OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
This was already asked, but i don't know if any update is out or solution was found.

I'd want to get rid of the annoying "system update" prompt after "accidentally" downloading 6.3 firmware update while in sleep mode.

1) Can this be done besides system format? Maybe using gateway (for example installing the downloaded update in the emunand)

2) Using System format would i lose my 3ds Bundled game (Fire Emblem) and its saves? (or can i do a backup ?)

Misiel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
i have a doubt, i don't have a Gateway yet, i have the update downloaded trough sleep mode but my 3ds is in 4.4.

i want to play animal crossing but i will need to update to be able to play. if i do the update when the game ask me to, the update applied will be the one in the game or the one in the system that is newer?

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a doubt, i don't have a Gateway yet, i have the update downloaded trough sleep mode but my 3ds is in 4.4.

i want to play animal crossing but i will need to update to be able to play. if i do the update when the game ask me to, the update applied will be the one in the game or the one in the system that is newer?

applying ANY update will update the 3DS Console itself. in your case, doing the game update WILL update to version 5.1 (assuming you have a US/NA region game and console)

Updating to 5.1 WILL result in not being able to work with Gateway.

Misiel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
applying ANY update will update the 3DS Console itself. in your case, doing the game update WILL update to version 5.1 (assuming you have a US/NA region game and console)
ok thank you, i tough animal crossing US had 4.5, so i will try to get a flashcard and use emunand to not loose the exploit.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok thank you, i tough animal crossing US had 4.5, so i will try to get a flashcard and use emunand to not loose the exploit.

use this list to determine which games have what update on them
http://www.eurasia.nu/wiki/index.php/3DS_Games_with_firmware_updates_in_the_4.1_-_4.5_range

make sure to note the regions of each game as for example, Animal Crossing does have 4.5, BUT for the European version of the game only. the US/NA one has 5.1 as i mentioned in my previous post.

Reactions: Maxternal

pedreters2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
use this list to determine which games have what update on them
http://www.eurasia.nu/wiki/index.php/3DS_Games_with_firmware_updates_in_the_4.1_-_4.5_range

make sure to note the regions of each game as for example, Animal Crossing does have 4.5, BUT for the European version of the game only. the US/NA one has 5.1 as i mentioned in my previous post.

Just wanna clarify that Animal Crossing: New Leaf (US) has the 4.5 update (http://3ds.essh.co/ is more reliable IMO), and not the 5.1 as the link seems to suggest. I was afraid of updating but don't worry about it. I think the origin of the confusion is that the bundle 3DS+AC:NL was indeed 5.1, but the game itself has the 4.5 update.

A different issue will be if you have already an update downloaded to your 3DS, in which case I assume the 3DS will just update to the most recent patch.

And again, I tested this a few hours ago: new 3dsxL 4.2, new AC:NL -> 3dsxL 4.5.0-9U after the update.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanna clarify that Animal Crossing: New Leaf (US) has the 4.5 update (http://3ds.essh.co/ is more reliable IMO), and not the 5.1 as the link seems to suggest. I was afraid of updating but don't worry about it. I think the origin of the confusion is that the bundle 3DS+AC:NL was indeed 5.1, but the game itself has the 4.5 update.

A different issue will be if you have already an update downloaded to your 3DS, in which case I assume the 3DS will just update to the most recent patch.

And again, I tested this a few hours ago: new 3dsxL 4.2, new AC:NL -> 3dsxL 4.5.0-9U after the update.

that's good to know. for now on, I will refer to that site vs the eurasia one to avoid posting incorrect info next time.
normally, this would not happen as I would remember what firmware a game has from when I first got it and updated with it, but AC:NL was one of the games I skipped getting.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Mmmm better check the ROM by myself...

Yes, it only has the 4.5 firmware update:

[+] CCI Image Details
Media Type: CARD2
Media Size: 1 GB (8 Gbit)
CCI Data Size: 769 MB (0x301de200 bytes)
Min 3DS Firm: 4.5.0-XU
Save Crypto: 2.2.0-4 KeyY Method
[+] CXI Partition
Product Code: CTR-P-EGDE
Build Type: Release
SDK Version: 4.2.2 Release
Req. Kernel Version: 2.35-0
[*] Completed Successfully

pedreters2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
that's good to know. for now on, I will refer to that site vs the eurasia one to avoid posting incorrect info next time.
normally, this would not happen as I would remember what firmware a game has from when I first got it and updated with it, but AC:NL was one of the games I skipped getting.

I guess for the majority of the games, it SHOULD BE the same update version, unless the different timings in the release across regions changes this. Not sure this is true tho ^^.
Mmmm better check the ROM by myself...

Yes, it only has the 4.5 firmware update:

[+] CCI Image Details
Media Type: CARD2
Media Size: 1 GB (8 Gbit)
CCI Data Size: 769 MB (0x301de200 bytes)
Min 3DS Firm: 4.5.0-XU
Save Crypto: 2.2.0-4 KeyY Method
[+] CXI Partition
Product Code: CTR-P-EGDE
Build Type: Release
SDK Version: 4.2.2 Release
Req. Kernel Version: 2.35-0
[*] Completed Successfully

I mean, I know my game did that ^^. Someone should notify them, or we should stop referencing that link. Many people (like me) will get that game to update to 4.5 (even though it's not necessary) as it's actually pretty good and you might actually prefer to buy it rather than just borrow it.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The ACNL Bundle came with a 5.1.x FW 3DS XL, so it will definately be where confusion has arisen. 4.5 is the maximum forced update from the game, Jap comes with 4.3

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

I wanted to confirm it because a friend told me that she "updated" when she bought Animal Crossing, so her 3DS wouldn't work for homebrew or Gateway anymore; that's why I was a little sceptic over this

sjeps

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
SOLUTION FOUND!! As said in this thread: (By Etkar)

http://gbatemp.net/threads/remove-ready-to-start-system-update-at-the-boot.352948/

you just have to download a new system update while in sleep mode. Just after it starts cut off you wifi switch. The old update will be erased and the new one will not be downloaded.

This method works if you had an old update nagging you (for example 6.2 or 6.3) that should be overwritten with 7.0...
If you already have 7.0 you'll have to wait for the next update to perform the trick... And next time don't leave wifi open while in sleep mode!

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
people said that the update is in the EXTDATA folder of the sd card. is this true?
also, can someone reply to the following post?

http://gbatemp.net/threads/remove-ready-to-start-system-update-at-the-boot.352948/#post-4749494

applying ANY update will update the 3DS Console itself. in your case, doing the game update WILL update to version 4.5.

do you mean that the games install their own firmware even though you already downloaded a newer one? and are you 100% sure of it?

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Seems the wiping of the contents of the "exdata" folder ("000000" folder here) is enough, though it wrap all the things you bought on eshop to gifts again, so you have to unwrap them again, and restore your theme (as it put back the default one).

Davhuit;1727162 said:
Try to swipe the contents inside the "extdata" on your 3DS.

Note that you should only have two directories in the "Nintendo 3DS" of your SD card (one called "Private" and another one with lots of letters/numbers in the name. I had two others like, which seems to be old directories that the 3DS didn't get rid of, probably during the system transfer as this 3DS got two system transfers. I just moved on my computer the two with the lowest date and it still seems okay, as everything still works, even the games bought on eshop.

So, if you have several, once you got rid of them, open the remaining one which will give you a sub-directory with a similar name, open it too.

Now you should have :

- dbs
- extdata
- title

Go to "Extdata" and you should find a directory named "00000000" (I assume the name if the same for everyone, but it might not be the case). What I did first to try, rather than deleting the directory, is to rename it. So I renamed "000000" to "a000000".

When I started again my 3DS, it created new settings :

- Theme back to the default one.
- App/games bought on eshop were wrapped as gifts again.
- NNID infos were still here.

Just unwrapped all the gifts again and put my theme back to the actual one (Halloween Cat one). Eshop games still have their restore points (aka "savestate") so everything seems okay.

What I advice is to try all the things you bought on eshop before deleting the "a000000" (to be able to restore it, if needed) and if everything works fine, then you can delete it.

Seems people says since 7.x, update is on sysand but I doubt about it, as it would mean you could update without a SD Card. Will be able to confirm it or not in a few days.

Anyway, there is still the solution to format the 3DS. Though it require an online connection, it is confirmed that it won't update/ask to update your 3DS. The only downside is that you'll lost what you bought on eshop, as you won't be able to access it without the last firmware to redownload those things.

Intronaut

A star maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Seems the wiping of the contents of the "exdata" folder ("000000" folder here) is enough, though it wrap all the things you bought on eshop to gifts again, so you have to unwrap them again, and restore your theme (as it put back the default one).

Seems people says since 7.x, update is on sysand but I doubt about it, as it would mean you could update without a SD Card. Will be able to confirm it or not in a few days.

Anyway, there is still the solution to format the 3DS. Though it require an online connection, it is confirmed that it won't update/ask to update your 3DS. The only downside is that you'll lost what you bought on eshop, as you won't be able to access it without the last firmware to redownload those things.

It doesn't work.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah, I can confirm it now.

So only way is to format the 3DS, as it don't update it anyway, but of course, you will lose what you bought on eshop.

But it seem to only ask you once a day anyway, so it's not really a big problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back