Relive Nine O.G. Sega Games with the SEGA 3D Classics Collection

f32c2822-f755-49df-ab09-e281df83e97c.jpg

Remember loading up your SEGA Master System or Genesis with the raddest cartridge back in the day and playing for hours? Well, you may not be a kid anymore, but we've got the illest cure for your feelings of nostalgia, because the SEGA 3D Classics Collection will be released physically and digitally in the Americas! Sega will be hooking playas up with nine old school games that have been powered up with fresh new visuals and content by the fly M2 posse - for the Nintendo 3DS system on April 26.

The SEGA 3D Classics Collection, available on the Nintendo eShop and in retail stores contains nine classic SEGA games originally released on SEGA's Master System and Genesis consoles:
  • Power Drift - A high octane sprite-based circuit racer.
  • Puyo Puyo 2 - A head-to-head competitive puzzle game.
  • Maze Walker - A 3D mystery adventure.
  • Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa - A classic psychedelic scrolling shooter.
  • Fantasy Zone II W - Fantasy Zone II W is basically an updated version of the game above.
  • Sonic The Hedgehog - Control the iconic character in the classic fast-paced platformer.
  • Thunder Blade - Helicopters, guns, missiles and explosions. What more do you need?
  • Galaxy Force II - Save the galaxy in this space themed3D shoot 'em up.
  • Altered Beast - A beat 'em up set in ancient Greece.
You may have noticed that some of the games in the collection are already available à la carte only on the Nintendo eShop, and wonder why you need the SEGA 3D Classics Collection. Well, in addition to getting a physical release, the collection includes four games that haven't been released on the 3DS before (two of which never made it out of Japan!), and the total for the nine games clocks in at just $29.99/CA$44.99.

S3DCC_Screen_1_1453337310.jpg S3DCC_Screen_2_1453337312.jpg S3DCC_Screen_3_1453337312.jpg S3DCC_Screen_6_1453337313.jpg S3DCC_Screen_4_1453337313.jpg S3DCC_Screen_5_1453337313.jpg S3DCC_Screen_7_1453337313.jpg S3DCC_Screen_8_1453337314.jpgS3DCC_Screen_17_1453337316.jpg
S3DCC_Screen_9_1453337314.jpg S3DCC_Screen_10_1453337314.jpg S3DCC_Screen_11_1453337314.jpg S3DCC_Screen_12_1453337315.jpg
S3DCC_Screen_13_1453337315.jpg S3DCC_Screen_14_1453337315.jpg S3DCC_Screen_15_1453337315.jpg S3DCC_Screen_16_1453337316.jpg

EntermateStar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I knew I shouldn't have gotten excited when Sega teased a 'new' game.

That's not to say I'm not getting this though, but I was hoping to see something literally 'new'.
i highly doubt this was the game they were talking about >.> besides, you know how many games SEGA publishes every year? you seriously must not be looking very hard for new stuff

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What really sucks was buying every single 3D Classic game in the eShop thinking it was going to stay exclusive there. Now that there are exclusive games (or maybe they'll be sold on eShop later?) that just really leaves a sour taste in my mouth supporting each title at launch.

The woes of early adopting I guess.

I thought the same exact thing reading the list off titles offered in this pack. It's like - well way to screw over the peeps that bought the titles one-by-one... On the up-side, these titles are masterfully re-done for great 3D effects.

Reactions: RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the same exact thing reading the list off titles offered in this pack. It's like - well way to screw over the peeps that bought the titles one-by-one... On the up-side, these titles are masterfully re-done for great 3D effects.
The part I don't understand is why isn't all the 3D Classics on there. I don't have them all memorized but I don't see Sonic 2, Outrun, or Gunstar Heroes. Is there gonna be a part 2 collection game or something? Seems odd to sell a half baked game.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
What a crummy lot of games. They've packaged the worst Sonic game in the trilogy, and a handful of other stuff ranging from meh to great. No Alex Kid? Gunstar Heroes? Comix Zone, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage? They didn't want to try just a little bit harder than repackaging previously released stuff into a physical cart?

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i highly doubt this was the game they were talking about >.> besides, you know how many games SEGA publishes every year? you seriously must not be looking very hard for new stuff

Almost midnight here in America, which is behind both Europe and Japan by several hours. Nothing yet. :) I'm pretty sure this is what the big announcement was. It was even trending on Facebook, so things hyped up pretty quick.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not something I'd be interested in, but it doesn't seem like a bad deal. They look like they've put in a bit of effort to make it conform better to the 3DS (widescreen and whatnot) and it's only $30. For some of the games on there, I think that's still a bit much, but that's just my opinion. Nintendo could definitely take a page from their book. If they released a Zelda or Metroid (all the sprite based games of course, including Satellaview nonsense) collection for $20 to $30, I'd think about it if they were really good ports with good options. Not like the VC nonsense they push.

pikpol

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Anyone noticed the art on the box? I think Ken Sugimori did the art or someone of SEGA copied his art style

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honest to god I couldn't care less about this collection. Genesis games can be played perfectly via emulators on any reasonably powered device. I don't understand why Sega doesn't port their best Saturn titles. Getting the Shining Force Saturn games would be awesome. Playing the original Sonic on about the 20th different collection or port...not so much.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sega never gives us anything new. other then sonic also sonic games are always SHIT!! after sonic adventures 2 sonic was digging him self six feet under inch by inch....

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
What really sucks was buying every single 3D Classic game in the eShop thinking it was going to stay exclusive there. Now that there are exclusive games (or maybe they'll be sold on eShop later?) that just really leaves a sour taste in my mouth supporting each title at launch.

The woes of early adopting I guess.
Hey, you paid for each game separately so you can play them. You got to play them. I think you got what you paid for. Complaining about "cheaper bundles" somewhere down the line sounds like a really bad case of entitlement to me.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, you paid for each game separately so you can play them. You got to play them. I think you got what you paid for. Complaining about "cheaper bundles" somewhere down the line sounds like a really bad case of entitlement to me.
Really? cause from where I'm standing I'm seeing some exclusive games part of this bundle that isnt available on eShop. So I would have to purchase these games again in order to play them.

Did you take a minute to do any research before shoving your unneeded criticism down peoples throats?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!