Hacking [release] Use blocked DS flashcards on 3DS, probably N3DS too.

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Using the same logic, would it be possible to repack and install Nintendo's own 4.5 firmware on the sysnand, but this time with an internal version number of 9999.99 so that Nintendo Zone doesn't try to update it?
Yes but that would right now prevent any Sysnand update forever.

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
yeah probably, i'll give it a try later, but just so your aware, if you do that it would be permanent unless you have a nand mod to downgrade.......but idk you might be able to manually upgrade by using different FW versions with the same Version number.....but you would probably never be able to upgrade using the normal update functions again unless you have the nand mod to restore your original FW

for someone with emunand, would it really matter not being able to update sysnand anymore through normal means?

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Using the same logic, would it be possible to repack and install Nintendo's own 4.5 firmware on the sysnand, but this time with an internal version number of 9999.99 so that Nintendo Zone doesn't try to update it?

sure, but yes, no reason to do that really... i have an emunand backup that cannot be updated past 5.1 because i did the same thing, but there's no use for it.
there is not simply one 'version number'.

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
yeah probably, i'll give it a try later, but just so your aware, if you do that it would be permanent unless you have a nand mod to downgrade.......but idk you might be able to manually upgrade by using different FW versions with the same Version number.....but you would probably never be able to upgrade using the normal update functions again unless you have the nand mod to restore your original FW
I'm not sure if you can reinstall a system title with the same version number (it could be tested by just trying to reinstall a nus CIA of the version you already have (even on emunand). If it only installs titles with a greater version number you would lose all abilities to change/update sysnand system titles, and screw up emunand creation since you won't be able to change/update a cloned sysnand anymore.

Reactions: gamesquest1

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Rather than that, then perhaps an app to run on gateway mode sysnand that removes the downloaded update.

it downloads to nand and through gw we do not have true nand access so i doubt it.
there could be a launcher.dat style program that could do it, i guess, if anyone wanted to put the time/effort it.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I'm not sure if you can reinstall a system title with the same version number (it could be tested by just trying to reinstall a nus CIA of the version you already have (even on emunand). If it only installs titles with a greater version number you would lose all abilities to change/update sysnand system titles, and screw up emunand creation since you won't be able to change/update a cloned sysnand anymore.
yeah you can only install titles with a higher version, so basically this would screw stuff up even updating emunand (although you could use a original 4.x backup and inject it into emunand, which would behave exactly as normal)....but basically if you did this trick and have no nand backups and need to re-setup emunand you would be kinda screwed and couldn't update it.....yeah but anyone who doesnt have at least a couple nand backups before messing about with this kinda stuff, shouldnt be messing with it in the first place

but readyy i dont think there would be a need to do the max version, you could probably just do like version 20....which would leave lots of room for manual updates if you ever really needed to....i doubt nintendo would really start changing their system versions just to pester people with update nags

N00b Smasher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can simply install system components to sysnand like that, then does that mean that after GW adds 9.0-9.2 compatibility, it would be possible to use it to downgrade to 4.5?

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
yeah you can only install titles with a higher version, so basically this would screw stuff up even updating emunand (although you could use a original 4.x backup and inject it into emunand, which would behave exactly as normal)....but basically if you did this trick and have no nand backups and need to re-setup emunand you would be kinda screwed and couldn't update it.....yeah but anyone who doesnt have at least a couple nand backups before messing about with this kinda stuff, shouldnt be messing with it in the first place
I hadn't thought of this. It's quite a valid concern. But then once we're on 9999 emuNAND there is cearp's updateCDN that can install back and forth between old and new versions, right? You could then reinstall a valid version number firmware.

Reactions: Margen67

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
If you can simply install system components to sysnand like that, then does that mean that after GW adds 9.0-9.2 compatibility, it would be possible to use it to downgrade to 4.5?
yeah pretty much, but as we have been discussing it involves spoofing the titles versions, which could make updating again a bit annoying if you needed.......also it wouldnt work for say the n3ds or 2ds as they would almost certainly rely on the newer FW versions so like 6.x would probably be the lowest for the 2DS and 8.1 for the new 3DS

I hadn't thought of this. It's quite a valid concern. But then once we're on 9999 emuNAND there is cearp's updateCDN that can install back and forth between old and new versions, right? You could then reinstall a valid version number firmware.
nope see devmenu will only install titles with a higher revision, so if i install 2.x as rev 63.63.15 ( i assume thats the highest possible) well then i can never install any other version over it as there can't be any higher than that version.........who knows maybe we will get some sort of homebrew devmenu that will happily install lower version, but for now try playing it safe if your doing anything with sysnand

Reactions: Margen67

N00b Smasher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah pretty much, but as we have been discussing it involves spoofing the titles versions, which could make updating again a bit annoying if you needed.......also it wouldnt work for say the n3ds or 2ds as they would almost certainly rely on the newer FW versions so like 6.x would probably be the lowest for the 2DS and 8.1 for the new 3DS
What happens if you try to install it without changing the version number? It will fail?

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
So basically unless you clone your own 4.5 sysnand to emunand before updating you wouldn't be able to update it normally afterwards. I'm fine with that. I have a copy of both.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
So basically unless you clone your own 4.5 sysnand to emunand before updating you wouldn't be able to update it normally afterwards. I'm fine with that. I have a copy of both.
if your just applying mods to emunand, you dont have anything to worry about, you could always just reformat emunand to get back to stock 4.x, if you mod sysnand currently the only way to go back is to restore a backup with the nand mod
Well, then can't you just set the version to a just slightly higher number than you current one, but not high enough that it should prevent future updates?
yeah, thats what i was saying a few posts back, it may just be better to bump the version to higher than nintendo are on by quite a few, but nowhere near the max cap

b17bomber

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I try to load devmenu or bigbluemenu on an sd card without emunand, I get the "An error has occured" message. So I can't even install anything.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
When I try to load devmenu or bigbluemenu on an sd card without emunand, I get the "An error has occured" message. So I can't even install anything.
hmmm tbh i didnt do it that way, i installed it to emunand then wrote the emunand backup to sysnand.....but im sure i seen some people had installed stuff to sysnand via devmenu...:huh:guess that will go on my "to try" list

b17bomber

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmmm tbh i didnt do it that way, i installed it to emunand then wrote the emunand backup to sysnand.....but im sure i seen some people had installed stuff to sysnand via devmenu...:huh:guess that will go on my "to try" list
Oh okay. I was just taking the method to see if it was possible to install devmenu to 4.5 sysnand. Some troll last week said it was possible but I'm thinking not. i tried to the emunand to sysnand cable overwrite, but still couldn't actually launch devmenu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, im making my first gd level