Homebrew [Release] TinyVNC (VNC viewer for Nintendo 3DS)

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's work on Old 3DS ?

I was thinking of using this to play some Steam games on my 3DS.

[EDIT]

Works perfectly on the Old 3DS. I'm really impressed, it worked on the first try, the 3DS commands for the PC are extremely fast, I didn't notice practically any delay, but the video is very slow... I tried it at 800x600, I didn't use a Virtual Machine but I will try later using lower resolutions.

7oqz7p2.png

VNC transmitter homebrew for switch wen?
I would love a version of that for the Wii U.

Last edited by Moon164,
Reactions: Badda

IGHOR

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
t.me
XP
Country
United States
Works great on N3DSXL
Suggesting features:
Auto reconnect on connection drop, and turn off/turn black the bottom screen option.

Reactions: Badda

Badda

me too
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Tokelau
New version 1.0 is available - I decided to go straight to stable :P
Changes towards v0.9 are:
  • added CIA/3DS version
  • added streaming audio support (mp3 via HTTP)
  • added on-screen keyboard
  • configurable scaling (on/off)
  • key value to toggle bottom backlight (8)
Some remarks:
  • The streaming audio needs a separate server on the VNC server machine. This can be easily setup using VLC media player (https://www.videolan.org/vlc/). I will write a small tutorial on the OP how to set this up.
  • There are some additional function key values that can be mapped to in /3ds/TinyVNC/keymap:
    1 = toggle keyboard
    2 = disconnect
    3-7 = mouse button 1-5 (1=left, 2=middle, 3=right, 4=wheelup, 5=wheeldown)
    8 = toggle scaling
    9 = toggle bottom screen backlight
    Some of these functions are not mapped per default, so if you want them, you need to edit the above file.
https://github.com/badda71/TinyVNC/releases

Have fun! :yay3ds:

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
New version 1.0 is available - I decided to go straight to stable :P
Changes towards v0.9 are:
  • added CIA/3DS version
  • added streaming audio support (mp3 via HTTP)
  • added on-screen keyboard
  • configurable scaling (on/off)
  • key value to toggle bottom backlight (8)
Some remarks:
  • The streaming audio needs a separate server on the VNC server machine. This can be easily setup using VLC media player (https://www.videolan.org/vlc/). I will write a small tutorial on the OP how to set this up.
  • There are some additional function key values that can be mapped to in /3ds/TinyVNC/keymap:
    1 = toggle keyboard
    2 = disconnect
    3-7 = mouse button 1-5 (1=left, 2=middle, 3=right, 4=wheelup, 5=wheeldown)
    8 = toggle scaling
    9 = toggle bottom screen backlight
    Some of these functions are not mapped per default, so if you want them, you need to edit the above file.
https://github.com/badda71/TinyVNC/releases

Have fun! :yay3ds:
I think my 3DS crashed on the screen '' Saving default keymap in / 3ds / TinyVNC / keymap''

[EDIT]
Nop, it just took a long time to go. Apparently it no longer works at 720p resolution, but 1024x768 went without problems.
UFIu25Z.png

jzaZowp.png

~ Old 3DS.

Last edited by Moon164,
Reactions: MarioKartFan

Badda

me too
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Tokelau
Works great! Keyboard looks awesome!
Is there a way to hide logs?
Well, if you show the keyboard, then the log is halfway hidden. And if you map a button to value 9, you can turn the bottom screen backlight off when pressing this button, meaning the bottom screen is black. Apart from this, there is no possibility as of now.
Nop, it just took a long time to go. Apparently it no longer works at 720p resolution, but 1024x768 went without problems.
720p resolution is actually 1280×720px - which is too large for TinyVNC (>1024px). Even the previous version did not support this.

Reactions: Moon164 and Zense

IGHOR

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
t.me
XP
Country
United States
Well, if you show the keyboard, then the log is halfway hidden. And if you map a button to value 9, you can turn the bottom screen backlight off when pressing this button, meaning the bottom screen is black. Apart from this, there is no possibility as of now.

Great! It is working ,thanks.

I'm trying to get a pixel perfect picture at the original resolution 400x240, so I set the same resolution on the Raspberry Pi (and vnc server of course), but the screen of TinyVNC is still blurry, how can I fix it?

Badda

me too
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Tokelau
I'm trying to get a pixel perfect picture at the original resolution 400x240, so I set the same resolution on the Raspberry Pi (and vnc server of course), but the screen of TinyVNC is still blurry, how can I fix it?
I cannot reproduce the issue. Can you post a screenshot of both your 3DS screens and the RPi screen?

Edit: One side note: The server screen is transmitted to TinyVNC using JPEG compression which is a lossy image format. This means, the VNC screen will never be a 1:1 copy of the server screen - it will always have very slight differences. Maybe this is what you are referring to?

Last edited by Badda,
Reactions: Zense

IGHOR

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
t.me
XP
Country
United States
Here is screenshot of the top screen, uncompressed.
The Raspberry Pi resolution set to 400x240 via command:
DISPLAY=:0 fbset -depth 16 -xres 400 -vxres 400 -yres 240 -vyres 240

And the VNC server started with that command line:
x11vnc -auth guess -forever -loop -noxdamage -repeat -rfbauth ~/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 5900 -shared -geometry 400x240

Attachments

• 2020-10-16_22-13-58.402_top.bmp
    281.3 KB · Views: 208

IGHOR

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
t.me
XP
Country
United States
I cannot reproduce the issue. Can you post a screenshot of both your 3DS screens and the RPi screen?

Edit: One side note: The server screen is transmitted to TinyVNC using JPEG compression which is a lossy image format. This means, the VNC screen will never be a 1:1 copy of the server screen - it will always have very slight differences. Maybe this is what you are referring to?

x11vnc -auth guess -forever -loop -noxdamage -repeat -rfbauth ~/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 5900 -shared -geometry 400x240

Started Tightvnc and it looks much better now!

Badda

me too
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Tokelau

Yes, this is the JPEG-compression. If you move the mouse over the blurry screen portions, they should clear up.

How to open or bind the Right Mouse click button? Or context menu?
You need to edit the file /3ds/TinyVNC/keymap and assign the right mouse button (5) to a 3DS key.

If connection is lost and trying to close the app, it is stuck forever on waiting.
Hm, this would be a bug. Will check into that ...

Last edited by Badda,

alcazar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this might be a silly question, but I'm trying to use TightVNC inside of a VirtualBox vm and I can't quite figure out how to connect to the VM. I was able to connect to a VNC server on my host PC just fine, and from what I've been able to find, connecting to a VM should be an identical process (for reasons I admit I don't really understand ). I've also tried with ports both 3389 and 5900 but no dice. The 3DS and host PC are on the same network, and by all rights it really should work since I was easily able to connect to a server on my pc normally. Any guidance would be appreciated ^_^

Badda

me too
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Tokelau
So this might be a silly question, but I'm trying to use TightVNC inside of a VirtualBox vm and I can't quite figure out how to connect to the VM. I was able to connect to a VNC server on my host PC just fine, and from what I've been able to find, connecting to a VM should be an identical process (for reasons I admit I don't really understand ). I've also tried with ports both 3389 and 5900 but no dice. The 3DS and host PC are on the same network, and by all rights it really should work since I was easily able to connect to a server on my pc normally. Any guidance would be appreciated ^_^
It depends on how your network adapter is configured for your virtual machine. If you want your VM to be visible to the outside network, you need NAT with port forwarding or bridged networking. I recommend the later. See here: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html#networkingmodes

Last edited by Badda,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over