Report: Piracy Isn't Killing Content

Videomanman87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While not on gaming exactly, I think the report applies to all forms of entertainment.

"Contrary to the industry claims, the music industry is not in terminal decline, but still holding ground and showing healthy profits. Revenues from digital sales, subscription services, streaming and live performances compensate for the decline in revenues from the sale of CDs or records...
“Despite the Motion Picture Association of America’s (MPAA) claim that online piracy is devastating the movie industry, Hollywood achieved record-breaking global box office revenues of $35 billion in 2012, a 6% increase over 2011... The music industry may be stagnating, but the drastic decline in revenues warned of by the lobby associations of record labels is not in evidence."

You can read the article here:
http://gizmodo.com/report-piracy-isnt-killing-content-1441055599

and the full paper here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/172985274/LSE-MPP-Policy-Brief-9-Copyright-and-Creation

As I have said before. If you get people reasonable prices they will buy rather than pirate. In general those that pirate weren't going to buy anyway. BUT they do tell friends who often DO buy and hence a publisher will make sales they wouldn't have with the pirate in question. Think of it as free advertising. To bad the publishing companies (or say MPAA or RIAA) don't understand this concept.

Reactions: Sicklyboy and Fyrus

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
One of the reason people pirate is conveniences. For example, in Bluray movie, who wants to sit around 5 to 10 minutes just to watch useless advertisements and warning?

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People pirate a lot out of convenience.
Create better delivery systems and people will use them.

DRM Free movies are impossible to get legally and that's a big reason I pirate.
That's like 90% of what I pirate. The rest is mostly expensive applications and every once in a while a game.

joelv6

Neku
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i see very interesting article lol
I pirate when i need which is rarely because i buy 95% of my stuff lol

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I used to pirate a whole lot more whilst I was younger and couldn't afford paying for content. Nowadays I don't have the same limitation and I try to buy things I enjoy. Piracy for me was mainly just something I engaged in due to a lack of money to spend on such things.

P

pasc

I pirate and buy me things.

Couple of times that I ended up buying a game when I pirated it.
Purely cause I like it.

Yep, I know what you mean.

Most games are bought where I live because ppl could try them out beforehand.
( Don't look for the joke, there is none)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DRM is the main reason for me, especially the ones that require a stable connection (good luck with that in a student apartment complex with a shoddy connection). The only thing now are ROMs. Gasp! Did I just confess? :creep:

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There's not as much that's worth buying in the music industry especially in the US where there's nothing at all worth buying, I only support the artists I really like.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
so pirating isn't to blame than eh.......

url

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i don't pirate anymore even with hack systems. when i was a kid, i use to download gbc roms to try them, then i would buy the games that i like and would delete the roms of all of the games that i downloaded. thats the main reason i got so many awesome gbc games like Dragon Warrior 1, 2 and 3, Dragon warrior monsters 1 and 2, Zelda(Links Awaking was my first zelda game) + alot more.

now a days i buy and rip my games, ds games are a bitch to rip with wifi especially the pokemon games because of the size they are

xBleedingSoulx

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've always tended to pirate movies on a "try before I buy" basis, if I like the film, I'll buy it in the future.
With games, I'll only pirate it if it's something really expensive, even then if it's a good game, I buy it when the price has come down.
Music is kind of different, I don't pay for music, ever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh man don't get the snowflakes worked up