Hacking Remove/Delete Downloaded System Menu Update

antiaverage

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE Solution that worked for me is in this response:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/remove-delete-downloaded-system-menu-update.373594/#post-5147419

###

Having looked at these threads:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/delete-already-downloaded-3ds-system-update.359062/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/remove-ready-to-start-system-update-at-the-boot.352948/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/deleting-downloaded-but-not-installed-system-updates.353445/

It's still not clear to me if I can remove a downloaded System Menu update. I have a 3DS on System Menu Ver. 3.0.0-6U, but it has downloaded some unknown more recent version to which it is prompting to upgrade.

If I go into my System Settings and tell it to perform an upgrade, it says that it can do so without connecting to the Internet. So there must be a stored update on here somewhere.

I have tried removing all data from my SD, but the System Settings continue to say that it can perform the update. I don't want to format the System Memory, but if this will remove the downloaded update then I will do so. But I want to first confirm that this will remove the downloaded update.

Is there something else to try?

Or do I not need to be worried at all? Can I just use a game with a 4.1-4.5 firmware update and it will use the game's update and not the downloaded version?

My end goal is to update my 3.x 3DS to a 4.1-4.5 3DS. I have a Gateway 3DS in my possession.

Thank you for any help.

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I read somewhere If you format system memory It will still update the system. I maybe wrong. If you plan to use a game to update make sure it isn't connected to wi-fi when you do it, again I can't be sure it won't update via the stored update, so proceed at your own risk, sorry, maybe someone can help more than me.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Boot into Gateway Mode and before you click Classic or Gateway mode, hold the up arrow and then boot into emunand. Once in emunand, MAKE SURE WI-FI IS OFF and launch a game from the 4.1 firmware range.

Saxer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC the update is stored at the NAND, so you cant get rid of it by deleting stuff on the SD card.

You cant update using the GW, because you cant even boot to GW mode.

If you format the 3ds the update will be gone, and you will still be in 3.x. I have no idea what will happen if you update with a gamecard and you arlready had an update downloaded.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
True... what Ruben is saying is correct... how exactly are you still somehow in 3.x? I didn't get my head around that information. You should update using a retail cart of Donkey Kong Country 3D or something.

antiaverage

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True... what Ruben is saying is correct... how exactly are you still somehow in 3.x? I didn't get my head around that information. You should update using a retail cart of Donkey Kong Country 3D or something.

I got this 3DS when it was launched. I have always refused updates in anticipation of the flashcart scene, but didn't stay on top of things.

IIRC the update is stored at the NAND, so you cant get rid of it by deleting stuff on the SD card.

You cant update using the GW, because you cant even boot to GW mode.

If you format the 3ds the update will be gone, and you will still be in 3.x. I have no idea what will happen if you update with a gamecard and you arlready had an update downloaded.

Thank you. So it sounds like formatting is my only choice, and that it will work to get rid of the update. If that is my only choice, then I will do it. Will I be able to at least still use my saves for my cartridge games?

Saxer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you. So it sounds like formatting is my only choice, and that it will work to get rid of the update. If that is my only choice, then I will do it. Will I be able to at least still use my saves for my cartridge games?

Saves of retail games are stored inside the gamecards, so they will not be affected. Unless it is installed in your homemenu (like eshop games). Things you will be probably losing if you format: miis, streetpasses, downloaded content and probably eshop information.

antiaverage

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any reason why I would want 4.1 over 4.5? Was going to use a 4.5 game to install the 4.5 System Menu after formatting.

antiaverage

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good news! The download interruption technique does work :)

As I said in my original post, my System Settings told me I could update without connection to the Internet, meaning I had a stored update. I turned on the WiFi switch, let it connect, then closed the lid. I waited for a solid 10 seconds, then opened the lid and turned off the WiFi switch. The screen stayed black, this may be a sign of success. I had to press and hold the power button to turn the device off since the screen was not turning on. I then rebooted, went into the System Settings, and it now told me I needed to turn on WiFi to proceed. Of course I didn't turn on WiFi :)

I had tried this technique repeatedly before without success, but had waited much closer to 5 seconds. Finally I decided I had nothing to lose with downloading a new firmware update, it wouldn't force install, so just waited a full 10 seconds this time.

I then used New Super Mario Bros 2 to update to System Menu 4.1.0 successfully.

Thank you all for your advice and patience.

###

Games to use to Update (North America)

http://3ds.essh.co/
http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds

Here is a list of games you can use to update your System Menu, sorted by Metacritic rating

Games to update to version 4.1.0-8U
NA Ben 10 Omniverse
NA Bratz - Fashion Boutique
NA Disney Princess - My Fairytale Adventure
NA Hello Kitty Picnic with Sanrio Friends
NA Imagine - Fashion Life
NA Lalaloopsy Carnival of Friends
NA Moshi Monsters Moshlings Theme Park
NA Rise of the Guardians
NA The Trash Pack
NA Wipeout 3
23 Myst
35 Wreck-It Ralph
52 Spy Hunter
59 Rabbids Rumble
59 Skylanders Giants
61 LEGO The Lord of the Rings
62 Angry Birds Trilogy
63 Disney Epic Mickey - The Power of Illusion
66 Finding Nemo - Escape to the Big Blue
67 Adventure Time - Hey Ice King! Whyd You Steal Our Garbage?!
67 Code of Princess
68 FIFA Soccer 13
73 Scribblenauts Unlimited
74 Harvest Moon 3D - A New Beginning
78 New Super Mario Bros 2
88 Zero Escape - Virtues Last Reward

Games to update to version 4.2.0-9U
None

Games to update to version 4.3.0-10U
NA American Mensa Academy
NA Classic Games Overload - Card and Puzzle Edition
NA Hello Kitty Picnic with Sanrio Friends (Rev01)
NA Hotel Transylvania
NA Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 3D
NA Super Black Bass 3D
63 Freakyforms Deluxe - Your Creations, Alive!
75 Paper Mario - Sticker Star
76 Style Savvy - Trendsetters
81 Art Academy - Lessons for Everyone
82 Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
85 Mario Kart 7 (Rev01)

Games to update to version 4.4.0-10U
NA Jewel Master - Cradle of Egypt 2 3D
NA Monster High - Skultimate Roller Maze
NA Petz Beach
NA Petz Countryside
NA Puzzler World 2013
NA Riding Stables 3D: Rivals in the Saddle (Rev01)
NA The Croods: Prehistoric Party!
NA Travel Adventures with Hello Kitty
63 Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
69 Mario Tennis Open
70 Project X Zone
71 Brain Age - Concentration Training
71 Naruto Powerful Shippuden
72 Castlevania Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate
74 Shin Megami Tensei - Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers
79 Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
84 Etrian Odyssey IV - Legends of the Titan
92 Fire Emblem - Awakening

Games to update to version 4.5.0-10U
NA Fast & Furious - Showdown
NA Turbo - Super Stunt Squad
59 Crash City Mayhem
59 Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Gates to Infinity
62 LEGO City Undercover - The Chase Begins
65 LEGO Legends of Chima - Lavals Journey
83 Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
83 Shin Megami Tensei IV
86 Luigis Mansion - Dark Moon
88 Animal Crossing - New Leaf

* It is often confused that Animal Crossing - New Leaf will update you past 4.5.0, but this is false. It did ship with a 3DS XL with a System Menu greater than 4.5.0, but the game itself will only update your system to 4.5.0

###

System Menu Update History

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/231/~/system-menu-update-history

Main changes for version 4.1.0-8U
Update released: May 14, 2012
  • Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.
Main changes for version 4.2.0-9U
Update released: June 26, 2012
  • Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.
Main changes for version 4.3.0-10U
Update released: July 24, 2012
Main changes for version 4.4.0-10U
Update released: September 19, 2012
Main changes for version 4.5.0-10U
Update released: December 4, 2012

Reactions: Saxer

antiaverage

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't aware of that download interruption method; Glad to hear you updated successfuly :) .

I believe it is overwriting the older downloaded System Menu update with the newer System Menu update, but I interrupted the download. So it had deleted the old one, but had not yet downloaded the new one. Hopefully this can help others deal with this odd situation.

Thanks again for your thoughts and help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: