial burns that stopped, or that wouldnt even start burning), 1 successful SSBB burn, 2 Data DVD burns, and 1 that i cant find (probably a coaster, who knows) out of a spindle of 15. ive had 0 problems with SL media in the past, but this spindle of DL discs just piss me off.

back on topic, looks like im probably gonna have to either (A) adjust my laser's POT, or (B) just wait for my NTSC-U preorder to come in

Edwii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
EdWii - I was pulling my hair out in frustration when that happened to me. Especially after wasting an expensive Verbatim disc. Radioshack has Memorex DVD+R DLs (3 pack) on sale for $9.99 - The first copy I burned onto this media worked, even after brickblocking and regionfrii'ing the .iso.

thats the weird thing, Memorex sucks hairy nuts. i have a 30pack of DL+R i was just using for computer back ups, 1 in 7 would burn, and 50% of completed burns, would be readable, or if i burned a full DL movie using CloneDVD2 and Any DVD and Nero not only would it fail just as much it wont read in my computer, only in some of the video dvd players in my house .

i don't know if this was just a crap batch of disks but im afrid that they will burn out my wii lazer... any thoughts?

Edwii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I've burned two copies of verbatim dvd+ DL, and they work on two consoles, one Pal and one NTSC-u, both have wiikey.
BUUUTT, at the ntsc-u, my friend had at first the green error, then he changed the wiikey's config to speed read x3, and then it works perfectly, maybe that's all
smile.gif

used imageburn x2.4. wiikey 1.9g, pal and ntsc-u - works perfectly.

found the fix, i turned the X6 to x3 speed on my wiikey, joy! it fully works
TAKE THAT MEMOREX, VERBATIM WINS AGAIN
biggrin.gif

EDIT!: i take it mostly back. i got another green error, this time a little more into the story mode
frown.gif

0nyx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
U can get any media to work...Just close ALL programs and don't even move the mouse while burning.Worked for me eith Fujifilm 2.4X +RW...

guymontag

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chip: YAOSM 2.0 Final
System: D2A USA Wii
Burner: LG GSA-H55L
Software: IMGBURN 2.3.2.0
ISO: DVD9 RegionFrii'd and Brickblocked
Other: 15% update with DVD5, works great with other DVD5 Brickblocked Disc

Discs 1-3: Memorex DVD+R DL 2.4x
Burned each at 2, 2.4, and 4 respectively. I get a "Disc Not Recognized" error.

Disc 4: Verbatim (Singapore) DVD+R DL 8x
Burned at 4x. Same "Disc Not Recognized" error.

I'm at my wit's end here. Any suggestions? This is getting expensive here. Can anyone with YAOSM 2.0 Final on a D2A Wii confirm that the DVD9 copy works? I'm thinking the modchip just can't do DL on my chipset.

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
People, don't blame your media exclusively. Please note that when it comes to DL burning, your BURNER is 80% of the equation. Some burners just can not produce good DL burns on 99% of the available media.

Take one of the discs you think has the "best burn" and a blank one of any quality media like you have been trying and go over to a neighbour/friend house. Use his/her burner (hopefully it will be a newish one) and make a copy of your copy there. There are four possible scenarios here:

-if his burner is old (say over 1.5 years) and your media is old, slow speed (rated 2.4x-6x) ... make the copy at 2.4x speed.
-If it's a new burner (less that 1.5 years) and the media is new fast-formulated 8x or above ... burn at 4X speed.
-If the burner is new and the media old -- you have to try 2,4x and 4x.
-If his burner is old and slow and your blank media is new and fast-formulated ... well, it may never work right. Sorry, try to get slower rated media. That media didn't exist when the burner was designed and manufactured and it doesn't know how to handle it properly. You can try updating your burner firmware and see if that helps.

Go back home and, as the law of probablily dictates, be a happy player.

Of course ... you could bump into TWO different bad burners .... BTW: The ones in laptop computers are usually the worse, so you are warned.

And of course, don't forget the basic requirements without which the game will NOT run (safely) on non-japanese wii's:
1) Use the latest firmware revisions for your chip.
2) Your wii must be already updated to 3.1 firmware version.
3) Your chip must have multiregion support enabled or, if not, then you'll have to use regionfrii (or enable the support, whatever you prefer)
4) You MUST accept the update from this game (even if only til 15%

Edwii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Console: USA NTSC 3.1U
Media used: Verbatim Double Layer DVD-R DL 2.4 (says up to 6x on the box) made in Singapore.
Burner: sony aw-q170a
Method :Â DVD9 with no ,modification , update 15% the powered off. playing, and running with DVD9 with latests DL brick blocker

Problems: i get Green Japanese error screens with green text when after credits of classic mode, and adventure mode , and during the opening movie of the game, IF ANY ONE KNOWS ANY THING I CAN DO PLEASE HELP!

update:
i read about swiching the drive speed, wiikey @ x3 was working perfectly for about 2 hours give or take, then i went for dinner and left it on but paused it by pressing the wii home button on the controller, then i came back but just shut it off cuse i need to take care of somethign any ways, NOW it plays as bad if not worse, a few times right after the loading screen when it just start it just goes to a white blank screen and hangs up for about 10 seconds then goes to the green text error, and even got worse then that the wii wouldnt even read the disk in the wii menu. is my laser dieing?

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have an Acer Aspire 5672WLMI laptop.

I did the 15% trick on the DVD5 version.

Yesterday I burned the DVD9 version on a "PLATINUM" DVD+R DL disc on my little laptop burner.

It works flawlessly!!! YAY! I played for 2 hours and have not encountered a single problem.

This game rocks!!!

sizza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you've got lagging movies, and marios down+b attack crashes the game, as well as other random crashes, and your running on 50hz, try changing it to 60. You'll need to disable deflicker first in 50hz, then when you load the game on 60 it will blank screen for a bit and finally load.

This seems to have fixed all problems for me, basically just run in 60hz not 50hz. thanks to ChriZRocKz for the tip.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y