Hacking [release] Use blocked DS flashcards on 3DS, probably N3DS too.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Gateway is not yet able to redirect/patch DS mode as I believe sysnand still handles it despite Gateway's current patches to load emunand. It must be fixed before you see DS mode (and therefor DSi/GBA mode stuff) working on emunand/Gateway mode. And unless someone comes out with CFW that outdoes what Gateway is doing, then you'll just have to wait or bite the bullet and install this to sysnand.

I might consider using this on my new 3DS XL but only after I backup my NAND before I install it. That way I can undo it. I will also create emunand before the patch is installed so as to install future fw updates to emunand without possible issues this patch may cause. Then if I do run into problems. I can just restore my NAND backup. :D

Perhaps a better solution is to instead create a hypervisor of sorts. Sorta like Nintendont/Devolution on a Nintendo Wii that allows booting Gamecube games without actually booting into GameCube mode. Gamecube mode doesn't really exist anymore on the WiiU, thus the reason those two programs were developed. Though I think they also work on Wii's as well and not exclusively a WiiU thing.

I don't see why the same can't be done on the 3DS. But it's going to take some major dev work to get working and perhaps more of the 3DS coding secrets need to be uncovered before we can get to that level where we can launch DS/GBA software without flipping the 3DS into DS/GBA mode. Time will tell if this becomes a reality.

EDIT:

The 3DS might not have the resources to do this perhaps, but I can definitely see this becoming a thing on the New3DS. Because DS mode games don't work once the Gateway exploit is activated, you'll have to boot off sysnand to play DS games. Therefore risk getting update prompts. Of coarse Gateway wants to be in the business of keeping their customers, so they want to avoid this.

Hopefully they won't half ass things and just create something that uninstalled the downloaded update files when you go into gateway mode again. Because that doesn't really solve the root problem of people accidentally updating the console because those accidents would occur before they can boot the exploit again. So the best thing they could do is either fix DS mode while the gateway exploit is active, or create a hypervisor similar to Nintendont/Devolution where the 3DS doesn't need DS mode anymore. ;)

The main issue is programming. Function calls, memory addresses and all that techno-mombo are not the same when in 3DS mode thus why DS software can't boot natively while in 3DS mode. Nintendo created DS mode to handle this. I'm pretty sure it's the Arm9 that handles DS mode stuff. So code on the Arm9 side of things needs working on to get DS mode working on Gateway.

Otherwise they or another group of coders will need to create something that does DS mode without relying on Arm9 setting it up for them. They'll have to create something that can recreate the coding environment DS games expect and that's not going to be easy. :P

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
How much of the Arm9 is accessible while in 3DS mode? If not much interaction occurs beyond the normal encryption checks, then one way to fix DS mode is to create a exploit designed to run while already in Gateway/CFW mode. Create a custom launcher that boots a DS game with ARM9. One would still have to communicate with Arm11 though to setup the resources (like ram space and what not) to do this, but could be do-able if enough effort was put into it. It would just be one of those things that has to be launched via a launcher.dat file as DS is all ARM9 stuff.

Gateway might do this instead and just create a menu for it in their "Gateway menu". (all of which is mostly ARM9 code already) I would assume they can just disable the system update checks, and then setup their little custom DS ARM9 environment with the help of Arm11 and boom, DS mode stuff that might not even need a DS flashcart. Just put the roms on the main gateway cart.

It would be pretty kick ass if they did it this way, even more so with the N3DS. :D

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
backup sysnand, install to sysnand, if you notice any issues or whatever that you believe are down to this patch, restore sysnand and its all gone.....unless DS mode gets fixed in emunand, thats the best your going to get

but he said he is on 4.x sysnand anyway so the blue card should work....the Ds mode not working in emunand is a whole other story

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Actually it's Normatt IIRC.
He got a gba ambassador inject working.

Well that's double the chances of not seeing the light of day...because you know...piracy. At least that's what they all say. But that's a dead horse we rather not beat in this thread. :P

Reactions: Margen67

Wowfunhappy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I tried to install this but still cannot boot my Gateway Blue Card? Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm on 9.2, and am not using EmuNand at all because I don't intend to keep using cia's after this.

1) Put DevMenu.3ds onto my Gateway's MicroSD, and flashcardtimewarp.cia onto my normal large SD card.
2) Load the web exploit on my 3DS and boot into Gateway mode
3) Load DevMenu from my Gateway
4) Install the flashcardtimewarp.cia via DevMenu
5) Reboot out of gateway mode.

This is... what I'm supposed to be doing, right? Any idea why I'm still getting a black screen when I try to load the blue card? I should note that the blue card works fine on a second 3DS I have that's on firmware 4.5. (I can't really play games on this one because the A button is broken)

shadowofdarkness

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, I tried to install this but still cannot boot my Gateway Blue Card? Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm on 9.2, and am not using EmuNand at all because I don't intend to keep using cia's after this.

1) Put DevMenu.3ds onto my Gateway's MicroSD, and flashcardtimewarp.cia onto my normal large SD card.
2) Load the web exploit on my 3DS and boot into Gateway mode
3) Load DevMenu from my Gateway
4) Install the flashcardtimewarp.cia via DevMenu
5) Reboot out of gateway mode.

This is... what I'm supposed to be doing, right? Any idea why I'm still getting a black screen when I try to load the blue card? I should note that the blue card works fine on a second 3DS I have that's on firmware 4.5. (I can't really play games on this one because the A button is broken)

I did the same instructions and got a black screen the first try with the blue cart. After powering off then restarting, it worked after that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Superbad is another great one, lots have never seen. McLovin is the man.