Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It serves no purpose other than to make people spam to get it higher and higher and thus increasing the already immense size of their penis.

Seriously though, my idea is as follows: post count no longer shows on the forums (maybe on one's profile, or just for that specific person, kind of like the warn bar), but you keep the medals. I say keep the medals (or whatever you call them), because some newbies will always have the tendency to only read the advice people with a higher 'status' give, and just hover over that of someone with a low 'status'. It would also be more of a surprise if, all of a sudden, you received a completely new medal, rather than the way it is now, where you simply check your postcount and see "Oh, only 3,500 posts to go until I get my next medal". If wanted, the postcount could still be displayed privately, but I'm pretty damn sure even the postcount whores lovers here wouldn't want that. Unless the private postcount would show exactly how many posts you made in every section (which is, in fact, pretty interesting to know). Now, you can only see the section in which you made the highest amount of posts, and you have to go to the old-style profile to find out, which can be a small hassle at times. And if it tells you you've made a shit ton of posts in the EoF, you really are curious as to where you got those other 5,000 posts from.

Hereby, a voting system would actually work, but in a different way than it most of the times works: every post gets two little icons on the bottom, one if the post was useful in any way, and one if it is thought of as being useless. Then, there could be a small bar (where at this moment, the postcount is situated) with 5 different icons, but only one is shown at a time (an emoticon would fit best, I suppose). The lowest emoticon is for when a user has at least twice as many 'bad votes' as 'good votes', the second lowest is for when a user has more 'bad votes' than 'good votes', but not twice as many, the middle emoticon is for when a user has no votes (yet), or when he/she has the same amount of 'good' and 'bad votes', the higher emoticon is when the user has more 'good' than 'bad', and the highest emoticon is when a user has at least twice as many 'good' as 'bad'. Now, you may be thinking this will encourage people to instantly give someone they don't like 'bad votes' on all of their posts, but to fix this problem, a user needs to give a specific reason why he/she gave the post a 'bad vote', et vice versa. These reasons will then be displayed on the bottom of the post, in a small pop-out box (similar to a spoiler tag) or just a pop-up, so others can read them if they're interested in the remarks of others. If the user is found to give bullshit reasons, he/she will receive a warning, and if he/she continues to do it, he/she gets another (6th) icon, next to one of the other 5 icons or just replacing it, which states that he/she shouldn't be trusted. His/her votes will then also no longer count and the bullshit votes will be removed. No total 'good votes' or 'bad votes' are displayed anywhere, but on a post, the total of 'good' and 'bad votes' for that specific post will be displayed.

You could also incorporate Ask GBAtemp in this, by having it set so that, when a user's answer is picked as the best answer (unless that answer is a reply of the user to his/her own question), it adds one to the 'good votes' count of the user. If need be, there could also be a "What the fuck kind of answer is this?" thing next to every answer, with the same punishment for misusing it.

Trust me, this will work, and it will severely cut down on the spammy posts. And if you don't trust me, you'll never know until you try, no?

As for the other thoughts:

Similar to NeoGAF's rules to signing up, members should be asked to sign up with a 'true' email address, not a free email address like *@yahoo.com, @hotmail.com, etc. This would reduce the amount of duplicate accounts (alright, there aren't many, but still), because it's not that easy to get a new ISP-provided email address compared to spending half a minute to make 20 new Windows Live email addresses. It also prevents people from just making an account to say 'GIMME ROMS PL0X KTHXBAI' and then piss off when they find out there aren't any.

Get rid of the 'likes' on the front page articles. Nearly no one clicks on them and they do nothing but that anyway. Now, it just looks silly. It's a good idea, but doesn't work, because the buttons blend in too well with the background. Make them orange or something if you really want to keep them.

The shoutbox errors. Loads of icons do not show up correctly in one shoutbox, but do in the other one, other special characters just don't show up at all (e.g.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Removing post count: Still silly. There's nothing wrong with it, and the only people fussing are ironically the ones who want it removed because of everyone moaning about it. I actually use it as a reference; my obsessive tendencies wouldn't have it any other way.

As for registration, my primary email addresses are free. I have Hotmail and Gmail, and they're what I use. Without support for them, I may not have been able to register; I haven't gotten around to using another ISP-provided one regularly.

I use the portal likes sometimes, but I admit, barely.

Shoutbox: Agreed. Please, please, please, please, fix it. Or upgrade/replace it.
Please.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You just want to ruin my 14,000 post competition don't you?

mameks

in memoriam of gravitas
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ProtoKun7 said:
As for registration, my primary email addresses are free. I have Hotmail and Gmail, and they're what I use. Without support for them, I may not have been able to register; I haven't gotten around to using another ISP-provided one regularly.This, the only other account I have is my school account, and any e-mails to it from websites usually get sreened.

Shoutbox: Agreed. Please, please, please, please, fix it. Or upgrade/replace it.
Please. Nothing else to say...it's seriously buggy

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
The post count is good left the the way it is but the email idea would fu*k me up considering I don't have an ISP email (My dad has but I don't) so all I use is hotmail, gmail, yahoo...etc.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
I completely disagree with the email thing many poeple use 3G interwebs so no email and people who use open (or hacked) wifi plus if you're going to spam something use a 10 min mail thing or something

postcount, the only people who make a fuss about it are the people who "do not care"

voting system, not worth the hassle

shoutbox errors, YESSSS

Custom titles, the point is?

Stephapanda

Clover's Wife
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gifi4 said:
The post count is good left the the way it is but the email idea would fu*k me up considering I don't have an ISP email (My dad has but I don't) so all I use is hotmail, gmail, yahoo...etc.

I agree with this. I wouldn't have been able to sign up if free emails were disabled, as I don't have one from my ISP.

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
If it isn't broken, don't fix it. I think that everything is fine how it is and doesn't need messing around with since it has been like this for a while and works nicely.
I agree that the shoutbox errors should be fixed.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
gifi4 said:
NeoGaf has a requirement to use an ISP email and that's precisely why I don't sign up with them. I do have an ISP email address but it'd be a hassle to use it just for them. Thus, if GBAtemp adopted such a policy, I can really see it hindering their growth. Just my opinion.

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The ISP mail idea is fail.

Many wouldn't be able to join(like us Filipino's,we don't get those).

The like idea is right though,it's pretty much useless right now.

The removing post count is useless,I don't see much benefit.Custom titles too.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
lolzed said:
Really? No one who lives in the Philippines ever gets an ISP email address?

Something I seemingly forgot to add is that once you're in, you can change your email address to a free one, but to actually sign up, you need an ISP one. Sure, that's going to get complicated if you don't pay attention, but no one says you need to change your email address. And all of you are already here anyway, so I can't see why you even care about something that doesn't interest you in the slightest anyway. And even if you're going to say "Oh, I have an ISP address but I'm not going to use it for them derp derp derp", think about this: how many emails do you receive of GBAtemp on a yearly basis? That's right, none (unless you change your username or something like that, of course, although there's actually no need for these emails because the user probably always asked for the change of name themself).

Oh, and @people saying it is useless to get rid of postcount because you shouldn't fix something that ain't broken: it is broken. Look at yourselves, you seem to care for it enough to still want it to exist. Why do you think images like this ever came into existence? That's also why I thought of the nice replacement for it, voting.

And finally, the custom titles were just a thought. It could look nice and it would honour those that should be honoured.

P.S.: mods, reply pl0x.

EDIT: Oh yeah, LMAO at Hadrian
laugh.gif

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lolzed said:
The ISP mail idea is fail.

The like idea is right though,it's pretty much useless right now.

The removing post count is useless,I don't see much benefit.Custom titles too.
Agreed, ISP emails belong to the ISP billpayer, in a family home it would usually go to the parents, whilst the other occupants would use other email services.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Everyone in my house has an ISP email address (though no one except my Mum actually uses them), I honestly don't know why any of you find that so ridiculously strange. All you have to do is ask your god damn ISP.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Overlord Nadrian said:
Everyone in my house has an ISP email address (though no one except my Mum actually uses them), I honestly don't know why any of you find that so ridiculously strange. All you have to do is ask your god damn ISP.
QUOTE(The Pi @ Nov 13 2010, 10:33 PM) I completely disagree with the email thing many poeple use 3G interwebs so no email and people who use open (or hacked) wifi plus if you're going to spam something use a 10 min mail thing or something
rolleyes.gif

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The Pi said:
rolleyes.gif
wut lol

That's exactly my point, people create a 10 minute email address to get in, ask for ROMs and get out again.

neo duality said:
spam and trolling is part of the spirit of the forum, and aiming for an immaculate status is a delusion of "perfection".True, true.

Posts merged

QUOTE(neo duality @ Nov 14 2010, 01:34 PM)
how about we adopt a merit system instead of postcount?
Merit? Elaborate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans